German Law/Child support after move to USA

Do I still have to pay child support if my child, who was a German citizen; has been living in the United States for over 10 years and is now a us citizen?

You may still have to pay child support, depending on the age of your child, your income, the child's income and the law of the state that the child lives in.

But definitely this does not fall under German jurisdiction. If there is still an old German court order, you may have to get it amended/cancelled, although it would be preferable to have this done in agreement with the child (or their representative) instead of having to go back to court in Germany.

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK