You are here:

German Law/German Naturalisation


My girlfriend and I plan to marry at the end of this month. I also would like to start the countdown for naturalisation process. The problem is we will live abroad, not in germany. I read your article on naturalisation abroad. This situation suits me. What i wanted to know is if i have to get a resident permit. If marriage is enough to apply for german citizenship after required time, i wont go through this process.

Without you and your wife living in Germany you cannot get a residence permit.

But you should know that naturalization from abroad is granted in very exceptional and special cases only: It's not an automatic thing after a certain period of time.  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.