German Law/Is there still an inheritance?

Question
Many years ago, my now deceased grandmother received word from a lawyer in Germany that she'd been left an inheritance. However, her husband (my grandfather) would not allow her to pursue the matter, claiming it would cost more to go to collect than it would be worth.  I am curious, however, what the inheritance was and if, in Germany, it's still being held.  

Many thanks.

Answer
Upon the deathof an individual his successor diectly steps into the shoes of the deceased in regard to his/ her ownership titles andliabilities unless the inheritance has been waived by declaration to the court. For this reason, in Germany there is no procedure of distribution like a probate. As a general rule, it is up to the heirs to pick up the inheritance themselves and gather respective information. I would advise to get in touch with the lawyer or the local court of the district where your grandmother had her last residence because it could be that the lawyer had been appointed as curator of the estate because the whereabout of your grandmother had been unkown. In this case, there is a chance to find an estate inventory in the lawyers files or in the court files.  

German Law

Henning Haarhaus