German Law/Secondment counting towards naturalisation

Hello Andreas,

There's a possibility that I will be seconded to Germany next year for up to two years. At the end, I may choose to remain in Germany and continue my life there. During the two year secondment I would be paying into the UK National Health insurance and claiming health costs off this.

My question is, would these two years of secondment count towards the 8 years required for naturalisation? Also, does the 8 years have to be consecutive (i.e. with no gaps in it).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Dear Matt,

the 8 years (which are only 6 years if you speak German at B2 level) do not need to be consecutive. Up to 5 years of a previous stay can be recognised (§ 12b II StAG), so only the last 1-3 years need to be consecutive.

However, it would help if you are paying taxes and social contributions in Germany during your time, for otherwise it might be questionable if you were really a full "resident" in Germany.

Viel Erfolg!

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK