German Law/Work Permit (Aufenthalstittel) to Permanent Residence Permit

I have been working as an expert (Manager) with a large multinational organisation of German origin company in Germany for one year on Work + Residence Permit (Aufenthalstittel). I fall in higher tax bracket and regualrly pay towards Pension Scheme of Germany. I am a Non-EU citzen, orginally from Pakistan.
I would like to know conditions I must fulfill to convert this Permit to Permanent Residence Permit of Germany on its two years' expiry and later I may apply for German Citizenship.

Hello Syed,

welcome to Germany!

The permanent residence is usually granted after five years, but there are exceptions for highly qualified applicants ( 19 I AufenthG), although this is mostly applied to academics ( 19 II AufenthG).

But even without a permanent residence, as long as you have your job, your residence permit will always be renewed. There is no quota system or so. Anybody who qualifies (mostly measured by the income), is entitled to a residence permit.

In any case, the permanent residence requires some German language skills, which are also required for your eventual naturalization as a German citizen. You can apply for German citizenship after living in Germany for 6 years if you will speak German at least at B2 level and if you can show that you are well integrated (preferably with some social or cultural activities).

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK