German Law/US citizen investigating German ius sanguinis

Question
Hello!  I'm keen to find out whether I qualify for German citizenship thanks to my paternal great-grandfather being born in Germany in 1856.  I found his name on the US Naturalization records for 1875 (before my grandfather was born), and I suspect this may make it impossible for me to claim citizenship.

If that's not a deal-breaker, my grandfather was born in 1907, my father was born in 1947, and I was born in 1969.  None of us served in the US military.

Thanks!

Answer
Hello David,

when your great-grandfather was naturalized in 1875, he did indeed lose his German citizenship in the process and was thus unable to pass it on.

Apart from that, many Germans living abroad lost German citizenship between 1871 and 1913 when they failed to register at a German consulate every 10 years.

Sorry,

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser