German Law/Secondment counting towards naturalisation

Question
Hello Andreas,

There's a possibility that I will be seconded to Germany next year for up to two years. At the end, I may choose to remain in Germany and continue my life there. During the two year secondment I would be paying into the UK National Health insurance and claiming health costs off this.

My question is, would these two years of secondment count towards the 8 years required for naturalisation? Also, does the 8 years have to be consecutive (i.e. with no gaps in it).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Matt

Answer
Dear Matt,

the 8 years (which are only 6 years if you speak German at B2 level) do not need to be consecutive. Up to 5 years of a previous stay can be recognised (§ 12b II StAG), so only the last 1-3 years need to be consecutive.

However, it would help if you are paying taxes and social contributions in Germany during your time, for otherwise it might be questionable if you were really a full "resident" in Germany.

Viel Erfolg!

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser