German Law/Staying in Germany after death of German husband

Question
can i stay in germany after the death of my german husband? im unemployed and been here 2 years now. what is my legal rights as a wife.my deceased husband has one son. he is now 33 years old.

Answer
Dear Jing,

I am very sorry to hear about your husband's death.

Unfortunately, you would have needed to stay in Germany for three years at least in order to receive a residence permit which is independent of the marriage ( 31 I nr. 1 AufenthG).

You can therefore only remain in Germany if you apply for a different residence permit based on another reason, either as a student, for employment or as a businessperson.

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser