German Law/Interruptions of residence

Question
Dear Sir,

I was in Germany for study and part time student work for two years. Then I moved to Netherlands for 5 years for study and work. Since last 3 years, I am now in Germany for work. I have PhD and working in big company. I paid tax for 9 years in EU.
Question: Will my previous years (2 years) spent in Germany will count towards naturalization? I have interuption of stay in Germay. I am non-eu and have blue card.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Krunal Verma

Answer
Hello Krunal,

yes, your previous stay in Germany can be counted towards naturalization, 12b II StAG.

It usually will be counted if you spent these two years in a way that helped you to get integrated in Germany, particularly to learn the language. Because you were a student, that is usually the case. It would help if you could show that you learnt German back then and that you still maintain the knowledge of German and have improved it since (in other words, that you didn't start from zero again three years ago).

All the best!

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser