You are here:

German Law/getting marry in Germany


Respected Sir,

Im Shahzad, originally from pakistan. Currently residing in germany and applied for asylum. My asylum is still in process. It is not rejected yet. Now i want to marry with my German girl friend. But my name is a little bit different according to my passport. I mean, i applied adylume with a bit different name and in my passport is bit different name. Please let me know what should i do? Can i get an appointment for marriage?

Thanks in advance,

Your sincerely,

Dear Shahzad,

you can get married in Germany while your asylum process is still pending, but you need to use your real name. You will need to provide a passport, a birth certificate and a certificate from Pakistan stating that you are single or widowed and thus eligible to marry.

All of this has to be in your real name, otherwise it will cause problems later.

Once you are married, you will get a residence permit for Germany based on the marriage ( 28 I AufenthG), so you don't necessarily need to pursue the asylum process. But my advice on that would depend on the prospects of that process.

Good luck!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.