German Law/German Naturalisation

Question
My girlfriend and I plan to marry at the end of this month. I also would like to start the countdown for naturalisation process. The problem is we will live abroad, not in germany. I read your article on naturalisation abroad. This situation suits me. What i wanted to know is if i have to get a resident permit. If marriage is enough to apply for german citizenship after required time, i wont go through this process.
Regards

Answer
Without you and your wife living in Germany you cannot get a residence permit.

But you should know that naturalization from abroad is granted in very exceptional and special cases only: https://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/naturalization-in-germany-from-abroad/ It's not an automatic thing after a certain period of time.  

German Law

Andreas Moser