You are here:

German Law/Interruptions of residence


Dear Sir,

I was in Germany for study and part time student work for two years. Then I moved to Netherlands for 5 years for study and work. Since last 3 years, I am now in Germany for work. I have PhD and working in big company. I paid tax for 9 years in EU.
Question: Will my previous years (2 years) spent in Germany will count towards naturalization? I have interuption of stay in Germay. I am non-eu and have blue card.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Krunal Verma

Hello Krunal,

yes, your previous stay in Germany can be counted towards naturalization, 12b II StAG.

It usually will be counted if you spent these two years in a way that helped you to get integrated in Germany, particularly to learn the language. Because you were a student, that is usually the case. It would help if you could show that you learnt German back then and that you still maintain the knowledge of German and have improved it since (in other words, that you didn't start from zero again three years ago).

All the best!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.