German Law/ius sanguinis

Hi Andreas

My mother's great great grandfather was born in Meiningen in 1834. He joined the British German Legion from 1855-1860 then settled in South Africa.

Does this disqualify my mother from a path to German citizenship via ius sanguinis?

Germany was founded/united in 1871 which was 11 years after he was discharged from service.

Kind regards

Hello Phil,

because there was no German citizenship until 1871, I would need to know what citizenship your great-great-grandfather had. Then I would need to research the citizenship laws of that state, which obviously goes beyond what I can provide here for free.

But in such a long line there are usually other disqualifying events. See my other answers or the many questions and answers below my FAQ on this subject:

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK