You are here:

German Law/Sufficient documentation jus sanguinis?


I have my German grandfather's german birth certificate
His Marriage in UK certicate to my English grandmother
His Death certificate in ww2 UK interment camp for aliens
(Libury Hall.Herts) 1943.
My grandmothers Internment (as enemy alien) exemption document.
My grandmothers denaturalization document..she gave up German Citizenship and became British again, after he died.
My father's birth certificate, he was born in London, during their marriage.
My own birth certificate.

Is this collection of official documents sufficient for my own jus sanguinis German citizenship, please tell? Thank you for reading my question!
Jeanette Leuers

Probably not quite. It always depends on the consular official dealing with your case, but they will most likely ask for proof of your grandfather's or your father's German citizenship.

Do you have any of your grandfather's old passports? If not, you would look for documents that indicate his citizenship or you would contact the authorities in Germany where he was born and where he last lived. They might still have the pre-WW2 records if they weren't destroyed.

All the best!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.