German Law/Power of Attorney

Question
My husbands cousin has passed away and left some land and a house. Since we live in Canada, I need to get a power of attorney so that a friend of the family can speak and make decisions on our behalf.  Does this have to be in German?  Where do I find the form and do I need to get it Notarized.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kerstin Melzer

Answer
Hello Kerstin,

theoretically, there are no requirements as to the form and language of a power of attorney ( 167 II BGB), but in practice it will cause problems and endless questions and requests for your confirmation if the POA is not in German and not notarized.

The best thing would be to go to the nearest German consulate and do it there.

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser