You are here:

German Law/Adopted mother in nursing home


I was born in Germany and came to US when mother married US soldier.  Mother died and father gave sister and I up.  A German married to an American adopted us.  We lived with them for 5 years .  They got divorced and she went back to Germany.  We ended up in the foster system in US.
German mother that adopted us is in nursing home and can not afford bill.  Can Germany garnish our wages? Or Bill us for nursing care.  Her brother si trying to do so.

As fas as I know the German-American Judicial Assistance Convention regulates only child support. However, depending on the legal effects of the adoption, Germany could bill for parental support. However, the retention for someone obligated to parental support of his monthly income would be 1.800 € plus another of 1.440 € for his spouse plus further retentions for each child he has to support according to the Düsseldorfer Tabelle.  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Henning Haarhaus


I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.


Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS


German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist

©2017 All rights reserved.