German Law/Accepting Fatherhood of an Unborn Child

Question
Hello, I was chatting with a person from the German Consulate in the United States about visas. He suggested I go to Germany and visit the Standesmat at my fiance hometown, and accept fatherhood of our unborn child. I would receive a certificate of some sort and then go to the Immigration Office to get a residency card. I really didn't understand all this and what documentation I would need at both offices. I have searched online for information, but really haven't come up with anything as of yet. My fiance is a german citizen and I am american. Thank you for your thoughts and time...Charles

Answer
Actually, that information is not quite correct.

Paternity of a German child does NOT entitle you to a residence permit in Germany.

Only (partial/shared/full) custody over a German child living in Germany does. For that, you need either the mother's consent or a Family Court order. I would advise to speak to the mother and if she is willing to sign a joint custody declaration, then you are indeed on track to a residence permit in Germany. If not, everything will be much more complicated because you would need to convince a German Family Court to give you shared custody. But first steps first.

Good luck!

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser