German Law/Work Permit (Aufenthalstittel) to Permanent Residence Permit

Question
Hi

I have been working as an expert (Manager) with a large multinational organisation of German origin company in Germany for one year on Work + Residence Permit (Aufenthalstittel). I fall in higher tax bracket and regualrly pay towards Pension Scheme of Germany. I am a Non-EU citzen, orginally from Pakistan.
I would like to know conditions I must fulfill to convert this Permit to Permanent Residence Permit of Germany on its two years' expiry and later I may apply for German Citizenship.

Regards

Syed

Answer
Hello Syed,

welcome to Germany!

The permanent residence is usually granted after five years, but there are exceptions for highly qualified applicants ( 19 I AufenthG), although this is mostly applied to academics ( 19 II AufenthG).

But even without a permanent residence, as long as you have your job, your residence permit will always be renewed. There is no quota system or so. Anybody who qualifies (mostly measured by the income), is entitled to a residence permit.

In any case, the permanent residence requires some German language skills, which are also required for your eventual naturalization as a German citizen. You can apply for German citizenship after living in Germany for 6 years if you will speak German at least at B2 level and if you can show that you are well integrated (preferably with some social or cultural activities).

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser