You are here:

German Law/How to get married to a rejected refugee


My boyfriend is from Pakistan, his asyle it rejected.We want to marry here in Germany is that possible? They told him to go back to his country, but how? He doesn't have any passport. I'm not German but i have my residence here. What can i do to get married to him?.

Hello Coral,

your boyfriend should be able to get a passport from the Pakistani Consulate.
I understand that he may not want that for fear of being deported, but that just means that you need to be really quick with the marriage (and prepare everything perfectly).

Theoretically, it's possible to get married without a passport, but then he needs to provide other documents that show his identity. He will also need to get a confirmation from Pakistan that he is still single there.

You would need the same document from your country.

If the process of getting married in Germany is too complicated, you may want to look into the option of getting married in Denmark. It's generally easier there, but I think they may also ask for his passport. (Because marriage has so many legal consequences, most countries are very reluctant to marry someone whose identity is not proven.)

The last option of course would be to go to Pakistan together and get married there. Depending on your citizenship, your residence type, your income and his language skills and qualifications, he could then apply for a family reunion visa to join you in Germany.

I have some general FAQ on getting married:
but in your case, I would need to know all the specific points mentioned above. Unfortunately, that would also go beyond what I can provide for free.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]