German Law/Student Visa

Hello, I am David. I could not locate anybody to answer my query and I could only see you fit to answer my query. Hence I put my question to you.

I was enrolled for Masters study in Germany from winter 2014. But the course I was enrolled in, turned out to be more theoretical and hardly there were hardly any practical aspect being taught so I lost interest and later decided to quit and return to my home country. After returning I took up some odd jobs hoping to get a better one later , but later the job opportunities turned out to be kind of scarce. It has been an year now and still no hope for a better job, so I made a plan to apply again for masters in Germany but I am worried with the visa interview.
I am afraid how should I explain my situation during visa interview, so that I get a fair chance of visa approval rather than get rejected because I didn't complete the previous studies period.
Please guide me in this situation.

Dear David,

I would explain it honestly.

Obviously, it will raise some questions, but I don't see any better story than the truth in this case. Also, you left Germany when you lost interest, so that is much better than someone who lost interest in the MA program and stayed in Germany to work and thus abused the student visa.

You will also have to be prepared to explain what was the problem with the first course, what is the difference to the second course and how you have prepared yourself and done more research this time.

If you have been accepted by the university and you can show the financial resources, you should get the student visa. After all, you have already demonstrated that you are not interested in staying in Germany beyond the visa or illegally.

Good luck!
Alles Gute und viel Erfolg!

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK