German Law/Questions Answered by Expert Andreas Moser

SubjectDate Asked
Age of consent in Germany3/17/2017
  Q: Is it true that 14 years is the age of consent in Germany? Is it legal, for example, for a ...
  A: yes, the age of consent is 14 years in Germany (§ 176 StGB). As with other statutes in Germany, 14 ...
USA Asylum In Germany?3/14/2017
  Q: I am a registered sex offender in the united states. I am discriminated against for housing and ...
  A: Germany only grants asylum to victims of political or religious persecution or people who are ...
Short trip abroad.3/10/2017
  Q: I have a friend who lives in Germany. She's married and she took their baby to a little trip, to ...
  A: 1) Because the mother returned soon, she doesn't need to fear a proceeding under the Hague ...
Born 1962 to German mother and American father2/26/2017
  Q: my question is about acquiring German citizenship, however my background to this question is rather ...
  A: you have two options: a) You could apply for naturalization from abroad based on being the child of ...
Sole custody right in Germany2/24/2017
  Q: I am an American living abroad in Germany. 5 months ago I married an Estonian man and gave birth to ...
  A: your rights as the mother are exactly the same as those of the father. You are both parents, you ...
What age can a child say they don't want to see the other parent?2/21/2017
  Q: I have a 16 year old son that lives with me in the US. His dad lives in Germany. The divorce and ...
  A: the information you received is wrong (a), but it is also irrelevant (b) (a) Under German law, the ...
German land title / US citizens2/16/2017
  Q: Our family (deceased parents, surviving adult children) are naturalized US citizens, all born in ...
  A: the "Erbscheinantrag" actually is something different, it's a request with the local court in ...
Marriage Status for us citizen who married German2/1/2017
  Q: I have a pretty complicated question. Back in 1995, while I was a student at the university in ...
  A: first of all, if she still lives in Germany, it shouldn't be too hard to find out where she lives. ...
About Marriage Visa and Separation1/28/2017
  Q: First of all, i would like to thank you for kind informations and making it an open source that ...
  A: For the first 3 years of your stay in Germany, i.e. until July 2017, the residence permit is indeed ...
Asylum for US citizen in Germany1/25/2017
  Q: my name is Rose and im a 19 year old trans girl from the United States. As you're probably aware, ...
  A: I am following the situation in your country closely and have great sympathies, but there is not ...
Spousal Support (alimony)1/17/2017
  Q: I am divorced and have a court order to pay alimony. It is a set dollar amount. I am looking to ...
  A: a civil judgment would not impact your immigration status in any way. You may also want to consider ...
German citizenship via adoption1/6/2017
  Q: Good Day, I am a person adopted by a German citizen. My adoption took place December of 2008 in ...
  A: Your adoption came two months too early indeed. It comes too late for you, but because this is a ...
Discretionary naturalisation in Germany12/30/2016
  Q: I'm a British citizen who has been living in Germany for four years. I realised pretty early on that ...
  A: discretionary early naturalisation is usually only granted for athletes who will represent German in ...
Tabelle duesseldorf 201712/24/2016
  Q: please I need your help. For the year 2016, I was using the page 6 - "1. und 2. Kind" - line 10 ...
  A: here http://www.refrago.de/duesseldorfer_tabelle_2017_-_leitlinie_fuer_den_kindesunterhalt.html you ...
Marriage in Germany12/8/2016
  Q: I am from india and I came to poland with visa. My visa was until 29-11-2016 and then I got stamped ...
  A: It would be much easier for both of you to fly to India, get married in India, and then apply for a ...
Applying for citizenship during stay abroad12/3/2016
  Q: I hold a German permanent residency (unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis) and meet all requirements ...
  A: you can avoid losing the permanent residence permit by returning to Germany at least once every 6 ...
asylum rejection but has appeal by by my law.but but want to get marry12/1/2016
  Q: i am mr j from nigeria, but have seeks for an asylum in germany as a homosexual male but have just ...
  A: You can get married to your girlfriend if you can manage to do it in time before you would be ...
German citizenship application with previous stays11/19/2016
  Q: I recently applied for the German citizenship after being in total over 6 years here. In 2007 & 2008 ...
  A: because the letter is basically promising you that you will receive German citizenship in June 2017, ...
Recognition of Danish marriage in Germany11/11/2016
  Q: I recently got married with my girlfriend in Denmark to avoid complicated German bureaucracy. I have ...
  A: as Denmark is another EU state, the recognition or validity of its marriages are usually no problem ...
german citizenship11/8/2016
  Q: My husband is a 30 year old , US citizen living in NYC, and his father is a german citizen , very ...
  A: If your husband's father still had German citizenship at the time of your husband's birth, your ...
Becoming a German citizen if you have not resided there11/7/2016
  Q: I am an American citizen married to a German citizen. We have resided in the German speaking part of ...
  A: in addition to the ties you have, you would also need professional ties to Germany through your ...
Its complicated11/4/2016
  Q: I was on asylum in Germany for about 2years and 10 months then i got deported back to Pakistan on 18 ...
  A: oh yes, that's absolutely possible. In fact, that's the easiest way. You just need to make sure ...
child matience10/30/2016
  Q: if a child born of phillipine mother and german father is the father under german law required to ...
  A: Yes. German family law postulates the obligation for the non-custodial parent to financially ...
Child visitation rights.10/26/2016
  Q: I am a UK resident and apart of the British Army. I was married to a German National and we have a ...
  A: like you, I don't see any reason to stop the flights to the UK. They have been going on for a long ...
German Passport for non-EU citizens10/18/2016
  Q: As engineer, I have been living and working in Bavaria since 4 years now. My level of German is B2. ...
  A: no, there is really no chance to obtain German citizenship by naturalization before you have ...
StAngRegG and Citizenship by Descent9/11/2016
  Q: After reading the various FAQs on your website, my circumstances appear to be a somewhat unique case ...
  A: that is a rather peculiar case indeed. § 9 I StAngRegG indeed does not refer to the requirement to ...
Wiedereinbürgerung9/10/2016
  Q: My mother was born in Berlin to Jewish parents. She found herself in war-torn France in June 1940, ...
  A: besides your mother's marriage, we have another problem: Until 1953, you could only receive German ...
Renewing permanent residence card?8/27/2016
  Q: I'm married to a German, lived in Germany for 4 years, and obtained the permanent resident (PR) ...
  A: your residence permit in Germany normally expires once you leave Germany for more than 6 months (§ ...
Secondment counting towards naturalisation8/22/2016
  Q: There's a possibility that I will be seconded to Germany next year for up to two years. At the end, ...
  A: the 8 years (which are only 6 years if you speak German at B2 level) do not need to be consecutive. ...
Power of Attorney Dissolution8/21/2016
  Q: Does the Power of Attorney cease upon the death of the person you have the POA on - in Germany- as ...
  A: § 168 BGB [the German Civil Code]: When the POA ceases is based on the underlying contractual ...
German Naturalisation8/11/2016
  Q: My girlfriend and I plan to marry at the end of this month. I also would like to start the countdown ...
  A: Without you and your wife living in Germany you cannot get a residence permit. But you should know ...
Art 116 Par 2/adopted descendants' eligibility7/30/2016
  Q: I have looked through and can't find this question answered elsewhere, and hope that it may be ...
  A: My wishlist is indeed always up to date: ...
§ 14 StAG financial requirements7/29/2016
  Q: It has certainly been very informative. I see that you recently answered a couple of questions about ...
  A: 1) There is no minimum income. You would need to show that if you were to move to Germany, you could ...
Child Support after 187/23/2016
  Q: My husband's daughter recently turned 18, and has been living in the US for the last few years with ...
  A: your husband has nothing to worry about. If he has an e-mail or a letter from mother and/or child ...
§14 StAG: strong ties and the public interest7/12/2016
  Q: I've worked out that my only possible route to Einbürgerung (without living in Germany for 6 years) ...
  A: while you do have considerable ties to Germany, they do not reach the level required for an ...
Questions Regarding § 14 StAG7/6/2016
  Q: I’ve applied for naturalization from abroad under § 14 StAG and am almost one year into the waiting ...
  A: the cases of applicants born to German mothers prior to 1975 are usually granted because the current ...
German citizenship after Brexit6/30/2016
  Q: After the disastrous referendum in the UK, I am keen to find out if I can get German citizenship. My ...
  A: I share your dismay about the result of the Brexit referendum, but unfortunately in your case there ...
German birth mother but adopted by a British family.6/28/2016
  Q: I wonder if you can help. I would like to know if I have any entitlement to German citizenship by ...
  A: as your mother was German at the time of your birth, you automatically received German citizenship ...
UK citizen, after Brexit6/27/2016
  Q: hope you're having a good time on your travels. I came here from your blog so have read about the ...
  A: sorry for my late reply, but as you can imagine I am getting inundated with questions from British ...
Paternity Test After Adoption6/21/2016
  Q: Moser! My fiancé has a child with a woman in Germany, or so we believed. After doing some digging, ...
  A: I think there is some confusion here. 1) If your fiancé and the mother were not married, then he ...
divorce in germany6/19/2016
  Q: I would appreciate if you could provide some information regarding how is the divorce proceedings in ...
  A: he doesn't really need to wait for the 3 years. After being separated for one year, he can file ...
Documents for ius sanguinis6/13/2016
  Q: I am interested in applying for confirmation of German nationality by descent, and while doing ...
  A: the census documents are not 100% proof because they rely on self-reporting, but in the absence of ...
Adoption / Citizenship Question5/24/2016
  Q: Hope you're well! I came across your site while researching German citizenship on the web. While ...
  A: the first question is if your mother was ever German in the first place. That depends on whether her ...
Obligation to provide information about income5/6/2016
  Q: I'm a German citizen but I live in Atlanta. I have no residence in Germany. Do I have to tell the ...
  A: If the German Youth Office has been asked to legally represent your child by your child's ...
Deutscher Pass fuer in Australien geborenes Kind einer gleichgeschlechtlichen Partnerschaft4/27/2016
  Q: Lieber Andreas, Ich hatte mich letzten Juni mit Fragen bezueglich einer Staatsangehörigkeitsfrage ...
  A: Hallo Anne, aufgrund des Satzes "Es wird sich zeigen, ob diese Haltung des BMI in Kürze durch ...
Establishing paternity. India & Germany4/6/2016
  Q: My daughter who is an Indian citizen met and fell in love with a German citizen while studying in ...
  A: 1) It's not true that the child will have to decide between German or Indian citizenship later. He ...
ius sanguinis3/29/2016
  Q: My mother's great great grandfather was born in Meiningen in 1834. He joined the British German ...
  A: because there was no German citizenship until 1871, I would need to know what citizenship your ...
Student Visa3/24/2016
  Q: I am David. I could not locate anybody to answer my query and I could only see you fit to answer my ...
  A: I would explain it honestly. Obviously, it will raise some questions, but I don't see any better ...
Do i lose my German citizenship?3/14/2016
  Q: Andreas, Do children born to a German mother and a forgien father, who have been divorced and ...
  A: don't worry: If your children obtained German citizenship when they were born (which depends on ...
Passports with Sole Custody3/11/2016
  Q: Mr. Moser! About five years ago, I had a child with a German woman who, at the time, was residing in ...
  A: 1) I would find it highly doubtful that anyone adopted your child if you are registered as the ...
Int'l Paternity Germany-USA3/2/2016
  Q: My name is Adam Ifergan, I live in NY. I'm in a terrible situation. Met a German Girl on vacation in ...
  A: I am very sorry that the relationship turned out like this. And the geographical distance doesn't ...
getting marry in Germany2/26/2016
  Q: Respected Sir, Im Shahzad, originally from pakistan. Currently residing in germany and applied for ...
  A: you can get married in Germany while your asylum process is still pending, but you need to use your ...
Citizenship after leaving Germany in 19752/21/2016
  Q: The case that I require your consultation for is about my father and his chance to get the German ...
  A: theoretically it is possible to receive German citizenship after applying for naturalization from ...
German Immigration Law x Constitutional Principles2/20/2016
  Q: I am a brazilian citizen from german origins, from both mother and father sides. I've been reading ...
  A: no, there is no chance. When an injustice is detected, it needs to be rectified. This happened in ...
Divorce & child custody2/9/2016
  Q: I am Indonesian married to German husband 3.5 years ago. We have a 2 years old daughter and ...
  A: obviously, option 1 & 2 contradict each other, so you definitely cannot file for both. 1. Yes, you ...
Work Permit (Aufenthalstittel) to Permanent Residence Permit1/18/2016
  Q: I have been working as an expert (Manager) with a large multinational organisation of German origin ...
  A: welcome to Germany! The permanent residence is usually granted after five years, but there are ...
Staying in Germany after death of German husband1/13/2016
  Q: can i stay in germany after the death of my german husband? im unemployed and been here 2 years now. ...
  A: I am very sorry to hear about your husband's death. Unfortunately, you would have needed to stay in ...
German Citizenship1/12/2016
  Q: Hallo, I am originally citizen of India married to a Naturalised German Citizen,I have ...
  A: residence in Germany is one of the requirements for naturalization in Germany (with a few ...
Citizenship if born to Turkish parents1/11/2016
  Q: My partner was born In Germany In 1985 and lived there till he was 9. His parents are both turkish ...
  A: Unfortunately, he is not eligible for German citizenship because Germany did not yet have "ius soli" ...
German Passport1/11/2016
  Q: I first of all want to say that you seem to be one of the most helpful and knowledgable people on ...
  A: As your father gave up German citizenship before your birth, he couldn't pass it on to you. So your ...
Child support after move to USA1/7/2016
  Q: Do I still have to pay child support if my child, who was a German citizen; has been living in the ...
  A: You may still have to pay child support, depending on the age of your child, your income, the ...
Unterhaltsvorschussgesetz claim12/27/2015
  Q: As the foreign father of a German child with a single mother, I am waiting for the Jugendamt to ...
  A: First of all, keep in mind that the Jugendamt cannot force you to pay anything. They are a social ...
Client wants fixed address12/17/2015
  Q: again, many thanks for your last reply! I really appreciate your help. I have a new client from ...
  A: My advice - and the way I do it - is to use your current foreign address. Why would you want to ...
Tax as a freelancer without fixed postal address12/13/2015
  Q: I wrote to you several months ago about filing a German tax return if I am not a resident of Germany ...
  A: first of all, THANK YOU for your donation! If your situation is still the same as in your last ...
marriage to asylum seeker12/2/2015
  Q: I am a UK resident and my boyfriend is currently claiming asylum in Germany. He has been told we ...
  A: whoever told your boyfriend that was wrong. As you rightfully point out, marriage is a human right ...
Divorce of German marriage in US10/22/2015
  Q: I am a german and a legal alian of the U.S.and will be naturalized as a U.S, citizen.I am returning ...
  A: yes, if you have residence in the US, the state in which you live has jurisdiction over your divorce ...
Wie bekomme ich meine deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft zurück?10/17/2015
  Q: Hallo Herr Moser, Ich bin vor 8 Jahren von Deutschland in die USA gezogen. Ich bin mit einem ...
  A: Hallo Ramona, es besteht die Möglichkeit, die deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft trotz Ihres Aufenthalts ...
Naturalization Through a German Mother10/9/2015
  Q: I looked at some earlier replies you had provided on this. My understanding is that I would qualify ...
  A: first of all, thank you very much for your donation! You fall under the special category of people ...
Asylum seeker from Kosovo marrying German boyfriend9/29/2015
  Q: I will tell u little my history.. I'm from the march together with my German boyfriend but we have ...
  A: you basically have three options: 1) You can get married in Germany. You don't need to have a legal ...
U.S. Divorce decree vs. German law9/24/2015
  Q: I married a German woman while based in Germany for the U.S. army. We moved back to the U.S., had a ...
  A: in this case, both the US and Germany have competing jurisdiction. Because there is no more US ...
US citizen investigating German ius sanguinis9/16/2015
  Q: I'm keen to find out whether I qualify for German citizenship thanks to my paternal ...
  A: when your great-grandfather was naturalized in 1875, he did indeed lose his German citizenship in ...
Power of Attorney9/9/2015
  Q: My husbands cousin has passed away and left some land and a house. Since we live in Canada, I need ...
  A: theoretically, there are no requirements as to the form and language of a power of attorney (§ 167 ...
Keep US Cititzenship via StAG§12_1_5 and StAG§12_1_49/7/2015
  Q: I have a question I have not seen addressed directly. I am a 60+ US citizen applying for German ...
  A: regarding § 12 I no. 4 StAG we probably really don't have a case. The issue with § 12 I no. 5 StAG ...
Germany nationality for spouse9/5/2015
  Q: I am German National I am living in United Kingdom since five years. My first Child was born in UK ...
  A: Without living in Germany, that's very hard. Your wife would need to speak fluent German and show ...
Non-EU Countries for Second Non-German Citizenship8/26/2015
  Q: I wasn't able to find an answer to this, if it already exists please do point me to it: I'm a ...
  A: the list of countries which make it impossible/hard to renounce their citizenship is not relevant ...
Duldung... marrying swiss citizen in Germany8/23/2015
  Q: my name is Amin and i am from Pakistan. I applied for asylum in Germany and currently i have duldung ...
  A: yes, you can get married in Germany. If you have no passport and the Pakistani embassy in Germany ...
Sufficient documentation jus sanguinis?8/14/2015
  Q: I have my German grandfather's german birth certificate His Marriage in UK certicate to my English ...
  A: Probably not quite. It always depends on the consular official dealing with your case, but they will ...
German citizenship/residence permit having a German Father8/13/2015
  Q: First of all I really hold in high regard your work, dedication, and quality of your answers. I also ...
  A: I am actually going to move to Latin America at the end of this year and will then travel around ...
How to require a german residence permit with Asylum Seeker?8/12/2015
  Q: Mr.X is from Africa, a country which need a visa to enter Germany. Mr.X entered Germany with a Visit ...
  A: This mysterious Mr X can apply for a residence permit based on § 28 I AufenthG due to being married ...
Is the 8-years residency requirement is full 8-years?8/10/2015
  Q: I found your answers much helpful yet I didn't actually find an answer to a specific issue, The ...
  A: If you did it like that, it would be very hard for you to show that you were indeed a "resident" of ...
child support with other child in Nigeria8/7/2015
  Q: am nigerian i have lived in germany for 7yrs i have germany residence permit and i have a child with ...
  A: German law does of course recognize the equality of all children that you are supporting. You only ...
Can my daughter and I become German citizens?8/5/2015
  Q: Good day Andreas. My husband is a German citizen (born in Germany, living in South Africa with ...
  A: 1) Your daughter already is German because she was born to a German citizen. She can get a German ...
Accepting Fatherhood of an Unborn Child8/4/2015
  Q: I was chatting with a person from the German Consulate in the United States about visas. He ...
  A: Actually, that information is not quite correct. Paternity of a German child does NOT entitle you ...
Study information7/29/2015
  Q: I am asylum seeker with family. I got admission in university. Can i change my status?or what can i ...
  A: Yes, you can change your status to student residence permit. What you should do depends on the ...
child support7/25/2015
  Q: I am currently living in Turkey and a local friend of mine has recieved a letter from an German ex ...
  A: Before we consider the issue of child support, paternity would need to be established. He has two ...
Acquiring German citizenship - moving to Ireland7/25/2015
  Q: ., Im lara a filipina married to a german national. Im currently living in the philippines and 30 ...
  A: 1. For getting a German passport, you only need to apply at the German consulate with your baby's ...
German Citizenship while living abroad7/24/2015
  Q: Moser, I may get married to German girl abroad and I have not visited Germany before. Currently I ...
  A: you can get a residence permit for Germany only if you and your wife will live IN Germany together ...
Marry to German national7/23/2015
  Q: I am from Pakistan i have girlfriend last more than 2 years she is a German National she want marry ...
  A: the German consulate does not perform marriages. You will have to get married according to the ...
Interruptions of residence7/20/2015
  Q: I was in Germany for study and part time student work for two years. Then I moved to Netherlands for ...
  A: yes, your previous stay in Germany can be counted towards naturalization, § 12b II StAG. It usually ...
German citizenship by descent from mother7/16/2015
  Q: My wife was born in Frankfurt, Germany at a US military hospital in 1965 to her German citizen ...
  A: yes, there is a good chance! Germany offers an easier path to naturalization to people like your ...
Duldung marriage german citizen6/28/2015
  Q: I came from ghana and I am asylum seeker in german,my application is rejected and I have duldung me ...
  A: You can apply for a residence permit based on § 28 I AufenthG. You do not need to return to Ghana ...
Can I apply for a German citizenship after 3 years?6/24/2015
  Q: I am about to complete my 3rd year of residence in Germany (March 2016). I am married to a German ...
  A: While having a job is not a requirement for naturalization, it is a requirement that you can ...
German citizenship by descent from mother6/22/2015
  Q: I have read your frequently asked questions section and I can see that you are most definitely an ...
  A: Under German law, German citizenship is lost when the German citizen applies for naturalization in ...
applying for german citizenship while living abroad6/17/2015
  Q: I am the wife of a German national for two years and he has lived outside Germany (Abgemeldet)for ...
  A: Working for a German company and in particular your strong German language skills are positive ...
Deutscher Pass fuer in Australien geborenes Kind einer gleichgeschlechtlichen Partnerschaft6/11/2015
  Q: Hallo Andreas, danke fuer Deine email Anfang der Woche. Hier die Anworten zu den Fragen die Du ...
  A: Hallo Anne, danke für die ausführlichen und für mich interessanten Erklärungen! Ich würde ...
Gay asylum seeker getting married to straight girl.6/11/2015
  Q: I have a friend of mine he seek for asylum with another country but with 2 months he got rejection ...
  A: It's not very consistent, but yes, he can get married to his girlfriend. Depending on the ...
My mother's German Nationality6/8/2015
  Q: Andreas, how are you, nice to meet you. I have a big question regarding whether my mother can ...
  A: yes, your mother can apply for naturalization under a simplified procedure, meaning that she doesn't ...
German Citizenship from mother6/7/2015
  Q: I was born in 1967 (not in Germany or the EU) my mother is German and still holds her German ...
  A: You are eligible for simplified naturalization, meaning that you can apply for German citizenship ...
Acquiring German or British Visa Being a foreigner and Married with a British girl5/25/2015
  Q: I am Salim,currently living in Germany(2 and half year) with a student visa. I recently got married ...
  A: you cannot get a British visa because nobody lives in the UK. Whether you can get a spouse visa ...
Is German Inheritance Law enforceable in UK5/18/2015
  Q: I have received notification from German court stating I am the heir of a relatively Germany. I ...
  A: How enforceable a German court order is in the UK is ultimately a question of UK law, in which I am ...
Back to Germany5/13/2015
  Q: Guten Tag Andreas, Ich hoffe Sie koennen mir folgende Fragen beantworten. Ich bin Deutsche, leber ...
  A: Hallo Jennifer, 1) Als Deutsche können Sie selbstverständlich jederzeit nach Deutschland ziehen. ...
questions about “sabbadico/gap year"5/10/2015
  Q: Good morning, I live outside Germany while my son lives in Germany with his mother. Please I need ...
  A: a) There is no law on this, so it depends on the specific circumstances. I would say that a gap year ...
Visitation- Other Forms legally binding?5/3/2015
  Q: When I was 17, my girlfriend and I had an unexpected pregnancy. Very near to her due date, when she ...
  A: yes, you absolutely have a right to contact with your daughter. And, just as importantly for ...
how long to be married to German woman to get citizenship?4/30/2015
  Q: Hello Mr anderas I have one question I am Pakistani citizenship and before one year ago I got ...
  A: If you are married to a German citizen, the requirements are as follows: - you need to have been ...
Jus sanguinis (right of blood) and German nationality.4/24/2015
  Q: I recently came across your blog while researching Jus sanguinis (right of blood) and German ...
  A: most probably not, for several reasons: - Before 1975, only fathers could pass on German ...
Divorce Decree from Germany4/10/2015
  Q: My name is Dennis, I am trying to find the process to retrieve my divorce decree from Bavaria. My ex ...
  A: there are several options: - If you remember the court that handled the divorce, you can contact ...
Allunment in Germany4/5/2015
  Q: I am contacting you because I have recently got engaged to someone who was in the military and ...
  A: In German law, it's rather complicated to get an annulment, so it doesn't offer any advantage over a ...
Paternity/Child Support3/26/2015
  Q: They had a baby (paternity still not confirmed). He has since been discharged from the Army (under ...
  A: 1. Paternity doesn't need to be established because they are married. The child is assumed to be ...
Residency permit as mother of German child3/25/2015
  Q: Greetings Andreas, Herewith Question 2: Your quota for the day. I am the mother of a daughter born ...
  A: It depends on how old your daughter is. If she is a minor, you can derive a right to a residence ...
Requirements for German Passport in South Africa3/25/2015
  Q: Greetings Andreas, This is question 1 of 2 - Hopefully I will be the only one asking you any today. ...
  A: These are the kind of stories which drive me crazy. Nobody needs your birth certificate at all, ...
Complicated Divorce Question3/5/2015
  Q: Mr. Moser, I am an American who has a German residence permit and has been in Germany as a civilian ...
  A: you basically have two options: filing in Germany and filing in the US. Germany has jurisdiction ...
Visum zur Familienzusammenführung3/3/2015
  Q: Sehr geehrter Herr Moser, wir sind ein deutsch/kenianisches Paar, das im Dezember 2014 geheiratet ...
  A: Sehr geehrter Herr Just, ein weiteres trauriges Beispiel der nicht gerade ausgeprägten ...
how to obtain a resident permit after having a deutsch baby2/17/2015
  Q: I came to German in 2013 as an asylum seeker from Uganda. I meant a Germany man with whom i had a ...
  A: As the mother of a German baby living in Germany, you are entitled to a residence permit according ...
Working as a translator while travelling1/27/2015
  Q: Moser, I was registered as a freelance translator in the city where I was living in Germany and ...
  A: Hallo Aaron, wenn Du Dich in Deutschland abgemeldet hast, besteht kein Problem für Dich. Hast Du ...
paternity/child support1/26/2015
  Q: I may have a child in Germany by a German woman. I sent a dna test to see if the child is mine. The ...
  A: 1. DNA test If you ever get contacted by a German court about the DNA test, show them that you ...
kindergarten wait list1/26/2015
  Q: I'm living here with a SOFA status, my husband is active duty. We have been here nearly 3 years. ...
  A: I'll answer the easiest part of your question first: No, it definitely ain't fair. Whether it's ...
citizenship if born in Germany1/24/2015
  Q: I was born in Germany in 1992 but my parents were not citizens and left the country a few months ...
  A: No. Before 2000, Germany had no element of ius soli and German citizenship could only be obtained ...
Anspruch auf BAföG1/18/2015
  Q: i am writting to inquire if by law,i have the right to apply for bafog(financial assistance) to ...
  A: because your residence in Germany is based on your marriage, you can apply for BAföG. It is not ...
Streitwert/Gegenstandswert calculation1/17/2015
  Q: I am in the process of getting a divorce in Germany. He has initiated the process of divorce and I ...
  A: finally a question which I never answered before. Thank you for that! :-) The relevant date for ...
Citizen by birth right?1/16/2015
  Q: I was born to an German mother and u.s father who were married , since I was born in u.s. I was only ...
  A: you are one of those unfortunate people who could not get dual citizenship because you were ...
German inheritance Law12/11/2014
  Q: If a recent will that my wife is named is challenged in court & proved to be invalid due to hand ...
  A: Potentially yes. It depends on the exact wording of the will, on which relatives were still alive ...
German Citizenship by Decent12/10/2014
  Q: My maternal German grandmother was born in Germany near Vilshofen in 1937. She married my ...
  A: I grew up very close to Vilshofen, in Amberg. But now to yourUnfortunately, your grandmother did not ...
question regarding citizenship via marriage12/4/2014
  Q: --- Spouses or registered same-sex partners of German citizens are eligible for naturalization after ...
  A: Your German residence permit becomes void once you leave the country for more than 6 months, unless ...
child abduction and child support12/2/2014
  Q: My ex-wife has taken the children to Germany against a court order. She was told by the judge not to ...
  A: you are absolutely right: if you keep or start paying child support, it could be construed into ...
i want my German doughter right for her father11/27/2014
  Q: My doughter is a german and her father also german but he give me divorce since 12 years before . i ...
  A: you cannot ask for arrears for child support because the father couldn't be expected to put money ...
Need assistance for family reunionfication11/23/2014
  Q: I am from Pakistan, my wife has german nationality and we both wanted to settle in germany but the ...
  A: your wife can move to Germany anytime because she is German. It doesn't matter how long she has been ...
Finding a Will and entitlements11/22/2014
  Q: A few months ago my father passed away, he had lived in Germany for around 20years and remarried a ...
  A: you can find out if there was a will (at least if it has been properly handled by whoever found it) ...
Marriage in Kenya and German course11/22/2014
  Q: I am Deriq from Kenya and my girlfriend is german and we are planning to get married here in kenya i ...
  A: There is no requirement that you do the German course before you get married. You can go ahead and ...
Spouse Visa & Separation11/17/2014
  Q: I got married around 3 years ago & came to Germany on Spouse Visa. I am just a housewife with no ...
  A: If you have been married and living in Germany for 3 years, then you will be eligible for your own ...
Overseas foreign owned German apartment. POA ?11/13/2014
  Q: Good Afternoon Andreas, I am British and own an apartment in Germany but live in the Netherlands. ...
  A: You can conduct all of your business from the Netherlands. Within the EU, you can render and receive ...
Kindergeld in Germany or child benefit in UK11/7/2014
  Q: My baby was born in Germany but my partner, me and her have UK passports. We have lived in Germany 3 ...
  A: You are only entitled to Kindergeld as long as you live in Germany. Once you move, you have to let ...
Asylum seeker getting married in Germany10/21/2014
  Q: Hallo I'm an asylum seeker in Germany.I'm from Pakistan. I want to marry with my German ...
  A: it sounds like you are safe to go ahead with the marriage. There is no order for your deportation ...
German Citizen ship by Naturalization10/13/2014
  Q: I have been living in Germany ( Bayern) for 5 years now. Have a permanent contract and a permanent ...
  A: the time spent in Italy does not count in Germany. The information under the link pertains to the ...
Child abduction10/3/2014
  Q: My question is about a friend of mine living in Germany. Her husband and her are Cameroonians and ...
  A: If the mother wants to avoid committing a child abduction, she would need to get a German court's ...
German Citizenship / Passport Records9/25/2014
  Q: First, I thank you for your advice on what may be a simple matter. My parents were German-speaking ...
  A: the Standesamt at the town in which your parents lived in Germany should also have a record of their ...
Ancestral visa9/18/2014
  Q: Goodday, I would like to find out more about claiming German citizenship via Ancestry. I have a ...
  A: I would need to know the exact family tree (including naturalizations in South Africa or any other ...
German living in the Philippines9/16/2014
  Q: I am pretty sure that this website helps a lot of people. I was born a Filipina but got ...
  A: a) You would need to ask an expert on Philippine law where you need to apply for Philippine ...
US Soldier and German national - possible child9/9/2014
  Q: I really do need clarification as soon as you can spare. There is a married US soldier who has been ...
  A: First of all, there is no need for him to go through the Army. This is a purely civil matter. I ...
Marriage laws !9/6/2014
  Q: First, thanks so much for doing this. I think you may get a kick out of our current situation. I am ...
  A: a) You can get married anywhere you want, provided that country allows you to get married on ...
Citizenship based on mother8/31/2014
  Q: First let me start off by saying thank you so much for putting this site out there for all of us out ...
  A: unfortunately you cannot benefit from your grandmother because your mother broke the chain of German ...
Issue of my sister8/30/2014
  Q: I am a guy from India. In 2004, my cousin sister got married with Indian guy. He shifted to Germany ...
  A: We should differentiate two matters here: child support and alimony for your sister herself. Child ...
Paternal rights and obligations8/26/2014
  Q: I am a non-EU citizen currently residing in Denmark who has almost certainly fathered a foetus that ...
  A: I like it that you provide "Happy" as your name despite the circumstances. That shows a positive ...
Transfer Jurisdiction for Child Support8/26/2014
  Q: My husband currently is paying on a German child support order. We live in the US and we recently ...
  A: If both parties agree, anything is permissible. This is a civil matter and the parties can (in ...
German citizinship after discontinuation of minimum stay8/23/2014
  Q: Andreas Moser, I lived in Germany for six years from 2005 to 2011. During this time, I was master ...
  A: up to five of these six years that you spent in Germany previously can be counted as residence in ...
Citizenship of German - Russian8/20/2014
  Q: I was born and have lived my entire life in the US. Over the years I have performed genealogical ...
  A: I honestly don't know what would have happened to somebody's citizenship between 1820 and 1871 if ...
A question about German naturalization law8/19/2014
  Q: I found out about you from your happy hermit blog. I hope you can give me a little advice regarding ...
  A: yes, your time spent as a student in Germany do count towards the residence requirement. Only the ...
Residence permit in Germany based on sister7/28/2014
  Q: "hi i'm an albanian citizen.My sister live and works in germany for 10 years now,she has a permanent ...
  A: Mirëdita! Usually, only children or spouses can be sponsored to come to Germany. There is a way to ...
Discretionary naturalization5/20/2014
  Q: (just added the information you asked me) Dear Mr. Moser, I am currently living in Germany, since ...
  A: I think you are on a good track, but it's not yet enough to apply for German citizenship. If you ...
Lebenslanges Wohnrecht5/20/2014
  Q: My husband and I live in a house that belongs to him however the property previously belonged to his ...
  A: Unless the Wohnrecht already includes a clause that it will become void upon moving out (in some ...
German nationality question5/11/2014
  Q: Andreas, First I would like to thank you for even reading this question. My name is Alex Pusch, ...
  A: unfortunately the relaxed application of the law only applies to former German citizens who have ...
Resident permit and Hartz 4, ALG II4/26/2014
  Q: Hallo Andreas, I am married to a German woman and have 3 years resident permit. At the moment we ...
  A: You are absolutely right. Receiving welfare (like ALG II = Hartz 4) will have a negative impact on ...
German artist permit4/25/2014
  Q: I am thinking of applying for the freelancer permit and I am over 45 therefore needing proof of a ...
  A: Australia is not among the countries which are exempt from the requirement in § 21 III AufenthG to ...
German Citizenship - use of previous stays in Germany4/21/2014
  Q: I was born in India and lived around 3 years as a child in germany and studied again for 3 years ...
  A: Yes. § 12 b II StAG states that up to 5 years of a previous stay in Germany may be counted towards ...
Marriage - Citizenship - House - Timing4/21/2014
  Q: Good Day! I found your website in a good timing and have a few specific questions that I can't seem ...
  A: Shalom Ofir, thank you very much for your friendly message and your wishes. Chag sameach! Since I ...
filipina still married to filipino ex-husband and expecting a baby from a german boyfriend4/13/2014
  Q: Good day! I have applied a family reunion visa to germany because my german boyfriend and I are ...
  A: Because you and the father of the baby are not married, you need to establish legal paternity. I ...
Child Support Germany4/10/2014
  Q: I am American, my husband German. We have 13 yoa son. I have been trying to get child support since ...
  A: First of all, we have to keep in mind that you have (at least) two ways of going about this: - You ...
niederlassungserlaubnis für hochqualifizierte expiry4/9/2014
  Q: I came to Germany in Oct 2010. I received a Niederlassungserlaubnis für Hochqualifizierte in June ...
  A: according to § 51 I no. 7 AufenthG, your Niederlassungserlaubnis will become void if you leave ...
Dual-citizenship: born pre-1975 to German Mother4/7/2014
  Q: I'm feeling a bit shattered at the moment because I seem to occupy some phantom status in German ...
  A: your assessment of the situation is absolutely correct. The problem is that § 14 StAG is really not ...
Frage über §14 StAG4/5/2014
  Q: Hallo Herr Moser! Ich bin philipinischer Staatsbürger, wurde aber 1979 in Deutschland geboren. Ich ...
  A: Hallo Jason, ich fürchte, daß das wohl nicht ganz reichen wird, weil (1) Du das letzte Mal 1997 in ...
Leaving Germany with kids4/1/2014
  Q: My husband and I live in we have 2 children we are americans but residents pf , my husband is ...
  A: If you leave Germany with your children, you would commit an international child abduction and your ...
About German Visa based on German daughter3/25/2014
  Q: Sir My name is Farida from Pakistan,about 13 years ago I got married with a German National man and ...
  A: because your daughter is German, you will get an (almost) automatic residence permit in Germany if ...
German Citizenship Acquisition before 8 years3/23/2014
  Q: Greetings Andreas, Thanks for taking the time to read my question! I've browsed through your ...
  A: 1 + 2) Whenever you apply before the 8 years period, you are applying for naturalization by ...
German citizenship - in Ausbildung3/18/2014
  Q: i live in Germany for the last 5years. I have Aufenthalterlabnis nach 25 Abs.1. I have intergrated ...
  A: you can apply, but one of the requirements is that you are financially independent. It depends on ...
Reclaiming gifted property3/14/2014
  Q: In 2006, I purchased a former schoolhouse in Germany. My husband insisted I gift him half the ...
  A: yes, German law includes a provision (§ 530 I BGB) that allows you to rescind a gift if the ...
Amendment of child support in Germany after second marriage3/9/2014
  Q: Moser, I have 4 children from my previous marriage and I´m paying monthly 1150 Euro child support to ...
  A: once your new child will be born, you will be able to ask the court for an amendment of the child ...
German citizenship from great-great-grandparents3/8/2014
  Q: Mr. Moser, I'm interested in obtaining German citizenship. I assumed that was impossible because my ...
  A: we have two points that we still need to clarify: 1. Prior to 1975, German citizenship could only ...
Can a court in Germany order a man to pay child support3/5/2014
  Q: Can a court in Germany order a man to pay child support if his income is below a certain level, yes ...
  A: Under German child support law, the father is allowed to keep 1,000 EUR of his net income for ...
can i be deported2/21/2014
  Q: i really need your help and urgent response. i am an ssylum seeker in germany.my assyl case has ...
  A: § 60a II AufenthG states that the deportation proceeding can be suspended in such a case. The ...
Divorce at German Embassy?2/14/2014
  Q: A friend of mine is decided to have to divorce with his wife. They are both germans, and they ...
  A: Divorces cannot be performed by German embassies or consulates. The couple have two options: (1) ...
German Residency Permit2/7/2014
  Q: I am a German Woman, and have lived in the US for 25 Years. My husband is born in the USA and he ...
  A: There are two options for your husband to receive a residence + work permit for Germany: 1) Based ...
German Citizenship2/4/2014
  Q: I was born in Germany in the 70s and lived there for the first 13years of my life. (my parents are ...
  A: Your only chance is naturalization, for which you have two options: a) Living in Germany for 3 ...
applying for German citizenship from abroad2/3/2014
  Q: I am of Malaysian citizenship but I have permanent residence in Germany since 15 years. Now I just ...
  A: You can apply for German citizenship while you are abroad. You will find all the details answered in ...
Getting divorce in Germany2/3/2014
  Q: I am Spanish and my wife is German, we got married in Denmark 3 years ago when we lived in Spain. ...
  A: That's actually very simple: Because you all live in Germany, Germany has jurisdiction. It doesn't ...
Naturalization process2/2/2014
  Q: my husband has submitted a request for naturalization to German embassy, based on the fact that his ...
  A: Shalom! 1) Receiving German citizenship does not include any obligation to move to or live in ...
matrimony home protection in divorce2/1/2014
  Q: Andreas Moser... I am an Indian married to a German man. We got married in April 2013. I came to ...
  A: during the time of the separation the court can make a decision on who gets to live in the ...
Divorce from German citizen1/30/2014
  Q: I have been married to a German citizen for 16 yrs now and we have a 14 yr old son with dual ...
  A: Yes, you can use the German courts because your husband is a German citizen (§ 98 I no. 1 FamFG) and ...
Annullierung/Scheidung in Deutschland eintragen1/23/2014
  Q: hallo, ich bin deutsche und habe in Indien, nach indischen Gesetzen einen inder geheiratet. Die ...
  A: Sie können das einfach auf sich beruhen lassen, außer wenn Sie befürchten, daß Ihr ehemaliger ...
Obtaining German citizenship1/23/2014
  Q: I noticed you said somewhere that you are more likely to answer questions from 'nice' people, hence ...
  A: there is a possibility to get naturalized as a German citizen without living there if you can show ...
assets division in case of divorce1/16/2014
  Q: I am an English woman married to a German man and we are living in Germany. We are currently buying ...
  A: That's a very tricky question because the answer will depend on a lot of unknowns: - the value of ...
divorce and residence permit1/14/2014
  Q: . I came to germany from Pakistan in jan 2 2011 on study visa. In 2012 jan 6 I got married with a ...
  A: You can only get your own and independent residence permit after having been married and having ...
Naturalization in Germany for child of German mother born in 19651/5/2014
  Q: I fall into the category of having a German Mother and American father, born in the US in 1965 and ...
  A: The law before 1975 did indeed only bestow German citizenship on descendants of German fathers, not ...
Facilitated naturalization - StAG 14 question12/22/2013
  Q: Moser, I am a German descent from my mothers side, and the new facilitated naturalization law under ...
  A: As your mother will (hopefully) receive naturalization, her German citizenship will not be awarded ...
changing visa type12/21/2013
  Q: i am a Syrian computer engineer, i live now in Syria, i have a German student visa to study master, ...
  A: If you fulfil the requirements for the Blue Card, you can switch to the Blue Card and start your job ...
Deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit aus dem Ausland12/18/2013
  Q: Hallo Andreas Moser, Ich bin Deutscher Staatsbürger und mit einer Inderin seit 13 Jahren ...
  A: Ja, es ist möglich, die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit zu beantragen, obwohl man im Ausland wohnt: § ...
permanent residence permit12/10/2013
  Q: I have added More Detail to My Previous Question I send. I have a german girlfriend and we have a 4 ...
  A: You should receive a permanent residence permit ("Niederlassungserlaubnis") the next time you apply ...
Divorce from a German National12/5/2013
  Q: I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. She (Indonesian) was married to a German man for ...
  A: First of all, I am a bit unsure about which "divorce papers" the husband sent. In Germany, the ...
Dual Citizenship - Germany & UK12/4/2013
  Q: Iam German by Birth both parents are German.I left Germany in 1987 and haven't been back since. Iam ...
  A: Applying for British citizenship won't have any negative effect on your German citizenship. At least ...
qualifying for permanent residency12/2/2013
  Q: I really like your blog and I am grateful that you answer questions here for free. I worked as a ...
  A: § 9 II no. 1 AufenthG requires that you have had an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" for the past 5 years, ...
Inquiries about citizenship by birth in Germany12/2/2013
  Q: I am a jurist trying to find out about Germany position on jus soli. I wish to find out, if a child ...
  A: Yes, Germany does have a ius soli component in its citizenship law since 2000. If one foreign parent ...
Is a person a citizen of Germany today?11/29/2013
  Q: Is a person a citizen of Germany today? He is born in the United States, but has paperwork to prove ...
  A: If that person never applied for any other citizenship, then he never lost his German citizenship. ...
Under the German child support guidelines11/28/2013
  Q: Under the German child support guidelines ("Düsseldorfer Tabelle"), you do not need to pay any child ...
  A: Visitation rights are NOT linked to child support. Anything else would be unfair, especially ...
Taxes for American Freelancers11/26/2013
  Q: I am an American female from California married to a German citizen. I have been living in Germany ...
  A: for 2013, the basic tax-exempt amount is 8,130 EUR. If your profit (not your revenues) is below that ...
German Child Support11/25/2013
  Q: I was hoping you could clarify the law regarding German child support laws as I have received a ...
  A: the county simply assumed that you were able to pay the minimum child support. You do not need to ...
How to I bring my german daughter to the US?11/17/2013
  Q: I am in the USAF and while stationed in Germany I got a german citizen pregnant which I did not ...
  A: first of all we would need to obtain the paperwork from the Jugendamt to see if the mother lost ...
Residence permit in Germany11/16/2013
  Q: I have been working in Germany for a little under 5 years, and soon I will be eligible to apply for ...
  A: you are absolutely correct. The existence of another settlement permit is not a problem and poses ...
Marrying an Asylum Seeker in Germany11/15/2013
  Q: I am an American living in Germany. I work as a DOD civilian, so I am covered under the SOFA ...
  A: that's a tricky situation, but not an uncommon one. I would usually recommend to come clean and to ...
Refugee travel document recognised by Germany?11/13/2013
  Q: i live in Italy and have been recognize as a political asylum refugee and i have 1951 Geneva ...
  A: Buongiorno Rashid, Germany should recognise the refugee travel document issued by Italy (§ 3 III ...
Baby outside marriage - Turkey11/10/2013
  Q: I'm a 21-year-old Turkish woman living in Turkey, expecting a baby outside marriage from a ...
  A: if your child will be born in Turkey and you will live in Turkey, only Turkish law will apply on ...
obtaining german citizenship through grandparent and parent11/4/2013
  Q: I have a question. This might be a rather complicated one, but I think if I elaborate on my ...
  A: as your father was no German citizen as you correctly point out, you cannot claim German citizenship ...
dividing assets on separation11/2/2013
  Q: I'm currently in the process of splitting up with my German national girlfriend. we have lived ...
  A: I you have not been married, family law does not apply. The division of assets is then governed by ...
child in Philippines10/29/2013
  Q: before anything else I would like to say hi.... my name is milogen i'm Filipina living in ...
  A: if the baby's father is German, the child automatically acquired German citizenship by birth. You ...
Old Debt Germany - USA10/20/2013
  Q: I immigrated from Germany in 1999. At that time I had an outstanding business loan for approximately ...
  A: as you have been making regular payments until now, you'd have a hard time arguing that the statute ...
Separation and Child Custody10/18/2013
  Q: I have been married to a German citizen since December 2011, we were married in the Caribbean, my ...
  A: 1. you can of course apply for sole custody of the child, but you would need to show good reasons ...
Loss of German citzensip10/17/2013
  Q: My husbands family immigrated to South Africa in the 1960s my husband was born in Germany an both ...
  A: if your husband's parents applied for naturalization in South Africa for themselves and for their ...
spousal maintenance: new partner10/12/2013
  Q: If spousal maintenance can be reduced or refused based on the receiving spouse's new relationship, ...
  A: the statute is § 1579 no. 2 BGB and it kicks in once the receiving spouse has been in a serious new ...
divorce, where to file in Germany10/4/2013
  Q: my husband and me we are germany passport holder. we are living separate last two years.Now iam in ...
  A: if you want to file for divorce in Nürnberg (which you can do if your husband lives there), you ...
Divorce & Military Records9/23/2013
  Q: I have dual citizenship and just recently filed for divorce from my American wife. Her lawyer is ...
  A: it's the first time that I hear about such a weird law and I don't see the connection between ...
Visitation9/19/2013
  Q: My husband and I are separated and scheduled to divorce next month. We are US citizens living in ...
  A: The father has a legal right to contact and visitation with his daughter (§ 1684 I BGB). This right ...
Sponsorship for Sister9/18/2013
  Q: I am living in Pakistan and my brother in law is German national and living in near Dusseldorf ...
  A: under normal conditions, it is only possible to sponsor spouses and children to move to Germany. For ...
German blood9/11/2013
  Q: Love your site by the way! Just wondering if you could help me on this? My grandmother (father's ...
  A: 1) It's hard to say without much more knowledge about the details of your ancestors whether your ...
Power of Attorney for Real Estate9/10/2013
  Q: I just repossessed my apartment in Germany (full back in my name) and now I want to sell it again. ...
  A: 1) § 167 II BGB (German Civil Code) states that the power of attorney does not require the same form ...
Paternity and maintenance9/3/2013
  Q: I live and work in the UK and my pregnant ex girlfriend lives in Germany. She does not have a job ...
  A: 1. Paternity You can either acknowledge paternity voluntarily or the mother can initiate a court ...
Child Support calculations You can also deduct 9/3/2013
  Q: I am trying to understand the Dusseldorfer Tabelle and how it calculates child support and what ...
  A: Wow, that's a tricky one. A lot of the answers depend on the specific circumstances of your case. ...
Paternity, child support, custody8/27/2013
  Q: Long story short- my fiancées ex girlfriend filed a paternity and child support action through ...
  A: I assume that a DNA test was done as part of the paternity process, and then really nothing much ...
Changing target for cease and desist letter (copyright law)8/26/2013
  Q: I was recently in Germany visiting my girlfriend, and while in her apartment I downloaded a movie so ...
  A: first of all respect for being honest about that and coming forward! You can indeed accept legal ...
Obtaining German Citizenship Through Marriage Without Living in Germany8/21/2013
  Q: I am married to a German citizen in California, United States. We are both residing here. I am a ...
  A: yes, there is a possibility to obtain German citizenship without ever living in Germany: § 14 StAG ...
Inheritance claim after 10 years8/17/2013
  Q: Hope all is well! I am writing to you having read one of your posts online regarding inheritance. I ...
  A: the exact share of your entitlement after your father's death in case of him passing away without ...
Inheritance for US Americans in Germany8/14/2013
  Q: My Wife and I are Both U.S. Citizens and we own a home (Joint)in Germany. I have a Daughter (from my ...
  A: you are lucky in a way because the forced heirship of the German law would not apply to you. Germany ...
assylum seeker getting married with duldung8/12/2013
  Q: I am from Nigeria. i am an asylum seeker here in Germany and my asylum procedure is about coming to ...
  A: yes, it is absolutely possible to get married with your status. In fact, it is very good that you ...
Child support in Germany8/8/2013
  Q: I have a 18 year old daughter, from a previous marriage living in Germany, I am in US...... I have ...
  A: German child support law does not have a clear cut-off age at 18 or at any other age. Child support ...
Citizenship7/31/2013
  Q: My wife, who is German lost her German Passport in a fire together with other important papers. Now ...
  A: I am also a bit shocked, because it should be very easy to find out if your wife still has German ...
Married to German - 2 years visa7/24/2013
  Q: I am a 31 years old Syrian, got married to a German lady on Oct-2010. We both are currently ...
  A: you can only get the 2-years residence permit as a spouse of a German citizen if you and her both ...
Annulment or divorce? How to...7/22/2013
  Q: I am researching on behalf of my brother in Afghanistan. He married a German woman in Denmark in ...
  A: I can't help much because I am a German lawyer and based on the wife's residence in Denmark, the ...
German Citizenship + paternity7/19/2013
  Q: I gave birth to a baby in the United States. The child's father is a naturalized German citizen ...
  A: you will need to sue the father for establishment of paternity. The court will then give him a ...
Obtaining German citizenship7/18/2013
  Q: My question is as follows: After having spoken to the German Consulate in Miami I understand that I ...
  A: I am afraid I would say you lost your German citizenship when you applied for and received US ...
Divorce from a spouse in the Military7/17/2013
  Q: Moser, i am German and am planning to divorce my husband, who is in the AF. We've been married ...
  A: Hallo Melanie, gibt es einen bestimmten Grund, weshalb Sie die Scheidung lieber in Deutschland ...
German Adoption of American child6/24/2013
  Q: My niece and her husband are both stationed in Germany with the US Air Force, she however is not on ...
  A: US citizens can of course give up children for adoption in Germany. I have handled such cases, just ...
Child Maintenance between Filipina Mother and German Father6/23/2013
  Q: I was wondering if you could give some advice or help on a matter involving maintenance between a ...
  A: if the father is in Germany and his income is generated in Germany, this should be addressed in ...
Obtaining Right to Leave Germany with Children6/15/2013
  Q: My daughter (a US citizen) has been living in Germany for 6 months with her husband (born in US, but ...
  A: your daughter basically has two options: (1) She can petition the Family Court in Germany to allow ...
marriage of foreigners in the German law6/12/2013
  Q: My question regarding to marriage in Germany. I came to Germany two years ago for master course and ...
  A: the main problem is not even the lack of documents and the immigration status, but that your ...
Residence Orders6/11/2013
  Q: Is there the equivalent of a Residence Order in Germany so that children are secured in the care of ...
  A: yes, there is. It's called "Aufenthaltsbestimmungsrecht". (And that long word is actually only the ...
Nationality, born in Germany to 2 foreign parents6/8/2013
  Q: I was just researching on German Nationality by birth when i came across your page with the 10 FAQs ...
  A: unfortunately you did not obtain German citizenship at birth for several reasons. (1) In 1985, ...
obtaining divorce decree6/7/2013
  Q: if my ex husband is in Germany because hes a german citizen i'm American citizen living in usa he ...
  A: you have several options for obtaining a copy of your German divorce decree: - contact the Family ...
two years marriage5/24/2013
  Q: I came to germany on study visa in 2011 january. In 2012 January I got married with my german wife. ...
  A: yes, you are absolutely right. After living in Germany for 3 years and being married to a German ...
Parents live together5/24/2013
  Q: Hallo, I am currently living in Düsseldorf with my German wife. I have Indian nationality Currently ...
  A: that's quite hard unfortunately. For family reunion, there are only entitlements for spouses, ...
German citizenship by birth and/or parentage5/23/2013
  Q: Hallo Andreas, I was born in Berlin in 1966 to a German mother and Iranian father. At the time, ...
  A: even if we could somehow retroactively establish German citizenship for you due to you having been ...
child abduction/custody5/15/2013
  Q: if i traveled to Germany with a written note signed by my husband (American citizen) and the ...
  A: if you stay in another country (e.g. Germany) longer than the permitted time, this would constitute ...
Work outside Germany on a resident permit5/2/2013
  Q: My husband (a pakistani national) just got his resident permit for Germany for 3 years). He applied ...
  A: the family reunion residence permit for Germany only entitles your husband to stay and work in ...
inherited property in marriage4/15/2013
  Q: Am a foreigner married to a German for 4 years and we have a 3 year old kid am contemplating divorce ...
  A: if your father left the property to you, it is excluded from marital property and your husband has ...
German visa - Indian citizen4/15/2013
  Q: My client was born in Germany but moved to India soon after her birth and acquired an Indian ...
  A: You are right about the general rule in German law, but it depends how your client acquired Indian ...
German passport if dad born citizen?4/9/2013
  Q: I am looking to apply for a German passport (is this different than citizenship). My father was ...
  A: in order to apply for a German passport you will need to be a German citizen. So you would need to ...
German child support - 16 years later4/5/2013
  Q: 16 years ago i was in the military and had a child with a German citizen. I went to court and paid ...
  A: you have absolutely nothing to worry about! Child support enforcement is a purely civil matter with ...
Marriage Annulment in Germany4/4/2013
  Q: Andreas, Thank you for your service answering questions and helping others to find truth in hard ...
  A: it is extremely hard to get a marriage annulled in Germany. You need to fulfil very narrow ...
child support for son at university3/31/2013
  Q: Seven years ago I married a German woman who had one child. The three of us moved to the USA six ...
  A: first the easy part: You will never be forced to pay, nor will your income be in any way relevant. ...
Process of withdrawing German residence permit etc.3/24/2013
  Q: I'm trying to help a friend in need in Germany. The background and situation: He has recently ...
  A: if the underlying reason for the residence permit (i.e. the relationship with a German spouse) is no ...
advice - moving from Poland to Germany3/21/2013
  Q: i am jadwiga i am living in poland i have husband from india he is living with me in poland my ...
  A: yes, you and your husband can move to Germany together. Because of your German citizenship, your ...
Child Support/Visitation US Military Man VS German Ex-Wife3/18/2013
  Q: My fiance is in the military and was stationed in Germany he had a child with a German and married ...
  A: the jurisdiction for child visitation and contact orders lies exclusively with Germany because the ...
Getting married in Germany3/17/2013
  Q: I am from the Philippines residing in UK for the past 4 years as a student. I have a German ...
  A: yes, it is possible that you will be able to get a tourist Schengen visa through your boyfriend's ...
Divorce from US-American3/5/2013
  Q: I am German and my husband is US-American who serves in the military. We got married '09 in Denmark ...
  A: if you all agree on everything (financial matters, alimony, child support, retirement benefits and ...
Migration from Spain to Germany3/3/2013
  Q: My name is Faraz Ahmed, I am Pakistani National , I am living with my girlfriend in Barcelona. ...
  A: if your visa/residence card is based on your relationship with an EU citizen, then it is probably ...
can I get germany passport2/28/2013
  Q: my gram pa is Germany from Berlin, he move to Brasil after the second war as legal immigrant. is any ...
  A: you could have German citizenship if your father still had German citizenship when you were born. ...
help divorce Kenyan in Germany2/26/2013
  Q: I will use a chronological oder to make things clear. 1 I am 29 years Spouse , a divorcee German ...
  A: if you have no intention of staying in Germany, you can of course return to Kenya anytime. You can ...
Divorce filed in Germany, respondent in US2/24/2013
  Q: My ex wife has filed for divorce in germany while I am in America. My question is if she is required ...
  A: according to Art. 5 of the Hague Service Convention, the US authorities are entitled to request an ...
german citizenship after divorce2/24/2013
  Q: Hallo, i have been married to a German Citizen for 20 years , we have adaughter of 13 years,all this ...
  A: first of all, as long as your daughter will live in Germany and you will retain at least shared ...
Anfrage zum Familiennachzug aus Kenia2/22/2013
  Q: Sehr geehrter Herr Moser, ich habe ein größeres Problem mit unserer Botschaft in Nairobi Kenia. Die ...
  A: Sehr geehrter Herr Thomas, es stimmt mich traurig, daß sich die deutsche Botschaft in Kenia ...
Divorce in Germany or US2/21/2013
  Q: I was in the military and recently got out, I got married to a German woman in 1999, and although ...
  A: Whether the US, or more precisely your current state of residence, already has jurisdiction over you ...
Child Support Duration2/20/2013
  Q: I have an 18 year old son living in Germany (not with his mother) working in a paid apprenticeship. ...
  A: 1. Because your son is 18, you have no more obligation towards his mother. If at all, he has a claim ...
German Passport for American2/20/2013
  Q: I am from the USA .I lived, worked,and married in Germany, we have one child born in Germany and one ...
  A: Yes, you can, but Germany would require you to give up your US citizenship. Also, you would need to ...
Indian Citizen - Work Permit Extension2/19/2013
  Q: I am a software engineer and I have got a work permit for 6 months. It is highly possible that my ...
  A: You can get the residence and work permit extended while working in Germany, especially if you will ...
Getting Married in Germany2/17/2013
  Q: I am currently stationed at Vilseck, however my fiancé is in the US. She is currently getting a ...
  A: with a US passport, your fiancée can travel to Germany without a visa for 3 months. If you get ...
Child support2/14/2013
  Q: I'm here to help my friend who is single mother.we are com from Vietnam.my friend has a child with a ...
  A: If the father's paternity is legally established (for example if he acknowledged it or the couple ...
custody for married couples in Germany2/12/2013
  Q: I need your clearly advice on our situation. We are marry living in germany wife she is germany ...
  A: you are absolutely right: Married couples in Germany automatically have shared custody. This also ...
Sibling Visitation2/8/2013
  Q: I am American and divorced from my German husband. We had three kids. To make a long story short, my ...
  A: I am sorry to read about this situation. Sibling visitation is not a very strong right in German ...
German tourist visa for fiancée of US soldier2/4/2013
  Q: My fiance is an american soldier based in Germany. We are currently processing my fiancee visa for ...
  A: yes, there is a possibility that you will get a tourist visa, although it would help if you get ...
Abducted child eligible for german citizenship?2/3/2013
  Q: Ill just dive straight into it if that's okay. My father is a Pakistani and mother a German. At the ...
  A: based on your mother being German, you may well have German citizenship. It depends on the ...
History Day - Germany - changes after Holocaust2/1/2013
  Q: For National History day this year my group and I are researching Germany and how it changed after ...
  A: that is a very interesting - but also a very broad - subject! Obviously, a lot changed in Germany. ...
Loss of German child Support?1/31/2013
  Q: my daughter (born out of wedlock,at High School) receives child support from her German father. She ...
  A: German law has no provision about forfeiture of child support upon joining reserves or even active ...
Re shared custody in Germany1/30/2013
  Q: I'm really hoping you can help a little. I have been with my partner for 3 years now. He and his ex ...
  A: child custody can only be transferred or modified by a court order in Germany. Whatever the paper ...
Separation/Divorce German law1/30/2013
  Q: I am married to a German and are living now since 4 years in Germany. We were married over 6 years ...
  A: the German family law is actually written in a way that it accommodates non-traditional forms of ...
visa for fiancée of US soldier in Germany1/29/2013
  Q: Andreas Moser, I have one question for you. I'm in the military station in Germany and I have a ...
  A: that is a tricky situation indeed because you are falling through all the cracks of the German ...
Humantarian resident1/29/2013
  Q: Am legal marry to german citizen with two month child. I was in asylum before we get married now i ...
  A: if you are married to a German citizen and live in Germany and have a child, you should clearly be ...
Extension of Residence/Work Permit1/22/2013
  Q: I am a Non-EU national living in Germany for 18 months. My residence/work permit expires in the ...
  A: as your wife and daughter are EU citizens, you can easily get an EU residence permit if they live in ...
Minimum Child Support in Germany1/22/2013
  Q: Andreas, My wife and I are considering a divorce. We have been married for 3 years. We currently ...
  A: child support in Germany depends on the income of the non-custodial parent (i.e. the parent with ...
Becoming German through civil union1/15/2013
  Q: I am a Thai national and have entered a civil union with my German partner in September 2011. We've ...
  A: the requirements for civil partners of German citizens are the same as for spouses (§ 9 StAG). You ...
illegal problem but child in Germany1/15/2013
  Q: Am from middle east in 2011 my asylum was reject in norway than i move to dortmund germany living ...
  A: if your German girlfriend will cooperate, you can actually legalize your status. You will have to ...
Divorce - financial entitlement1/12/2013
  Q: An english friend of mine married a German citizen and settled in Germany where they lived for 10 ...
  A: there is a time limit on the distribution of marital property. That time limit is 3 years from the ...
Family Spousal Visa1/9/2013
  Q: I recollect us writing to you from ...
  A: have you tried to get a date for the marriage with the registrar's office ("Standesamt")? If they ...
What can I do?1/8/2013
  Q: I am an Asylum seeker. I have a german girl friend that is pregnant for me now. she had not finished ...
  A: as long as the mother is married, her husband will legally be assumed to be the father of the child. ...
German CItizenship from maternal Great Grandfather1/5/2013
  Q: My mother's mother's, father (my great grandfather) was born in the US from German parents who did ...
  A: the answer depends on whether your grandmother was a German citizen and whether your mother was. ...
child custody - child abduction?1/3/2013
  Q: I currently had custody of my child taken away from me by the german authorities because i had just ...
  A: it would only be a child abduction in the sense of the Hague Child Abduction Convention if the ...
Dad commeted bigamy in Germany12/27/2012
  Q: Trying to find out some info please on behalf of mum , Dad remarried in 1996 but never divorced mum ...
  A: yes, as your mother is still married to your father, she could ask him for financial support. If he ...
payment to nachlassgericht12/22/2012
  Q: I am pensioner,Australian Citizen,living at outskirts of Melbourne. I am currently finalizing ...
  A: legally, you probably have to pay. I say probably, because it depends on what the 10 € invoice is ...
Divorce while abroad in Germany12/15/2012
  Q: I married a German citizen 2 years ago in Bahrain, and moved to Germany last November. I'm a ...
  A: Yes, you can file for divorce in Germany without you being there. As long as your husband continues ...
Marriage in Germany12/5/2012
  Q: My boyfriend and I are military currently stationed in Vilseck, Germany and would like to get ...
  A: you can go to the City Hall ("Rathaus") in Vilseck. They have quite some experience with weddings of ...
German Custody Law re Grandparents11/23/2012
  Q: My friend, who is a German citizen but living abroad would like custody of her grandchild assigned ...
  A: that is quite possible. If the parental rights of the mother are removed or suspended, then the next ...
can someone be jailed twice for t'he same crime11/22/2012
  Q: am so happy with your work.My babys father is a nigerian and has been living in germany for over 8 ...
  A: The double jeopardy rule prevents the state from convicting somebody twice for the same crime, but ...
immigration law - child of African refugees11/21/2012
  Q: am any african refugee in germany and had baby for any african that has resident permit and has ...
  A: I will need a bit more information about both of your exact legal statuses: your countries of ...
Indian girl marrying a German Boy11/19/2012
  Q: my daughter is going to get marry a German boy. if they marry in India, German Government will not ...
  A: If the marriage will be registered with the Indian government, then you will have the marriage ...
Joint account now blocked11/13/2012
  Q: I am a Canadian citizen and my husband, German born but a Canadian for 60 years. My husband died ...
  A: I am very sorry to hear about your husband having passed away. This is less of a legal question ...
divorce after 2 weeks11/6/2012
  Q: i am a german passport holder who got married to an indian in india 2 months ago. the marriage has ...
  A: you can get a divorce in Germany, but you would need to be separated for one year. So if you have ...
child custody11/5/2012
  Q: My son is 6 months old, was born in Germany. My husband and i have lived in Germany for less than a ...
  A: this will have to come down to a custody proceeding in Germany ...
living in germany on militry orders11/4/2012
  Q: Me my husband and my daughter are living in Germany on military orders for the next 2 years. I am ...
  A: yes, after about half a year of living in Germany and having settled in, you and your daughter will ...
paternity between Philippines and Germany10/21/2012
  Q: ,im hoping that you can help me on this matter..im so confused and i dont know exactly what to do. ...
  A: first of all don't worry about what it says on the birth certificate. The birth certificate issued ...
alimony after death10/20/2012
  Q: MY QUESTION IS, DOES A EX-HUSBAND HAS TO KEEP ON PAYING ,AFTER A EX-WIFE'S DEATH ? IN THIS CASE , ...
  A: No, any alimony entitlement of course ceases with the death of the ex-wife. It's hard to say what ...
Copy of Divorce Decree10/15/2012
  Q: My name is PJ and my friend was married to a German woman while in the military for approximately ...
  A: there are several ways to go about this. - Contact the court where the divorce was issued. (The ...
Child custody and child support10/10/2012
  Q: in 2010 We got divorced and we were told that we had shared custody of our children. I ended up be ...
  A: first of all I am sorry to hear that your ex-wife is petitioning for sole custody. If you wished to ...
Divorce Germany - Australia, child visitation10/3/2012
  Q: I am an Australian currently in Australia. I have been married to my German wife who currently ...
  A: that is a tough situation indeed. As the last (and continuing) habitual residence of the children ...
child support + can child move to Germany?10/1/2012
  Q: I just want to ask if i can ask for child support i am a filipina and living here in philippines i ...
  A: yes, you can of course claim child support from the father. I would recommend to do that in Germany ...
German temporary residence for child of foreign divorced parents9/29/2012
  Q: Moser, I'm in Germany due to an employment offer of a German global company. I have completed the ...
  A: welcome to Germany! The German authorities will most likely require a German translation of the ...
Kindly Advise us! - which visa to go to Germany9/25/2012
  Q: Myself an Indian(M) aged 24 and my partner a German(F) aged 22, we live in New Zealand now, and we ...
  A: Yes, it would be best if you get married. Of course you could also try to find a job in Germany ...
Child maintenance Germany/ redundancy payment.9/24/2012
  Q: I am soon to be made redundant and will be getting a 1 off redundancy payout out. I live in the UK ...
  A: there are two separate questions here: is there advance payment of child support and what about the ...
benefits after father's death9/20/2012
  Q: i am a filipino,my father is a german.i liuve here in philippines.my father died March 23 2011.what ...
  A: according to German inheritance law, 50 % of your farther's estate will go to your mother and the ...
child custody9/16/2012
  Q: My husband and I were married in the Caribbean and I am a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago however, ...
  A: yes, that is possible. Because you both live in Germany, you can use the German courts and German ...
Power of Attorney from another country9/6/2012
  Q: My father, living on an island in the Caribbean, will be sole beneficiary of his sister's (who lives ...
  A: the safest way would be to go to the German Embassy on Trinidad: http://www.port-of-spain.diplo.de/ ...
divorce & adoption German-Philippines8/26/2012
  Q: I am a Filipina married to a German in Germany. After 3years of marriage i go back to my country and ...
  A: generally, you do not need to divorce in the country where you married. But because in your case, ...
Declining German Inheritance8/25/2012
  Q: I am born German, have been living in the US for 17 years, and took on US citizenship in 2008. 4 ...
  A: I am sorry to read about your father's death. You are correct that you have 6 months to make the ...
To marry in Germany8/23/2012
  Q: I am asylum seeker in Germany for one and half year now , and recently my asylum is rejected but i ...
  A: in order to get married in Germany you will need your passport or another form of ID, your birth ...
Tired in Pennsylvania8/21/2012
  Q: Good Morning, My name is Riley Mobley. I am an American citizen who married a German national in ...
  A: because you have filed for divorce in the USA, this question is really not a question of German law, ...
child maintenance UK or Germany - contact8/21/2012
  Q: My partner gave permission for his 2 children (age 4 and 7) be taken by his ex wife to Germany to ...
  A: 1. German law has strictly NO connection at all between contact and child support. It is important ...
Divorce granted in Germany - final in US?8/21/2012
  Q: My daughter married in Florida and her husband returned to Germany and filed for divorce which was ...
  A: you would need to pose that question to an attorney in Florida or whichever state she lives now. ...
benefit for ex wife - Germany-USA8/21/2012
  Q: Married in Germany to a German citizen, I am American. We came to the USA to live. Got married in ...
  A: I am sorry that I can't be very helpful with this question because it is not a matter of German law. ...
Alimony for ex GF with 2 kids8/20/2012
  Q: My husband is a UK citizen was in cohabitant relationship with a German women and separated 5 years ...
  A: it's hard for me to say whether the monthly amount is fair because it depends on your partner's ...
German Child Support & Custody8/20/2012
  Q: Sir, I am an American service member. My ex-wife, who is a German citizen and resides in Germany ...
  A: first of all, my respect for staying in contact with your daughter despite all these obstacles. That ...
Pakistani Asylum Seeker Marries to German National Woman8/17/2012
  Q: If Mr. X is an Asylum Seeker and his case from bundesamt is negative and he has appealed in the ...
  A: Assuming that Mr. X and Mr. A are the same, then yes. If a foreigner is married to a German citizen ...
Birth Certificate out of wedlock8/16/2012
  Q: My husband is about to have a child born in Germany out of wedlock, we aren't divorced. He says he ...
  A: the father's presence is not required for the birth certificate. The mother will simply provide the ...
Spousal Support after divorce8/15/2012
  Q: I am an American married to a German citizen for 16 years. We were separated in 2008 and a German ...
  A: first of all you should argue that your spouse is not entitled to any spousal support after the ...
Alimony support after divorce8/15/2012
  Q: Both me and my wife are from Pakistan and married in Pakistan 10 years ago. Now both of us working ...
  A: I am very sorry to hear about the hell that you are going through. A divorce is not a happy thing of ...
Haus inhertance8/14/2012
  Q: We just bought a haus in Germany, it is registered under my husband's name, nothing in my name. ...
  A: first of all, it depends on your husband's citizenship. According to German law of conflicts (Art. ...
Home Phone Service Cancellation8/14/2012
  Q: I am attempting to cancel my home phone and internet service and they want to charge me 80% of my ...
  A: you are absolutely right about the amended law. § 46 VIII TKG ("Telekommunikationsgesetz") provides ...
Residence permit obligations/child responsibility8/9/2012
  Q: Moser, Glad to find you here. Here is my crisis: I am a foreigner in Germany with a German child ...
  A: as the residence permit for the family reunion can also be based on exercising (shared) custody over ...
can my ex-wife get spousal support 3yrs after our divorce is finalized (§ 1569 BGB)8/9/2012
  Q: First... Thank you for your time, it's greatly appreciated! background: married in Jul 2004(to a ...
  A: I don't see how your ex-wife could legitimately claim spousal support: 1) If her waiver of spousal ...
How to best protect my rights as a non-German parent8/7/2012
  Q: First of all thanks for volunteering your time and expertise to this worthy cause. International ...
  A: I think I can alleviate some of your fears. As far as German courts' custody or Hague decisions are ...
re.union Kenya-Germany8/7/2012
  Q: my aunt got a baby in Germany and later travelled to Kenya for a marriage with a German man in year ...
  A: I am bit confused as to why the child would be in the custody of the Germany Embassy in Kenya. If ...
child living with partner - move to Germany8/5/2012
  Q: The situation is: my partner is divorced, she has a daughter (8 years old). The father has lost ...
  A: that is possibly quite a tricky situation because as you say you have no legal ties to the daughter, ...
Divorce - where?8/2/2012
  Q: I am Indonesian and married a German woman 9 years ago. We were married in Denmark and had the ...
  A: You have several options: 1. You can divorce in Italy because that is where your wife lives. 2. ...
Marriage visa after previous deportation7/31/2012
  Q: Can one get a marriage visa now after having been deported 5 years ago from Germany? Reason for ...
  A: of course any visa to Germany is up to the discretion of Germany, so there is never a 100% ...
Child Maintenance for Adult Child in Training7/24/2012
  Q: I am writing with regard to Child maintenance. My daughter is 19yrs old (20 in a few weeks). She ...
  A: you are quite right. First of all, under German child support law parents only have the obligation ...
HOW PAKISTANI LIVING IN GERMANY GET GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY TO SEND PAKISTAN7/24/2012
  Q: i question is that one Pakistani living in Germany how he send GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR ...
  A: no, you don't need any clearance by any German official. As the power of attorney (POA) will only be ...
child support after adoption7/22/2012
  Q: My husbands ex-wife is suddenly trying to collect back and current child support for 2 of their 4 ...
  A: if these two girls have been adopted, then all legal ties between them and the biological father ...
German Law / Swiss Law - is there a big difference??7/22/2012
  Q: Is Swiss Law, very similar to German Law or is it totally different? I am living in Switzerland in ...
  A: Swiss and German laws are so different, that you would need to ask a Swiss lawyer. Please also keep ...
Divorce in Germany7/11/2012
  Q: Andreas, thank you for taking the time to consider my questions. I'm an American; German wife. We ...
  A: first of all, because you have been living in Florida but your wife is about to return to Germany, ...
divorce of foreigners in Germany7/10/2012
  Q: I'm an italian that married a bosnian in italy and we are living in germany. I would like to get a ...
  A: Yes, if you both live in Germany, you can get divorced in Germany. It is not a problem that you have ...
Financial rights of spouse of German citizen to study in Germany7/8/2012
  Q: I am an American woman married to a German man. We are both living in Germany. We were married in ...
  A: the financial support for students is regulated in the BAföG (the abbreviation for ...
having German documents notarized7/6/2012
  Q: My husband's family in Germany sent us documents to have notarized regarding selling his great ...
  A: according to Art. 11 IV EGBGB, if the paperwork concerns the sale or purchase of real estate in ...
German Divorce7/4/2012
  Q: I need to find out if my estranged wife did actually file a divorce in Germany. She says that it is ...
  A: this claim of not being able to file for 2 years sounds bogus. After the initial one year of ...
Method of Child Support Payments7/3/2012
  Q: My husband (American) makes a direct depost of USD to his German ex-wife's American bank account. ...
  A: that's a problem I have come across in many, many cases. Yet still, there is no clear answer. First ...
Child Support from German Father7/2/2012
  Q: I hope that you can help me as I have been searching for information and have been unable to find ...
  A: your son has all the rights to pursue his father for child support. In fact, he would even have ...
American Military, Italian Spouse, Child, in Germany7/1/2012
  Q: My Air Force son is seeking to divorce his Italian wife (married in Italy in 1999). They are ...
  A: first of all, the husband cannot "send her back to Italy with nothing". As an Italian citizen, she ...
Legal aid .6/29/2012
  Q: Sir, Madam, I am an African born German citizen living presently in Germany since November 1989. On ...
  A: unfortunately, you cannot get legal aid for this case, because it is not you who is applying for the ...
child6/25/2012
  Q: my question again, my son was born in germany 14 years ago. I left germany with my son and his ...
  A: If the father in Germany has a residence permit in Germany, his child can obtain a residence permit ...
Getting married again6/21/2012
  Q: When the office in Germany is causing problem to register a marriage between a German citizen and an ...
  A: Getting married again in any country would be problematic. In the course of getting married, you ...
Spouse to a German citizen6/20/2012
  Q: Can a Spouse to a German citizen Change Schengen visa to a national visa after the birth of their ...
  A: Yes, you can apply for a residence permit in Germany based on these facts. If you are the parent of ...
American Soldier & German Divorcing6/16/2012
  Q: I am an American Soldier (stationed in Germany) married to a German, local national female. We have ...
  A: 1. The child support and alimony will depend on your income. I would need to know your exact income, ...
German Citizenship6/8/2012
  Q: My Mother and Father are German citizens. Could the adult son of my father (from a previous ...
  A: yes, that is possible. It depends when and where he was born and whether he has accepted any other ...
Aufenthalstitel5/30/2012
  Q: I'm Filipina and have 1 daughter 6 years old and she is also filipina and married with a German man ...
  A: it is important that the German authorities believe that you still reside in Germany. Otherwise, ...
CSA5/25/2012
  Q: i lived and worked in Germany after i left the army, me and my German partner had a daughter but ...
  A: the answer that CSA gave you is wrong pertaining to jurisdiction. Jurisdiction in child support ...
U.S. citizen married to German citizen5/24/2012
  Q: I am a U.S. citizen married to a German citizen since 2003. We have lived apart since 2009 when I ...
  A: that's quite a tough situation, also from the legal standpoint: 1. Because your daughter is not ...
Born in US, but lives in Germany with parents5/18/2012
  Q: I am a US citizen, married to a divorced German Lady. One of her sons is 9 years and was born in USA ...
  A: the answer depends on who has custody over the son. If the father not only has visitation rights, ...
German courts5/17/2012
  Q: Recently the German courts set my child support at $345- since when does Germany use American ...
  A: that is strange indeed. I have sometimes seen German court orders denominated in US-$, but this ...
Recover Personal Property5/11/2012
  Q: While stationed in Germany as an US soldier. I left some personal property with a German citizen ...
  A: if you have the person's e-mail in which she confirms what you left with her, I think that should ...
getting married to a failed asylum seeker in germany5/9/2012
  Q: .. My question is regarding the question of the process of marrying in germany to a failed asylum ...
  A: You have three options: (1) You can attempt to get married under the identity that you have ...
Unwed german father's obligations5/8/2012
  Q: my German boyfriend and i intend to marry as soon as it is possible however currently we are ...
  A: apart from the child support obligation to the 2 children, your boyfriend might also be required to ...
Married in Denmark, divorce in Germany.5/7/2012
  Q: I wish to divorce my wife. She is originally from Belarus (Weissrussland) but now has an Irish (EU) ...
  A: Because you both reside in Germany, Germany does have jurisdiction for your divorce according to ...
family reunion visa5/6/2012
  Q: Iam a kenyan married to a german citizen for 3 years i applied for a family reunion visa the last 6 ...
  A: it usually should not take more than 3 months (§ 75 sent. 2 VwGO). However, I would not interpret ...
Stalking charges in Germany4/17/2012
  Q: I am an US citizen living in the United States. A German citizen living in Germany filed stalking ...
  A: yes, Germany can go ahead and prosecute you if they have jurisdiction. As the alleged victim lives ...
vacation outside europe4/16/2012
  Q: My 2 sons (12 and 16 years old) have been assigned by the German judge only to my ex-wife because I ...
  A: I would advise against this course of action. While it may work to get the children to the USA ...
Refusal to renew passport3/29/2012
  Q: Good day Andreas, I can't believe I managed to ask a question before someone else. I have had ...
  A: I can only be of limited help in this case because I don't understand what the German Consulate was ...
Child support3/28/2012
  Q: I have two children by a German man but we were never married. I have since moved back to the US ...
  A: German law is quite clear on that: § 1609 BGB states that minor children (or children up to the age ...
German Family Law3/19/2012
  Q: I asked a question on the age at which under German Law parents stop paying maintenance payments. ...
  A: Good news: Your partner can stop paying. German law does provide for child support as long as ...
international visitation3/18/2012
  Q: My husband's ex wife is German and lives in Germany with this two daughters (10 and 7 years old). ...
  A: yes, Germany allows for international visitation. Under German law, visitation generally takes place ...
Child Maintenance3/13/2012
  Q: I'm an English father with a German ex-wife. My daughter (born in England, but residing in Germany) ...
  A: German law applies to the child support for your daughter because she resides in Germany. The ...
inheritance of debt rights3/12/2012
  Q: My uncle passed away not too long ago and I just found out from My Mom ( born in Germany but now a ...
  A: in German inheritance law, the estate is automatically passed on to the heirs by law. No contract or ...
Child Mainteance and new wife2/28/2012
  Q: I have been paying my son's maintenance for over 3 years until a year ago when, having been given a ...
  A: you are absolutely right. Your new wife has no legal ties to your son and therefore has absolutely ...
compulsary inheritance (Pflichteil)2/26/2012
  Q: I'm a German born American Citizen. My Mother (in Germany) died in May of 2007; consequently I had ...
  A: I hope that everything will remain on friendly terms and informal. If not, you will however have ...
Additional info; marriage not register2/25/2012
  Q: I am writing again as you have asked for my visa. I have currently fuktionbescheinigung till end of ...
  A: as you are now married to a German citizen, you are entitled to a residence permit and a full work ...
My wife is German2/23/2012
  Q: i am a pakistani citizen and my wife is german she recently done her studies she is divorced now a ...
  A: because you are married to a German wife, you can generally join her if she lives in Germany without ...
inheritance law2/19/2012
  Q: I'm a legal resident of Germany, have dual citizenship (other European country and USA). My husband ...
  A: that's quite an international patchwork family there! To answer yourif your husband were to pass ...
after divorce2/17/2012
  Q: first of all she refused to accept our legal marriage and divorce is granted in Germany which i ...
  A: As you have never lived in Germany and your marriage with a German citizen is now over, you are not ...
Staying in Germany after divorce2/15/2012
  Q: My wife and I have been married for 12 years. We are having some problems and she is considering ...
  A: my strong advice is not to give up custody of your children! If you have custody (even shared ...
Court Fees2/13/2012
  Q: We recently settled a child support case with my husband's ex wife. We have received a bill from ...
  A: I agree with your attorney and usually give the same advice to my clients residing in the US. The ...
Visa obtainment for spouse from Africa2/7/2012
  Q: Sir Mr.Möser, I count myself as among the lucky ones to come across your helpful website. Firstly I ...
  A: it might prove tricky although it shouldn't. Because you are a German citizen, your wife is ...
Marriage in Egypt to a non german1/30/2012
  Q: I moved to Egypt in 2002 from Germany, I'm a German citizen. I'm engaged to an Egyptian and want to ...
  A: that's tricky, because the "Standesamt" at your last place of residence in Germany is the only place ...
Child support arears1/28/2012
  Q: The German child support agency states that I owe past arrears in child support. I went to the ...
  A: you are about to be caught in the typical dilemma of two separate jurisdictions that have issued ...
moving back to germany1/25/2012
  Q: grew up in australia , went back to germany , got married to a german , came back to australia . ...
  A: well, if you are still a German citizen, you can move to Germany any time. No requirements ...
Citizenship1/24/2012
  Q: My husband is American (we live in the United States). His great grandmother was German. We want to ...
  A: it is theoretically possible, but practically very unlikely. In order to claim German citizenship ...
child maintenance and visitation UK or Germany1/16/2012
  Q: in a situation where a child is born of an English father and German mother, living together in ...
  A: as the child is by now habitually resident in Germany, German courts have exclusive jurisdiction ...
German Inheritance law12/20/2011
  Q: My wife and I are US Citizens and we live and own a house in Germany. I have a stepdaughter from a ...
  A: as you and your wife are US citizens, German courts would apply US law to your intestate succession ...
Child maintenance12/19/2011
  Q: My ex husband living in Germany regularly paid 450 euros for the two children until a few years ago. ...
  A: if the ex-husband lives in Germany and has the bulk of his income from an employer in Germany, I ...
German citizinship11/13/2011
  Q: Moser, I am a Jordanian lady who has been married to German since March 2011, although we have been ...
  A: § 14 StAG (Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz, the German Immigration Act) opens the possibility of ...
Mother Allowance11/1/2011
  Q: Can you please explain how the calculation of the mother allowance (Betreuungsunterhalt) is done in ...
  A: the maintenance for mothers of small children (up to 3 years) is what you correctly call ...
German child support after 1810/29/2011
  Q: I have a son who is 18, and child support was recently reestablished for him. I have been told that ...
  A: the "Düsseldorfer Tabelle" does not have any other increase beyond the age of 18, but you are right ...
Foreign Divorce10/29/2011
  Q: my fiance is a member of the United States Army and is stationed in Germany. He married a German ...
  A: these are a whole lot of questions which I can only answer briefly for now: 1. The baby was born ...
Estate of deceased10/28/2011
  Q: I live in South Africa and about 18 years ago my parents immigrated to Germany where they became ...
  A: you can refuse to accept the inheritance (e.g. if it includes debts). However, you need to ...
Family Law Australia-Germany10/27/2011
  Q: I am Australian female married to a German citizen, we married in Australia but lived in ...
  A: 1. Your Australian marriage is recognised by Germany. Foreign marriages are automatically recognised ...
Child custody10/24/2011
  Q: I am a US citizen living in Germany under the SOFA agreement. I am married to a US citizen. We are ...
  A: first of all, your wife is not entitled to remove the children from Germany without your consent. ...
German Indian Wedding10/2/2011
  Q: Moser, I am a 27 year old Indian citizen currently living in UK. I am all set to marry my German ...
  A: 1. You can apply for a visa based on family reunion according to § 28 I AufenthG. This kind of visa ...
Spouse gone missing9/30/2011
  Q: If two are married and one disappears, goes missing, leaves no trace, what happens to the marriage ...
  A: as long as the missing spouse has not been officially declared missing, the marriage still exists. ...
milt.ret husband of almost 25 years wants divorce9/30/2011
  Q: we were married in the german standesamt1986,hes been diagnosed as bipolar ,depression and alkohol ...
  A: this case would be governed under Wyoming law because you both have residence there. If you file ...
International Adoption9/25/2011
  Q: I am Indonesian marry to a German man and I have a 12 years old daughter from my previous marriage. ...
  A: you having sole custody is not enough for your daughter to be able to be adopted. The father of ...
about subletting an appartment9/22/2011
  Q: I own a hotel in Greece for 2 years. From now on, i am gonna rent an apartment in German(i don't ...
  A: you are addressing several questions. Let me start with the easiest one: 1. If you run a business, ...
child custody9/12/2011
  Q: I am a Filipino and married to a German man for almost 3 years and we have a 4 year old son. We got ...
  A: I assume that your husband is still within Germany. If not, his actions constitute an international ...
child maintenance9/10/2011
  Q: I am an expat working in afghanistan now for four year i split with my Ex who is english however she ...
  A: I am not sure if your son lives in Germany or the UK. German law only applies if he resides in ...
property ownership9/8/2011
  Q: I have been asked by a bank to prove that I don't own a property in Germany.
  A: that's a weird request (on the part of the bank, not you) because you cannot prove a negative. Does ...
can i still apply for family reunion if we get a divorce9/7/2011
  Q: i am currently settled in Pakistan and my German wife has moved to Germany with our 2 kids after 8 ...
  A: yes, if your children are German citizens and reside in Germany, you can obtain a family reunion ...
Kindergeld UK-D9/6/2011
  Q: I received Kindegeld in Germany for my 2 children, who were born there. In 2008 I separated from my ...
  A: definitely file the appeal to meet the deadline! You can provide the reasons for your appeal later. ...
declining inheritance in Germany9/4/2011
  Q: I have been informed that my grandfather passed away and left a will for my mother and her sisters ...
  A: I am sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. The first thing is that because of your ...
German American Divorce8/25/2011
  Q: I am German and my husband is American (US Military). We've got married in Germany and moved to the ...
  A: indeed there are only 3 options of you moving to Germany with your daughter and not committing an ...
Legal Aid8/24/2011
  Q: You are a rarity and a much appreciated one! I'm learning German law / lawyers are DRASTICALLY ...
  A: I hope you haven't paid the invoice yet. It sounds like a tremendously outrageous amount and ...
Seperation and Divorce8/23/2011
  Q: I am lucky finding your web and impressed by your kind replies to the people who are in troubles and ...
  A: most of these questions are answered in my FAQ about divorce in Germany: ...
German divorce8/21/2011
  Q: "In 1993 I moved to Germany to be with the “man of my dreams”. I am a US citizen and he was a ...
  A: your ex-husband actually would not need to file for divorce in Germany. He could simply get the US ...
habitual residency8/21/2011
  Q: my girlfriend, who is German, lives in the USA for 20 years and has residency. She requires to take ...
  A: if both parents have joint residence, then there is no danger of the father renouncing the ...
New partners salary and maintenance8/15/2011
  Q: I am currently living with my partner (we are not married) and am expecting our first child in a few ...
  A: - Once you will have a new child together, this will reduce your partner's financial obligation to ...
Clarity on Allowable Deductions8/14/2011
  Q: After reading several Q & A, I am still a little confused on allowable deductions. 1. Can I deduct ...
  A: 1. Yes, you can deduct the (reasonable) travel expenses for visiting your child(ren) from your net ...
Unterhalt, Vater Urlaubsliebe im Ausland8/12/2011
  Q: Ich bin seit Mitte Juni in den USA zu Besuch meiner Gastfamilie. Ich war von July 2008-July2009 Au ...
  A: Hallo, um den Anspruch auf Unterhalt geltend zu machen, gibt es grundsätzlich zwei Möglichkeiten: ...
maintenance payments for children8/11/2011
  Q: My ex wife is getting re married soon, i pay maintenance for my 13 and 16 year old children would i ...
  A: your ex-wife getting married again does NOT have any effect on your financial responsibilities ...
Separation and Divorce in Germany8/10/2011
  Q: My nationality is Taiwan and I got married with a German in January 2011. Now I live in Germany with ...
  A: unfortunately your residence permit is tied to the marriage with a German national at the moment. ...
inheritance in Germany8/6/2011
  Q: My Oma died and her assets were split three ways. I believe the family had valuable assets that my ...
  A: assuming that your grandmother was German and German inheritance law thus applies, your mother ...
Retaining our residency permit in Germany8/2/2011
  Q: My husband and I are U.S. citizens with permanent residency permits as we have been living in ...
  A: according to Sec. 51 I Nr. 7 AufenthG, you generally lose your residence permit if you leave Germany ...
Divorce and paternity for child by another man8/1/2011
  Q: Me and my wife have been separated for over three years. She moved back to Germany with my daughter ...
  A: that is a very common situaion unfortunately because of the somewhat lenghty duration of German ...
U.S Military member divorce in Germany7/30/2011
  Q: 1)Can a husband(active duty military service member stationed in Germany)petition the courts in ...
  A: 1) If the children reside in Germany, the German court will accept full jurisdiction over all ...
marriage Kenya/Germany7/29/2011
  Q: i am married to a german for three years [in kenya] he lives in german and i live in kenya. i only ...
  A: if both of you were single/divorced/widowed at the time of the marriage, the marriage is recognised ...
paternal declaration7/26/2011
  Q: what will i do if somebody declare for paternal (fatherhood)to my children and what is the advantage ...
  A: There are plenty of advantages of paternity being legally acknowledged by the father: 1) The child ...
Child Support from German father to Kenya7/22/2011
  Q: I'd like to know how the father of my child, now residing in Germany,can pay child support for my ...
  A: you have two options, both of which require that paternity has been legally established. 1) You can ...
ASYLUM Germany or UK7/21/2011
  Q: I am a Sri Lanka Tamil and entered Germany in 1997 and sought asylum. I was granted the conventional ...
  A: Oje! That is quite an odyssey that you have behind you. Generally, any residence permit issued by ...
Inheritance with several children7/19/2011
  Q: My mother in law passed away some 20 months ago in Germany. She was living with her ...
  A: I share your suspicion that there is something dubious happening. 1) If no will has been found, the ...
German wants to marry divorced American woman with child7/18/2011
  Q: I (German citizen) felt in love with an American woman while I was staying in the USA on a student ...
  A: Hallo Alexander, ob die Mutter mit dem Kind die USA verlassen darf, hängt davon ab, ob sie und der ...
joint custody7/14/2011
  Q: I am divorced from my german wife and we have joint custody of our daughters. They live in germany ...
  A: this is not an atypical situation, yet legally it is still tricky: You having joint custody means ...
Mother of German Child Wanting to Leave Germany with Daughter7/11/2011
  Q: I've been living here in Germany for one year and two months with my German boyfriend and our ...
  A: if the father has no custodial rights, then you are allowed to move to another country with the ...
German baby, American mother7/8/2011
  Q: Greetings. I am in divorce court in US, studying in Germany, and now pregnant with a German ...
  A: 1) Yes, once paternity will be established, the non-custodial parent (in this case the father) will ...
inheritance7/7/2011
  Q: My English grandfather passed away, and left my son some money. my ex wife is german, i am english ...
  A: as the bequeather had British citizenship, German law does not apply. Art. 25 EGBGB (the German ...
Hauge Pet. Germany6/29/2011
  Q: In Feb. 2011 My german husband abducted our two youngest daughters and took them back to germany. We ...
  A: congratulations on winning the child abduction case! In my experience of these cases, no court ...
Child support outside Germany6/12/2011
  Q: I have a son who's father is a German guy, I'm not married nor he is and we are not living together. ...
  A: if your son is a German citizen, he can claim child support according to German law (Art. 18 V ...
Divorce in Germany or Ireland5/24/2011
  Q: i am married to a german girl for nine years and am seperated for the last two years we got married ...
  A: the jurisdiction between two (or more) EU countries regarding divorce is determined according to ...
Lawyers charges5/23/2011
  Q: I have two questions: a) Is it true that the first consultation with a lawyer in Germany - Berlin, ...
  A: a) It is not true that first consultations with a lawyer are free. Lawyers provide a service that ...
child suppotr for adult child5/6/2011
  Q: I am English and my ex wife is German. We married in England and divorced in Germany. I have been ...
  A: German child support law does not have a strict cut-off date at 18 or any other age. This ...
Ex-wife moving to Germany: Alimony5/1/2011
  Q: my ex-wife is possibly leaving France (where we lived and got divorced) and is heading for Germany ...
  A: we have to keep two questions apart from each other: (1) Would the German court hear the case, and ...
need help abt an inheritance issue4/28/2011
  Q: The situation is this My uncle in Essen Germany passed away couple of days ago. What I know so far ...
  A: I am very sorry to read about uncle's death and about the additional complicating circumstances. As ...
German divorce finalization4/26/2011
  Q: my partner is a US citizen who was recently divorced in germany and now resides in the US. we plan ...
  A: a divorce issued by a German court is finalized once no party has filed an appeal and the deadline ...
Inheritence and Ownership of Real Estate in Germany4/9/2011
  Q: My grandfather had a house in Hannover before WW2. He fled the country in time, and came back to see ...
  A: Shalom Gideon, if you have the address, finding out the current owner (and indeed a history of all ...
german passport3/29/2011
  Q: My grandmother has been married to a german citizen for over 40 years and lived in germany for 7 ...
  A: I am sorry, but you and your sister do not qualify for German citizenship based on ancestry. One of ...
German passport and nationality3/11/2011
  Q: I am married to german girl. but, i am pakistani. we married in nov-2007. we moved to germany with ...
  A: § 14StAG opens the possibility of obtaining German citizenship even if you don't live in Germany. ...
divorce and custody3/10/2011
  Q: My husband and I are german and live in the States on a R1 Visa. We want to get a divorce in Utah ...
  A: if both of you will continue to live in Utah, the custody of your children will be decided based on ...
Marriage in Germany3/3/2011
  Q: I am 26 years old wanted to marry 35 years old divorced lady with 2 kids in Germany. We are already ...
  A: the age difference is no problem at all. Your religious marriage has no legal effect (the same is ...
American/German Divorce3/2/2011
  Q: I am an American married to a German. We now live in the States but, we were married in Germany ...
  A: getting a foreign divorce recognized in Germany is not a big problem. Germany will only look at (1) ...
German and Dutch marriage law2/23/2011
  Q: My boyfriend and I would like to get married. He is German, I am Dutch, and we are living in Germany ...
  A: the country in which you get married in actually has the least effect on the law by which your ...
Lawyer bill for house purchase2/4/2011
  Q: As an American I bought a house in Germany. I contract a lawyer to do my house closure/purchase and ...
  A: then you are absolutely right: You have no contract whatsoever with this notary and therefore you ...
Asylum to work in Germany1/30/2011
  Q: I am from Pakistan, but came from Oman, studying in Germany for 10 month on language course. but on ...
  A: for claiming asylum, you would need to prove a specific persecution of your person or a group that ...
Paternity1/16/2011
  Q: I thought I got a German National pregnant. We went to sign the papers for the birth certificate. ...
  A: I am sure glad you did that DNA test now instead of in a few years. If you have already officially ...
Child Support enforced in Germany?1/13/2011
  Q: My husband is German and I am American, he has been living in the states for over 10 years as a ...
  A: if your (then ex) husband will fail to continue to pay after his return to Germany, you would have ...
German Residence1/12/2011
  Q: I'm a civilian employee of the American Government working and living in Germany. My wife is German ...
  A: Germany does not and cannot apply "normal" immigration law as long as you are covered under the ...
Child Support1/10/2011
  Q: I have been going through my child support agency to enforce child support. I know that my ex is ...
  A: if you have a court order for child support, then you are already entitled to it. You do not need to ...
German Residency/Work Permit Stamp Renewal1/7/2011
  Q: Moser, Can you please be so kind as to advice me how early can I renew my German Residency/Work ...
  A: you will be able to request an extension shortly (i.e. 1 to 2 months) before the expiration of your ...
EX-Wifes US Vacation To Germany1/6/2011
  Q: My ex-wife (A US citizen) wants to take our 8 year old daughter to Germany on vacation. Our child ...
  A: Germany is a member of the Hague Convention about the International Aspects of Child Abduction. So ...
Irish/German divorce1/5/2011
  Q: I am an Irish woman and I married a German man in Italy in 2005. Last year I went back to Ireland ...
  A: you are raising a whole lot of issues, which I will try to answer in the order in which you raise ...
Getting married in Germany1/4/2011
  Q: I come from an Asian country with no divorce but have been separated from my spouse for 10 years. I ...
  A: you will need to wait until the divorce pending in the US will be finalized. Otherwise, your ...
Re:divorce/child custody1/3/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me. I am an American citizen, my husband is German, we have been married for 2 ...
  A: as your child's legal residence is in Germany, only a German court would have jurisdiction over any ...
child support for 23 year-old daughter1/2/2011
  Q: i have a daughter who lives in germany. she will soon be 23. paternity was just established a few ...
  A: the court order can be modified either by a new court order or by agreement between you and your ...
Kindergeld12/29/2010
  Q: I'm an American working for the American Government in Germany. My wife is German and we have two ...
  A: yes, you (or strictly legally speaking your wife) are entitled to receive Kindergeld for your two ...
What should i do?12/25/2010
  Q: I'm currently having problems in my relationship with my wife of 14 years. I'm retired military and ...
  A: I am very sorry to hear about your situation. The "deadline" that your wife has given you sounds a ...
German citizenship by jus sanguinis12/21/2010
  Q: My mother was born to my German grandmother in Germany in 1957. Her and my grandmother immigrated to ...
  A: the decisive point will be if your mother still had German citizenship when you were born. If so, ...
Division of property12/20/2010
  Q: Going through a divorce. My grandmother and has had oil and mineral rights on her previous property. ...
  A: property or rights that you obtained before you got married, will remain yours. Property or rights ...
Rejected Asylum Seeker And Marriage12/15/2010
  Q: My question regards a rejected asylum seekers rights to marry in Germany. Mr. A from a Middle ...
  A: If I was Mr A's lawyer and a judge would question the validity of the marriage, I would say "Even ...
How can I get a Visa Extension?12/12/2010
  Q: Sir/Madam!I was married with a German girl about 9 years back and we have a 8 years old Son as ...
  A: § 28 I Nr. 3 AufenthG gives you a right to a residence permit if you have custodial rights for your ...
German citizenship through marriage12/10/2010
  Q: I'm a jordanian marriage from german wife for the last of eight years and we have three children ...
  A: obtaining German citizenship through marriage regularly requires residency in Germany (§§ 9 I, 8 I ...
residence in Germany after divorce from SOFA-protected spouse12/8/2010
  Q: I am a us citizen married to a us citizen here in Germany. My husband is a civilian contractor ...
  A: that's a tricky situation indeed, and unfortunately your husband is partially right: 1. Your ...
German Passport after family fled from Nazis12/7/2010
  Q: My German grandparents and my German mother came to the US in 1938 as a result of Nazi oppression. ...
  A: there are two possible ways for you to obtain or indeed already have obtained (which is perfectly ...
Child visitation12/1/2010
  Q: A friend of mine separated from his wife 6 months ago and his eldest child who is 12 decided to live ...
  A: if there is a court order for contact, the child is supposed to take part in that contact AND the ...
German Child Maintainence11/30/2010
  Q: Andreas I have 2 quick question if I may to do with my 2 daughters who are 18 and 21, live in ...
  A: 1. In German law (as in most other family law systems) there is no connection between parental ...
marriage with german girl.11/25/2010
  Q: Hallo sir, Thanks for giving me the chance to ask.Im a non EU citzen who has a visa in ...
  A: first of all, I am not sure a court would need to get involved. Usually, a marriage in Germany does ...
permanent visa for father of German child11/19/2010
  Q: I have a question regarding to German permanent visa. I am living in Germany for almost 4 years. I ...
  A: if you are the father of a German child and the child lives in Germany and you have some form of ...
marry German girl despite being married already11/13/2010
  Q: Gd day Mr.Andreas Moser, I'm Egyptian Muslim man live in Saudi Arabia and married since 5 years ...
  A: when you plan to marry in Egypt, you need to consult Egyptian law of course (in which I am ...
German Divorce vs. USA Divorce?11/8/2010
  Q: My wife and I were married in Germany while both serving in the US Military. We also had a USA ...
  A: you can get divorced in any country that has jurisdiction for your divorce. You do not need to get ...
Beibehaltung der deutschen Staatsbuergerschaft11/3/2010
  Q: Greetings, I am a German citizen but have lived in the U.S. for the last 10(plus) years as a ...
  A: there is no way of expediting this process. According to § 25 II StAG ...
jurisdiction for legal separation11/2/2010
  Q: My husband had an affair for 9 months in Germany last year while on business and then decided to ...
  A: in Germany (as in most other countries), there is no such thing as a legal separation. Separation is ...
Father rights in Germany11/1/2010
  Q: I live in UK. I had a relationship with a German girl and we had a baby 15 months ago. I was able to ...
  A: if you want to have any legal rights, it is imperative to establish legal paternity. With biological ...
American Citizen studying in Germany seeking divorce10/28/2010
  Q: Several questions regarding rights. Niece-in-law has come to Germany to get Master's and brought ...
  A: if the German courts have jurisdiction might be answered differently for divorce and for child ...
Writing an effective cross-border Will10/27/2010
  Q: I live in the UK and would like to write a Will making my parents who live in Germany as ...
  A: the German law of conflicts for international cases of inheritance stipulates in Art. 25 I EGBGB ...
Unpaid invoice in Germany10/24/2010
  Q: I am in dispute over the payment of an invoice with a company in Hamburg. After several attempts to ...
  A: Good evening Mary, jurisdiction for civil matters within the EU is governed by EC Council ...
Joint Physical Custody of my daughter.10/20/2010
  Q: I am a U.S. Soldier stationed in hohenfels, Germany. My wife and i are about to start our divorce. ...
  A: I see that you have thought of all the issues already that will be considered to be relevant, ...
divorcing a German man, I live in UK with child10/16/2010
  Q: I have been married to my German husband for 4 years. We lived together in Germany until April 2010, ...
  A: we have two issues here: "Where can you file for divorce?" (the "jurisdiction" question, and "Is UK ...
child custody - child abduction10/14/2010
  Q: i live in england and I was married to a german women for 4 years and we had a baby boy, my wife ...
  A: that sounds like a clear case of an international child abduction. Under the Hague Convention on the ...
My fiance is on parole in Germany and I am in America.10/4/2010
  Q: I have been in a relationship with a German citizen who lives in Germany for quite some time. I am ...
  A: first of all, there are two kinds of parole: Parole instead of going to jail (sections 56 et seq. ...
Visitation of daughter in Germany9/22/2010
  Q: I have had many issues with visitation with my daughter who is in the custody of her mother in ...
  A: German law does not actually set a minimum visitation time for the year. The law itself just uses ...

All Questions in This Category

German Law

Andreas Moser

Top Expert on this page