You are here:

German Law/Study information


I am asylum seeker with family. I got admission in university. Can i change my status?or what can i do which is good for me


Yes, you can change your status to student residence permit.

What you should do depends on the chances of your asylum application. If you think that it could be successful (in cases of political, ethnic or religious persecution), then you should maintain it. If you know that it will eventually be denied, you might as well switch to the residence permit as a student. Just don't withdraw your asylum application formally until you actually have the new residence permit.

Welcome to Germany and all the best to you and your family!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.