German Law/German citizenship via adoption

Question
Good Day,

I am a person adopted by a German citizen.  My adoption took place December of 2008 in Nigeria. I was told that I had to have my adoption recognised by the German government, which I have done and  AMTSGERICHT SCHÖNEBERG  Abteilung fur Familiensachen BESCHLUSS was given. After receiving this decree I went to the German Embassy to get my passport made and I was rejected. The embassy said my father naturalised in 2009 just 2months after my adoption, therefore I have no claim to a German passport.
What can I do now?
Can I still naturalise has I don't live in Germany?

Answer
Your adoption came two months too early indeed.
It comes too late for you, but because this is a public forum: This shows the value of contacting a lawyer  BEFORE you start the adoption process.

There is a theoretical possibility to get naturalized as a German citizen without living in Germany (§ 14 StAG) but you need to have very deep, consisting and strong ties to Germany. The minimum requirement is fluency in German at a very high level.
You find more about this possibility in my FAQ on that section of the German Citizenship Act: https://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/naturalization-in-germany-from-abroad/

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser