German Law/Questions Answered by Expert Henning Haarhaus

SubjectDate Asked
Laws and countries3/17/2017
  Q: If I live in Germany, but I am citizen of another country, which laws I am subject to? Some laws are ...
  A: Since the regulations regarding the age of consent are a matter of criminal law they apply to the ...
Power of Attorney POA1/14/2017
  Q: My wife is a GE citizen. She is in her 80's. Her brother died and named her in his will/estate. If ...
  A: If she is alive, you would need a POA. Since I do not know the requirements and restrictions (e.g. ...
Parents debts12/30/2016
  Q: my wifes German mother died recently, she had no money and the Stadt buried her, my wife and I both ...
  A: According to the rule of universal succession the heirs automatically step in the shoes of the ...
question on deduction of alimoney from german taxes11/12/2016
  Q: I live in Spain and my sons live in Germany with their mother. Every month I send to their mother ...
  A: Child support is not tax deductible if the paying parent claims for a tax exemption for children ...
"Quellensteuer für Steuerausländer"9/15/2016
  Q: Haarhaus, I am a German citizen, travelling from country to country and working as a freelance ...
  A: German national tax law does not provide any regulations in regard to "Quellensteuer". However, the ...
Inheritance9/2/2016
  Q: 2 years ago, my uncle (a German citizen, living in Germany) died and in his will he left everything ...
  A: Unless otherwise stipulated in your uncles or his partners will his estate had merged with the ...
Secondment to Germany from UK8/22/2016
  Q: My girlfriend has been offered a job in Berlin. I am one of three British directors of a British ...
  A: I cannot tell you if it would turn out to be a win-win scenario for you because I do not know the ...
Is there still an inheritance?7/18/2016
  Q: Many years ago, my now deceased grandmother received word from a lawyer in Germany that she'd been ...
  A: Upon the deathof an individual his successor diectly steps into the shoes of the deceased in regard ...
Adopted mother in nursing home6/23/2016
  Q: I was born in Germany and came to US when mother married US soldier. Mother died and father gave ...
  A: As fas as I know the German-American Judicial Assistance Convention regulates only child support. ...
German Health Insurance Payments10/15/2015
  Q: Can a German citizen, retired and now living in the US with family and currently receiving and still ...
  A: There is no social security agreement between Germany and the USA. For this reason, the German GKV ...
subletting a flat6/10/2015
  Q: Guten Tag, I know the German Law requires the landlord's permission for a sublease/sublet. I have ...
  A: If the whole flat is sublet you would always need his permission. If it is sublet only in part with ...
Question3/15/2015
  Q: I live in U.S.A. along with my siblings. My father passed away last summer in Iran. My uncle ...
  A: The German police does not give warnings. They investigate cases and report their findings to the ...
Labour law2/20/2015
  Q: I've been out of job here in Aachen Germany for a while now, and receiving unemployment benefit. I ...
  A: The decision to finance a re-training is at the discretion of the official of the Arbeitsagentur who ...
Mothers death2/6/2015
  Q: My mother (an american citizen) residing in Munich, Germany, owned 2 houses in Germany. She left no ...
  A: In Germany there is no probate proceeding and administration of the estate by state authorities. It ...
Freelance translating - postal address1/27/2015
  Q: Haarhaus, I was registered as a freelance translator in the city where I was living in Germany and ...
  A: A mail box in Germany alone does not constitute a residence here. In general, the question of a ...
anspruch auf Bafog1/18/2015
  Q: i am writting to inquire if by law,i have the right to apply for bafog(financial assistance) to ...
  A: I have translated the following passage from ...
Inheritence of RestitutionPension12/4/2014
  Q: My recently-deceased father, born Jewish in Halle, fled Germany in the late 30s. He became a US ...
  A: Possibly, your father received a pension according to the regulations in the Federal Act regarding ...
copy of grandmother's will11/29/2014
  Q: How can I get a copy of my grandmother's will from Germany to know what she left to her two living ...
  A: Maybe your grandmother`s will had been opened by the court, too? Then you would know if either your ...
Kindergeld fraud11/3/2014
  Q: I am an American Soldier married to a German Citizen. We have been living in the U.S. since 2011, ...
  A: Changes in the circumstances affecting the granting of Kindergeld have to be reported to the family ...
Illegal downloading10/29/2014
  Q: My landlady got a letter from a law firm representing a movie company that there has been illegal ...
  A: This area is a legal mine field. So I cannot give you full legal advice here. However, in contrast ...
EMPLOYMENT LABOUR LAW IN GERMANY10/22/2014
  Q: I am employed on a one year contract basis in Germany. I have completed the 6 month probation ...
  A: P.S. Please read this version. 1. If an employment contract stipulates exact monthly working hours ...
Inheritance Germany10/16/2014
  Q: My mother who is german born and married now living in the U.S has an aunt that we just heard passed ...
  A: German law does not provide a mandatory probate proceeding. If there is no will neither the courts ...
German Court Information9/26/2014
  Q: I am trying to learn more about the German bankruptcy system. How can you navigate the german court ...
  A: There is a search function "suchen" on the website. You can find there public notices to find out ...
German labor law - disciplinary pay reduction without prior warning7/31/2014
  Q: I'm working a Mini-job for a company based on a fixed time contract for a period longer than 6 ...
  A: In my opinion, they could make deductions only if they raised a substantial counter claim against ...
Interim Injunction with demand for fees6/4/2014
  Q: I am an independent business man located in the States and was served with a court document from the ...
  A: In Germany (as nearly everywhere in the world except for the US), the unsuccessful party in a law ...
Tax Refund for Joint Return: Who gets the return after divorce?3/10/2014
  Q: My (now ex-)husband separated and were living apart as of January 2012; we divorced October 2013. He ...
  A: Disputes often arise between separated spouses about the distribution of a tax rebate for years in ...
Inheritance tax12/10/2013
  Q: I would like to know whether a British ex-patriate living and resident for tax purposes in Germany ...
  A: As you maintained your residence in Germany at the time your father died you would be subject to ...
german inheritance laws11/24/2013
  Q: My mother was born in Germany. She married and came to the US in 1948. She has one sister still in ...
  A: Larsen, there is no simple answer to your question because for several inheritance claims different ...
must we pay US tax on Altersrente11/5/2013
  Q: Sir My wife receives an retirement pension from Germany. She is living in the US and is a permanent ...
  A: Since I am a German lawyer I cannot advise you on US tax laws. What I can say however is that the ...
Judge and Lawyer Dual Roles ?.10/17/2013
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyer‎ Can a Judge in ...
  A: The job profile of the lawyer as an independent institution of the judicature of its own right is ...
german tax10/14/2013
  Q: The German tax office are applying an attachment of earnings where they deduct the majority of ...
  A: German tax authorities collect wage taxes from the employers which serve as a prepayment on the ...
§ 18 Beamtenversorgungsgetz/Sterbegeld10/12/2013
  Q: Betr: § 18 Beamtenversorgungsgetz/Sterbegeld Guten Tag! Mein Vater war 30 jahre aös Beanter bei ...
  A: Das Sterbegeld hat den Zweck, die Mehraufwendungen in der Sterbezeit und die Beerdigungskosten ...
contract termination7/29/2013
  Q: I was recently notified by my employer that my year to year contract would not be renewed. This is ...
  A: In general, your opinion is right that a fixed term work contract is converted into an open ended ...
payment not made7/28/2013
  Q: i have a relocation business in germany and helped a family from the states moving to germany. i ...
  A: You can raise your claim only against the individuals who have become your contract partner. If you ...
Uncle's Will7/20/2013
  Q: my uncle died last week. He has no living spouse or children, only relatives are his two sisters, ...
  A: The local court Amtsgericht - Nachlassgericht - opens the wills and sends copies to all relatives ...
french probate7/17/2013
  Q: In 2005 I bought a property in france with my own money but put my partners name on the deeds. When ...
  A: Since I practices in Germany I only deal occasionally with French law. However, according to what ...
inheritance6/19/2013
  Q: My mother Lived and worked in Germany for about 12 years and she died last year.but unfortunately ...
  A: Yes, but in order to known what to claim for you should demand more information on the status of the ...
Inheritance from Germany6/5/2013
  Q: My mom here in California inherited aprox. $165,000 from a cousin in Germany. She received it in ...
  A: Every heir has to file a tax return to the German authorities. I do not know about US law but if the ...
RVG Attorney Fees Inheritance5/17/2013
  Q: Haarhaus, I am considering taking action in Germany regarding an Inheritance matter. I have found ...
  A: 1. It depends on what the lawyer does for you. If raises your claim in court in a contentious ...
Vacation rental - rights under the german law5/16/2013
  Q: I'm currently living in a vacation house. My rental started on 1 March, 2013 and it was supposed to ...
  A: P.S. Fixed lease periods can only be agreed upon if the apartment is let for a temporary use. ...
Child Support4/24/2013
  Q: My girlfriend is having my baby, we are NOT married, she told me because of German laws as soon as ...
  A: If the child welfare office gives an advancement the government will sekk to get its money back from ...
Inheritance4/19/2013
  Q: I am a German living in the US for many years. My mother (residing in Germany) passed away 1 1/2 ...
  A: The executor is obliged to set up an estate inventory without undue delay. He also has to render ...
legacy split4/15/2013
  Q: Our son, a US citizen, living in germany for 25 years. He passed away in Jan. of this year, having ...
  A: I tried to make a little more clear. I also improved my answer linguistically. I just corrected some ...
Rent reduction4/3/2013
  Q: I live in a rented apartment in Germany. Since the Fall of 2012 until presently, my heater has not ...
  A: You can only deduct for months in which the defect factually occors. Payment of the full rent under ...
kindergeld3/28/2013
  Q: my whole family (but me) have German Citizenship. We all leave in Israel but we do visit Germany ...
  A: No taxation - no benefits. That simple. Unlimited taxation requires a residence or an habitual abode ...
advice please3/26/2013
  Q: i am jadwiga barczuk i was living with my parents in poland my husband is indian he has resident ...
  A: Nach Ihrer Eheschließung im Ausland können Sie beim Standesamt Ihres Wohnorts in Deutschland die ...
Land titles3/21/2013
  Q: My mother recently passed away, and she grew up in Germany. Her brother still lives there, they have ...
  A: In order to make an inquiry at the local land registry of deeds and ask for an extract from the ...
german inheritance3/20/2013
  A: Visa, citizenship and residence of the wife are irrelevant in regard to the legal situation. Due to ...
Paternity and child support in Germany3/18/2013
  Q: If a mother gave birth to a child in Germany and no father was named.. Is there a statute of ...
  A: No statute of limitation to my knowledge. Pursuant § 100 of the German Family Court Proceedings Act ...
Germany's Inquiries3/13/2013
  Q: Haarhaus I have received a questionnaire from the Finanzamt Neubrandenburg in regards to the ...
  A: German Inheritance Taxation depends on either the last residence of the deceased up to five years ...
Canceling a lease3/9/2013
  Q: Greetings, I have reserved a 'vacation house' for a long stay from 17.11.2012 until 15.5.2013. ...
  A: Since you say that the contract does not mention anything about the cancellation if rental is ...
kindergeld.3/1/2013
  Q: Mein Mann ist Inhaber der Blauen Karte. Wir haben unser Kind in den Kindergarten kam. Ich bin in ...
  A: Die Sechsmonatsfrist ist nicht entscheidend. Entscheidend ist, dass - der anspruchsberechtigte ...
Inheritance law2/26/2013
  Q: German-in-laws had joint testament leaving assets to spouse and subsequently to both daughters. ...
  A: The period for the waiver of an inheritance starts as soon as one receives knowledge on the ...
Unable to pay Debts in germany2/22/2013
  Q: I am finding myself in a situation. Until a few months ago I had a Job and I got fired. And I have ...
  A: They can cancel the credit arrangement. Unless you have not been convicted to imprisonment or unless ...
German inheritance Laws2/18/2013
  Q: My brother, a US Citizen, recently died in Germany where he domiciled for 25 years. He was married ...
  A: The citizenship or residence of the heirs have no legal impact on the succession in regard to assets ...
Inheritance2/3/2013
  Q: My brother passed away in Germany. He was a South African citizen who has a residence in Germany & ...
  A: German courts apply the inheritance laws of the jurisdiction the deceased had been a citizen of, ...
Re shared custody1/30/2013
  Q: I'm really hoping you can help a little. I have been with my partner for 3 years now. He and his ex ...
  A: I am not a family lawyer and usually do not respond to such questions. What I can tell you however ...
revoke power of attorney1/24/2013
  Q: My step mother is a German citizen, married to my father in US. She had given her attorney ...
  A: Revocation should be possible without any formal requirements unless it is explicitly irrevocable. ...
Certificate of Inheritance and Accounting Demand1/16/2013
  Q: When demanding the Mandatory Share - how long can sole heir delay providing the estate inventory to ...
  A: On the one hand, the relatives entitled a forced share have nothing to do with the certificate ...
Death Certificate & Inheritance1/13/2013
  Q: Please assist with the following questions: 1. What is the legal requirements for death ...
  A: 1. The names of the parents of the deceased are not indicated in a death certificate. 2. Since ...
German Inheritance Laws,Pflichtteil and how it could affect our Uk property1/12/2013
  Q: My husband and I are about to purchase a house, in joint names in the UK. My husband is German and ...
  A: Just a few ideas here to illustrate your case from a legal point of view: 1. Under current law ...
Airline ticket = contract?1/10/2013
  Q: I purchased an airline ticket in August from Expedia.de, the German subsidiary of Expedia. Expedia ...
  A: We do not have particular small claims courts in Germany. You can bring any case with a value of ...
Work law12/20/2012
  Q: I am a dual national (German and U.S.), living and working in Germany since about 6-7 years. I live ...
  A: In its case law the Federal Labour Court ruled in the past that a German citizenship and a residence ...
umarried father not in birth certificate12/16/2012
  Q: my daughter was born in germany in 2003, outside marriage. her biological father never claimed ...
  A: The situation depends on whether the biological father has acknowledged his paternity at the child ...
'Presumable' German inheritance12/15/2012
  Q: I'm from Hungary and after our father suddenly died we inherited everything with my sister since we ...
  A: You will have to get in touch with the banks sooner or later anyway because they need to identify ...
Taxation of real estate in Germany12/11/2012
  Q: I am a non-resident of Germany. We would like to buy some commercial real estate in Germany and then ...
  A: There is no general rule according to which a company is more tax effecient than a private ...
Re-payment of German Pension12/8/2012
  Q: My Mother of German/Canadian decent, passed away in Jan 2012. She received a German pension ...
  A: Unfortunately, as her heir you inherited the German tax burden of your mother even if she had not ...
pension benefits11/16/2012
  Q: Can my mother claim her pension benefits if she live her in Philippines. She is already a German ...
  A: I would like to advise that your mother contacts the local office of the Deutsche ...
Inheritance11/13/2012
  Q: I was born in Germany to two German parents and within the first year of my birth, was adopted by ...
  A: If the laws of the respective US state applies on the adoption you would have to check these. ...
German Inheritance Process11/12/2012
  Q: My German grandmother just recently passed away and is survived by her son and grandchildren(me and ...
  A: If there is an intestate succession you and your brother would be entitled 1/4 of the estate and ...
German Taxes for a EU US military dependant11/6/2012
  Q: I am a US servicemen assigned to Germany. My wife is an Austrian citizen and US resident (green ...
  A: Your wife will have indicate her work to the FInanzamt. As she works as a freelancer there is both a ...
erbengemeinschaft10/25/2012
  Q: Ich bin teil einer Erbengemeinschaft in Deutschland und muss meiner Schwester eine vollmacht geben ...
  A: Sehr geehrte Frau Vandermark, in folgenden ein Textvorschlag für eine Abwicklungsvollmacht. Soweit ...
Improper Handling of German Uncle's Estate10/24/2012
  Q: Haarhaus, I have read the answers you provided on AllExperts.com and am very impressed, however, I ...
  A: I advise you to take action and to contact the Amtsgericht München Nachlassgericht Maxburgstraße 4 ...
Kindergeld - new law10/16/2012
  Q: Hallo. I'm Portuguese and live in Germany for 3 months and I'm working to 1 month. I've got two ...
  A: I am not aware of any recent changes in the laws. In fact, the European Court of Justice has ruled ...
Real estate ownership in Germany10/15/2012
  Q: Can real estate be purchased and owned in Germany by an Australian Trust. If yes, can you please ...
  A: German legal principles regard ownership titles as absolute which in general cannot be split unless ...
obtaining German citizenship9/24/2012
  Q: next year Jan we make me threeyears in married.Do i have the right to apply for a german passport?
  A: One requirement is a residence of eight years in Germany. For more information, I would advise to ...
mobile phone contract cancelation9/13/2012
  Q: I am a British soldier, based in Bergen-Belsen. I live in a house on the camp and yesterday at 1600 ...
  A: The purchaser of a defective good can claim for a replacement delivery pursuant §§ 437 no. 1, 439 of ...
Inheritance issues9/8/2012
  Q: My mother is a U.S. citizen who has a residence in Germany & has been living there for the last two ...
  A: By now, the inheritance law on a succession in Germany is connected to the citizenship of the ...
English wife, German husband, inheritance tax9/4/2012
  Q: My husband and I have been married for 2 years, we were married in England and currently live in ...
  A: Inheritance taxation generally is not related to the citizenship but to the residence of the ...
Appointed executor is not a family relative8/30/2012
  Q: I am a 22 year old Half Filipino, Half German guy. My father is a German & he died 5 months ago in ...
  A: If you claim for your Pflichtteil (share of 1/2 provided that your father died unmarried and has not ...
German property law-inheritance8/26/2012
  Q: My wife is from Bamberg Germany and her father wishes to pass several pieces of property to her and ...
  A: Although you have not mentioned it I consider the inheritance/ donation taxation as a main motive ...
Kindergeld8/2/2012
  Q: I have a child living in Mexico with the Mother. Am I entitled to kindergeld to support my child? If ...
  A: It depends on your nationality. Unless you are a citizen from a EU or EEA member state or ...
Property Search6/29/2012
  Q: We are looking for three property addresses in Germany, one in Hamburg, one is in Munich and one is ...
  A: There is no possibility of finding out the properties if you only know the name of the owner. The ...
forced sale of inheritance property6/25/2012
  Q: I am one of 5 heirs who live in Australia and our combined share is one-third, with the other ...
  A: A petition for compulsory partition by public auction can be filed by any co-heir. Everyone can bid ...
family reunification visa Germany6/22/2012
  Q: My wife is assigned to expat position in Germany in Ford Werke, and she has been working for 1 year ...
  A: Too difficult to deal with your issue completely. However,there are exceptions as regulated in § 30 ...
Power of Attorney6/12/2012
  Q: Haarhaus, I am one of three heirs to an estate in Germany. One of the heirs was granted power of ...
  A: Yes, this is possible. The award of a power of attorney is subject to the resolution of the heirs ...
Dispute over dentist bill in Germany6/7/2012
  Q: In September 2011 i was in Berlin and broke a tooth. I went to the dentist and they informed me that ...
  A: You share the burden of proof for your allegation that you paid the bill. Since it is likely that ...
Inheritance5/22/2012
  Q: My dear friend who was a German Born Australian citizen died last year and left all her assets to my ...
  A: I assess my fees pursuant the regulations and scales as regulated in the German Lawyer Remuneration ...
german property taxes5/15/2012
  Q: My wife inherited farm land from her mother in Germany. My wife passed away and I inherited the ...
  A: Your wife was subject to German IHT in regard to the whole estate she inherited from her mother. ...
USA-German Estate Tax Law4/24/2012
  Q: My spouse is a German citizen, but has been a permanent resident in the USA for many years. Much of ...
  A: The heirs are liable to German inheritance taxes in regard to the whole estate if they keep a ...
Validity of German divorce agreement in the UK.4/22/2012
  Q: I am a UK citizen living in Germany and married to a German citizen. We were married in Germany and ...
  A: I am not aware to what extent British law would allow a choice of law favouring German inheritance ...
Estate Taxes to Residents of Germany4/19/2012
  Q: Situation: Deceased widow left all her belongings to her brothers and sister living in Germany. Her ...
  A: As I practice in German tax law I can only provide you with my impressions on how I understand the ...
Inheritance3/25/2012
  Q: My mother (born in Germany, US citizen)lived in Frankfurt for the last 45 years with her companion ...
  A: The local competent authority is the Finanzamt Fulda - Erbschaftssteuerstelle - Königstraße 2 ...
Inheritance US mother to German daughter3/19/2012
  Q: How is the law when my mother (US citizen) who went back to Germany to be cared and protected by me ...
  A: Germany has the right to tax the world widely located assets for sure because both parties involved ...
Spouse's interest in real property located in Germany3/15/2012
  Q: My client is a German citizen. His wife owns a home in Germany. My client's wife is planning on ...
  A: In principal, the person named in the land register is the legal owner. In Germany, the community ...
inheritance3/8/2012
  Q: she died before my father her (brother) her son said he now owns the property i understand under ...
  A: the first thing would be to find out if your grand parents have written a will and if your father ...
Can an Australian Rental Loss be offset against German Income ?3/4/2012
  Q: I am a German citizen. I am currently an Australian resident & Australian tax resident & considering ...
  A: I apologize for my late answer. In principal, German tax law allows the deduction of negative income ...
property in germany2/27/2012
  Q: my father was a pow in england he lived in east berlin and never went back after the war he lived in ...
  A: I advise you to get in touch with the local court (Amtsgericht/ Nachlassgericht) in order to find ...
Vollmacht Power of Attorney Form2/15/2012
  Q: My son had me fill out a Vollmacht form in German Power of Attorney to him, plus send him my birth ...
  A: Unless stipulated otherwise in the power of attorney you can revoke it verbally, in writing or via ...
Running a US based business while living in Germany2/10/2012
  Q: I recently moved to Germany with my husband for his job. We are both US citizens. He has TESA ...
  A: According to Art. 10 para. 1 of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) individuals as named in the ...
Inheritance problems and delays2/6/2012
  Q: I have a relative in the Frankfurt area who died four months ago. I was included in the will but ...
  A: Without a Testamentsvollstreckerzeugnis (certification on the execution) the executor cannot ...
kindergeld2/3/2012
  Q: My husband and I are American. We are living in Germany from 8/2011-8/2014. He is working for ...
  A: Parents are eligible for Kindergeld in regard to their children who have a residence or an habitual ...
Where to make a will1/30/2012
  Q: My wife and I are both Canadian citizens (I have British citizenship as well) and we're longtime ...
  A: Well, since you both are Canadian citizens the domicile and the location of real estate property are ...
Pre nuptial agreement1/24/2012
  Q: I am presenting my son a gift in terms of a piece of land of his choice. The title deed of this land ...
  A: I assume that both spouses either are German citizens or live in Germany at the time they marry. If ...
Child Support Enforcement1/6/2012
  Q: I work for the Court in Florida. Department of Revenue is attempting collection of child support ...
  A: According to the case law rendered by the German Federal Supreme Court laches defenses can be ...
Executor and will12/30/2011
  Q: My step-grandmother died in Germany exactly seven weeks ago. Years ago she told me that I was ...
  A: If there is an executor then there is also a will. I would advise that you write a letter to the ...
Inheritance law12/29/2011
  Q: Harrhaus. I know I have received some good information from you in the past, so I am therefore ...
  A: The Nachlassgericht has nothing to do with it. It is the duty of the Testamentsvollstrecker to ...
German inheritance law12/27/2011
  Q: My Wife and I are Both U.S. Citizens (wife is German born but has only US citizenship) and we work ...
  A: Since your step daughter is not a relative by blood to you she is not entitled a forced share ...
Inheritance Question12/20/2011
  Q: My Aunt in Germany has always told me I would inherit whatever she might have in her estate when she ...
  A: Whereas you belong to the second class of heirs the aunt`s aunt and her offspring and all other ...
Wills - Succession and Authentication12/5/2011
  Q: My 84 year old uncle in Germany passed away three days before my 82 year old aunt. From my uncles ...
  A: Since you said that your uncle has five siblings but your aunt only one I assume that uncle and aunt ...
Death of an Inheritor Named in a German Berliner Will11/23/2011
  Q: In the case that one of the named inheritors in a German Berliner will is deceased, what becomes of ...
  A: P.S. If you gave me more details on the issue maybe I could give you some more clues. It depends ...
Voluntary (private?) Insolvency11/19/2011
  Q: My (German) brother died 2 months ago, I year before his insolvency expired! His wife and 2 ...
  A: Not only assets may be elements of an estate but also debts. The siblings and their offspring are ...
Inheritance from German convert to US11/10/2011
  Q: My father passed away recently and was born in Germany but lived permanently in US for over 50 years ...
  A: No German inheritance tax should become due because the citizenship is not a connecting factor in ...
inheritance gone wrong11/7/2011
  Q: In 2006 my wife's mother (British Citizen living in UK)inherited a 1/8 share in her deceased (German ...
  A: 1. If a statement of claim is filed at the court the proceedings begin. Since every law suit is a ...
Inheritance law11/6/2011
  Q: I have a question about the German inheritance law, and the Nachlassgericht. My wife's father passed ...
  A: I assume that you mean the Nachlassgericht by referrimg to "them". Maybe you misunderstood the role ...
land regestory11/4/2011
  Q: how do i find out who owns a house in Germany and if they have a mortgage
  A: We have land registers showing the legal relations of a property accurately (Grundbuch). Applicants ...
Estate11/1/2011
  Q: In Oct 2009 my wifes grandmother ( who was born German, and became a British Citizen later) died. ...
  A: In order to see things clearly: Where did grandmother had her last residence? Where do her children ...
Germany inheritance Law10/30/2011
  Q: Haarhaus. My mother, a Danish citizen, has been living in Germany for over 30 years and has been ...
  A: I would have to check the deed. Pflichtteil means compulsory share which is applicable in the event ...
German inheritance law10/20/2011
  Q: My question is quite complicated I think. 15 years ago my partner a German national was left a house ...
  A: 1) It depends on who you ask. British probate courts would apply English law if your partner has a ...
German Inheritance Law..debts and inheritence10/11/2011
  Q: My grandmother died last month. She was a widowed german citizen living in Hungary. She has two ...
  A: Q1: According to German law, the disclaimer period is 6 months. As Hungary determines the applicable ...
Income limits and tax-free benefit in another EU country9/27/2011
  Q: Haarhaus, I live and work in Germany. I am married (no kids) and my wife lives in Finland. I have ...
  A: As an alternative to the rules I have mentioned above, EU citizens can indeed switch from the German ...
inheritance law9/27/2011
  Q: 1994/95 supposed interest free credit from father, no repayment date fixed, he has said that it was ...
  A: Any claims for repayment of a loan are time barred within three years from the end of the year in ...
Inheritance law9/26/2011
  Q: If my posterity died long time ago In germany, I'm citizen of USA and he left money in the bank of ...
  A: The inheritance right is proved to third parties by presenting a certificate of inheritance ...
German Law/inheritance law9/24/2011
  Q: This question is part of one that you answered from the 10/2/2010 I thought that this problems ...
  A: I could not find you previous inquiry. But to answer your question. Yes, other people could serve as ...
german marriage and inheritance9/15/2011
  Q: I am a foreigner in Germany, recently married to a German. We individually own and manage various ...
  A: In Germany, the applicable inheritance law is governed by the citizenship of the deceased. So if ...
inheritance8/18/2011
  Q: My son's father who is german, died in may 2001. and just couple months ago my son sisters contact ...
  A: According to German law claims on the grounds of an inheritance generally become time barred after ...
Inheritance tax8/11/2011
  Q: Wir sind eine Erbengemeinschaft ( 8 Erben) und wir alle haben ein Anwesen mit Grundstueck geerbt. ...
  A: Wenn der Anwalt testamentarisch als Testamentsvollstrecker bestellt wurde, müßte er sich eigentlich ...
Child Support in Germany8/9/2011
  Q: Your previous response to a query "German Law/Child Support After 18 years old" was most helpful. My ...
  A: The tuition fees are not covered by the regular child support rates. As far as I know there have not ...
How long does probate take?8/6/2011
  Q: My husband was notified that he is receiving an inheritance from his deceased German father. We live ...
  A: In Germany thzere is no such thing like a probate. The heirs are entitled to take possession of the ...
international debt8/4/2011
  Q: I am wondering if you could help us. My fiance is a U.S. soldier stationed here in Germany. He ...
  A: From the perspective of the creditors only such individuals are liable for repayment who incurred ...
inheritance7/6/2011
  Q: My grandfather has passed away and left my german son money. as his father am i entitled to invest ...
  A: The citizenship of the child does not say anything about whether German law is applicable on the ...
Impact of German inheritance on a U.S. citizen6/27/2011
  Q: My mother's brother died in Germany in last fall and left his small estate fully to my mother in a ...
  A: The child can sue her in the US as well as in Germany. Since the decedent had his last residence in ...
german certificate of insurance5/26/2011
  Q: my aunt died in 2009.i am sole beneficary to her estate and bank account in hamm germany. i have a ...
  A: How could I know what your English lawyer does? Maybe he needs the money to pay translation fees of ...
Verbal Contract regarding a job in a German company5/13/2011
  Q: Dr. Henning Haarhaus, On the 05/05/2011 I had attended to an interview on a German company; this ...
  A: Verbal labour contracts are valid. In the event of breach you would be entitled to damages. However, ...
Abroad children and taxation5/4/2011
  Q: Good afternoon, I am an italian engineer working in Germany (fdirectly hired by a German company). ...
  A: In order for spouses to be eligible to tax class 3 and 5 they both must be subject to German ...
Last will and testament problems4/21/2011
  Q: I am a German national living in the UK and the eldest of three children. Recently, after a twelve ...
  A: P.S. As far as the access to medical files is concerned you do not have any entitlement in these ...
inheritance tax in two jurisidictions4/18/2011
  Q: My sister who is married and now a german resident with children in germany has just inherited ...
  A: In principle, the estate is subject to German taxation, too. Donations to foreign charities may not ...
illigitamate child inheritance4/17/2011
  Q: please can you help me. both my parents are german, when my mother became pregnant with me, my ...
  A: I understand that your mother was not married to your biological father. If he has not acknowledged ...
Fraudlant dealing in real estate4/11/2011
  Q: A German national , who was living in Australia ; signed a property purchase contract; than did not ...
  A: In Germany, unless provided in a will there is no statutory probate. Has this executor shown you his ...
inheritance tax on inerited propety4/10/2011
  Q: I am 65 years old father died 2001 left no will had 3 property do i have to pay inheritance tax i am ...
  A: The answer to your question - as far as German taxation is concerned - would depend on whether you ...
Filipina-German getting married with Pre Nuptial Contract4/7/2011
  Q: He insist to marry me only with a pre nuptial contract. I have the following questions before ...
  A: Since I do not practice in the field of family law you had better consult a family lawyer.
German disinheritance law4/4/2011
  Q: My brother-in-law was an English citizen and had been living in Germany for about 5 years. He ...
  A: No, because German courts generally apply the laws of the country of which the deceased had been a ...
inherititance rights of son in law ?3/24/2011
  Q: My wife's mother has recently passed away in Germany. The question is that her sister pre deceased ...
  A: Since the husband has no blood relationship to the mother he can also raise claims which he himself ...
Future inheritance of german house from father in foreign country with second wife and child3/10/2011
  Q: my german grand mother recently passed away. She has a house and some monies. Her sole heir is my ...
  A: Due to his German nationality German courts would apply German inheritance law. If he dies intestate ...
German Inheritance Tax3/8/2011
  Q: My brother and I are heirs to our grandfather's estate. He died over 10 years ago, but we did not ...
  A: It is the duty of the Testamentsvollstrecker to prepare the tax returns. Given the low payout of the ...
Ehevertrag3/3/2011
  Q: Usually people set up pre-nuptials to protect their interests, I am trying to find out if I can set ...
  A: Your intention to support your husband`s talent indefinitely speaks highly of you. Sharing your ...
Inheritance from my grandfather in Berlin, I'm in Kentucky2/27/2011
  Q: My grandfather, Reinhold Kohls, passed away last week at 98 years old in Berlin. His only ...
  A: If there is a will it could be in the appartment where your grandfather lived. He could also have ...
Contesting a will2/26/2011
  Q: My aunt (my mother's sister) died recently. She lived and died in Germany. Never married, no ...
  A: 1. Compulsory share for close relatives by blood only (descendents, parents) and the spouse 2. A ...
Period of validity to claim overtime payment in Germany2/25/2011
  Q: I work for a German company. I would like to know the legal period of validity to claim unused ...
  A: The period regarding the claim may be limited by a provision either in the individual employment ...
Tax class 1 and 32/24/2011
  Q: I'm a UK citizen and I received a job offer in Germany. My wife is also a UK citizen working in UK. ...
  A: In principle tax class 1 is applicable because your wife is not subject to unlimited taxation in ...
Protecting my future child's inheritance2/23/2011
  Q: I am Asian and going to be married to a German national who happened to have a son out of wedlock ...
  A: I will answer to the aspects of your question regarding inheritance. Since your partner is a German ...
Form of will2/22/2011
  Q: I am a British citizen living in Germany in my own property and it will probably be where I shall ...
  A: Both forms (British: witnessed testament; German: fully handwritten or notarial recorded) are ...
German Inheritance Law2/21/2011
  Q: My 82 year old father is a German born American Citizen. He has the following assets in Germany. 1) ...
  A: The German tax burden (i.e. the assets which are subject to German taxation and the applicable ...
German inheritance law2/10/2011
  Q: My husband was born in Germany where his mother still resides. He is the only son of a marriage ...
  A: As far as the care for your mother-in-law is concerned I would say that apart from the question if ...
Tax class 3?2/4/2011
  Q: Haarhaus, I have just moved permanently to Germany to work. I am married and have no children. My ...
  A: According to § 1 a of the German Income Tax Code a spouse having a citizenship of the EU-member ...
contesting a Will in Germany1/22/2011
  Q: My sister, brother and I are seeking advice on contesting a will in Germany. Our father married a ...
  A: I understood that there is no blood relationship between you, your sister and your brother on the ...
Is U.S. Property Subject to Pflichteil1/19/2011
  Q: A friend of mine is dealing with a difficult situation. The friend, the Husband, is a German-born ...
  A: P.S. Let me precise in one point. Due to the lex situs real estate located in the US is not ...
property rights1/17/2011
  Q: We're thinking of getting married in July. I"m English and He's German. I own a house in London he ...
  A: The matrimonial regime applicable to your marriage depends on where you marry and live at the time ...
inheritance1/11/2011
  Q: my husband was born in Germany to two German citizens. His parents divorced a few years later and ...
  A: Since I believe that your husband was adopted in Canada several questions would arise: Has the ...
communist occupation of property and return to proper heirs12/31/2010
  Q: My grandparents owned a hotel along the Elbe river in East Germany. Hotel/restaurant was taken over ...
  A: If the lawyer does not respond (maybe because he has not been paid) you should ask him for a copy of ...
rights to inheritance12/27/2010
  Q: My father died in Oct. of 2010 in Germany. He is of German nationality. I live in Canada but born ...
  A: Since there is no probate proceeding in Germany, it i in the sole responsibility of the inheritor to ...
inheritance12/24/2010
  Q: I live in the USA. born in Germany but now a US citizen. I am the only living relative to my aunt ...
  A: There is such such thing like a probate proceeding in Germany. Probably, the local court has ...
flame retardants in children's sleepwear12/5/2010
  Q: I live in the US, but my mother-in-law frequently visits Germany. I have 3 children, and am not a ...
  A: There seems not to be any regulation in this regard because flame-retardants on clothing as to be ...
jointly owned home12/2/2010
  Q: My husband wants a divorce and we are currently living 'seperated' in the same home in Berlin for ...
  A: Your husband`s obligation to pay off the mortgage is a contractual matter between him and the bank ...
Inheriting Money & Marriage11/30/2010
  Q: I will be inheriting money from a dying relative. I am also planning on moving to Germany and ...
  A: Provided that German family law applies, i.e. you marry in Germany while you live here the ...
German Gift Taxes11/22/2010
  Q: I am a US citizen residing in The US. I own an apartment in Germany. I would like to gift this ...
  A: P.S. I should add that German law distinguishes between unlimited and limited taxation as far as the ...
Inheritance Law11/21/2010
  Q: I am an American, married to a German. Together we have 3 children and live in Germany. We need ...
  A: The laws regarding the formal requirements for wills according to American law depend on the ...
Bank debts following heirs11/2/2010
  Q: My father's sister passed away in Germany and left a huge bank debt. Her children have ...
  A: P.S. If your father decides to leave everything as it is he will get a bad credit record in Germany. ...
disinherited10/29/2010
  Q: My husband's father recently died in Germany, where he was born, but was an Australian citizen. Late ...
  A: If German inheritance law is applicable to the succession case your husband and his siblings would ...
inheritance law10/1/2010
  Q: My brothers wife died 2years ago, they had been married for only 9 months , though together for 6 ...
  A: Unless there were no children the parents of the deceased were ideed entitled to a share of 25 %. ...
Inherit money in Germany.9/23/2010
  Q: Me and my brother are not citizens of Germany, nor living in it, but my brother had bank account in ...
  A: If neither the inheritor nor the decedent had their residence in Germany their will no be taxation ...
leaving inheritance to minors in germany9/15/2010
  Q: I am distributing cash from a US Estate to minor child in Germany. How does Germany handle ...
  A: P.S. As an executor you would have to comply with the minor tax obligations, too. Both parents ...
power of attorney9/14/2010
  Q: Does Power Of Attorney exist in German law? How do you use it? Does Germany have specific forms, ...
  A: Yes, of course. In principle, a power of attorney form signed by the principal serves as an orderly ...
Does German law recognise a foreign will?9/14/2010
  Q: I am a British citizen and my wife is German. We live in England. Most of our property is located ...
  A: The testator has no choice regarding the applicable inheritance law. Due to her German citizenship ...
Inheritance ?9/2/2010
  Q: My father,grandparents and aunt moved from romania to Germany during wwII. They were German ...
  A: I advise you to set an enquiry to the courts which are locally competent for the districts where ...
International Inheritence Law9/1/2010
  Q: I am a British citizen, married to a German national who also has British nationality, living in ...
  A: In regard to real estate located in Germany, German inheritance law would apply (including the rules ...
RE: German Refugee Law9/1/2010
  Q: Are there any prominent German cases involving North Korean refugees?
  A: North Koreans are automatically entitled to the South Korean citizenship because the ROK assumes ...
testament rules8/27/2010
  Q: regarding testaments, if your grandmother has a testament and it entails you not to sell a certain ...
  A: It depends on the interpretation of the will. If it is to be interprated as condition (Auflage) a ...
Shared heir will not respond8/25/2010
  Q: I have tried to contact my brother in regards to a shared estate(each one would get half).When I ...
  A: Your brother cannot loose his share in the inheritance if he does not cooperate. As far as the ...
buying a house in germany8/24/2010
  Q: im a british civilian working as part of NATO in germany and the local german tax office wants me to ...
  A: The income of your wife is subject to German taxes. I would think that this also applies to Germaan ...
Insolvenz8/23/2010
  Q: Herrhaus, I have a question regarding debt and insolvenz. I am currently residing in Germany and ...
  A: A German insolvency proceeding would also cover liabilities entered abroad. A German insolvency ...
testament8/17/2010
  Q: My mother died last year and lived in Germany and I don't know if she made a testament or not.I live ...
  A: You could place an inquiry at the court which is locally competent for the district where your ...
Former German citizen asked to submit tax info to Germany8/13/2010
  Q: I'm not sure if you can answer this. My 72 year old father came to Canada in 1957 and became a ...
  A: In Germany, the civil obligation to support family members in need not applies only to parents in ...
Estranged heirs receiving german estate8/12/2010
  Q: My brother since getting married years ago has become estranged from me and the rest of his ...
  A: The certificate of inheritance declares but it does not constitute your title of succession. It ...
German Will8/11/2010
  Q: My Sister is a US & German dual citizen living now in Germany >30 years. She has been married to ...
  A: Handwriting is the lawful form for wills in Germany. Should your sister own property/ real estate in ...
Pflichtteil7/7/2010
  Q: Can you clarify how the ammount of Pflichtteil is calculated ? In this case there is a main heir and ...
  A: For the principles on calculating the Pflichtteil I would kindly refer you to my website where you ...
Revoking the power of Testamentsvollstrecker7/3/2010
  Q: Is there some legal process to replace or remove the person named as Testamentsvollstrecker ? We ( ...
  A: A conflict of interest is always inherent in the relation between an executor and the inheritors. ...
US Citizens Inheriting German Property6/28/2010
  Q: My mother recently passed away and left both real estate and bank accounts to her children. My ...
  A: 1. Banks need not but usually inquire for a certificate of inheritance in order to make sure that ...
Lawyers Fee for giving advice via the phone6/19/2010
  Q: I recently asked another lawyer for a second opinion via the phone. The German lawyer requested some ...
  A: As you know the fee for an initial consultancy (one only) for a private consumer is limited to 190 ...
German inheritance tax process6/14/2010
  Q: My uncle, a US citizen living in Germany, died last year and left his estate to 11 nieces and ...
  A: P.S. An administrator is liable if the tax on the assets he administers is not paid. This applies to ...
Need copy of will and distribution of inherited property6/8/2010
  Q: My German ex-wife, a US resident since 1972, received a large inheritance after her mother`s death ...
  A: Your wife ought to contact the Amtsgericht - Nachlassabteilung - which is locally competent for the ...
Disinheritance of sd. spouse6/8/2010
  Q: My dad is a german citizen who lived in South Africa since 1961 , he had a permanent residence in ...
  A: A rather difficult question. According to German international law the applicable inheritance law is ...
last will and testement6/2/2010
  Q: Does the German government respect US Soldier's will if he owns property in both Germany and the Us. ...
  A: Germany has ratified the HAGUE CONVENTION ON THE CONFLICTS OF LAWS RELATING TO THE FORM OF ...
last will and testements6/2/2010
  Q: I was wondering if Germany would respect a will and testament of an American soldier who owns ...
  A: It would be deemed valid in both countries in principle (Florida does not accept handwritten wills ...
krankenhilfe for mother living in Germany5/23/2010
  Q: How is "WOHNWERT EIGENHEM" calculated for the purpose above? Thank ou Elisabeth
  A: The advantage that someone does not have to pay a monthly rent is considered as imptued income. On ...
german inheritance5/22/2010
  Q: In 1998 my grandfather died in Nurnberg. Myself and my brothers each received what I believe was ...
  A: No, principally in Germany there is no statutory administration of the estate by a state agent. We ...
illegitamate child inheritance5/21/2010
  Q: my name is seamus, i'm 19 years old and i am half german. my dad is german, he and my mom are not ...
  A: He is your father in legal termy only if he has acknowledged his paternity at the child welfare ...
CItizenship5/19/2010
  Q: The great-grandfather (from the mother's side) of my grandfather immigrated to the USA in the late ...
  A: If your grandfather does not know exactly whether he has the German nationality or not he should ...
German Tax Law5/18/2010
  Q: Our company is going to hire two people who will be Americans working on Spangdahlem AB. These will ...
  A: Taxes depend ob wehther the employees are married, if they have children and how much they earn ...
kindergeld5/18/2010
  Q: I'm a German citizen and so is my child. I'm going to move to Germany but my wife and my child will ...
  A: As the child does not live in an EU-member state or a country with wghich - at least to my knowledge ...
Inheritance rights5/3/2010
  Q: I am asking this question on my Fathers behalf. My Father's Father is a German Citizen and is now ...
  A: 1. The entitlement of your father firstly would depend on if your grandfather has made a will. If ...
Getting married & leavind dad money in my Will5/2/2010
  Q: I have my Standesamt wedding next weekend and I currently have a a 5 figure sum invested in the UK ...
  A: P.S. If you establish a domicile of choice in Germany German inheritance law would apply including ...
Tax on Inheritance4/28/2010
  Q: I will be recieving an inheritance from Germany. I know that an agreement exists between Germany and ...
  A: P.P.S. Please note that my answer I gave you was wrong. The taxation depends on where and how long ...
marriage in Germany4/26/2010
  Q: I am a Zambia lady who has a Germany Fiance, he is coming soon to marry me here in Zambia in few ...
  A: Marriages concluded abroad are valid generally. It should be possible to get a residence permit on ...
ancestral citizenship4/25/2010
  Q: my grandfather left germany in 1858 and came to south africa. (i have a record of his baptismal in ...
  A: If you do not know exactly whether you have the German nationality or not you should initiate a ...
Lack of will/ how do i proceed?4/23/2010
  Q: My 93 year old grandmother passed away recently in Germany. I am the oldest of her 4 grandchildren, ...
  A: P.P.P.S In order to get the transcription in the land registry you will need a certificate of ...
German Lawyers' Fees4/17/2010
  Q: Haarhaus, I am writing with a question about fees charged by lawyers in inheritance cases. I am ...
  A: In the last years the lawyers´ practice of billing has been liberalized and there may be several ...
German inheritance taxes4/15/2010
  Q: Under the new German inheritance and gift law, is a person who is a German citizen residing in ...
  A: As far as your rating practice is concerned I would like to add there are grades inbetween 1 and and ...
unused vacation german law4/8/2010
  Q: I work for a US company, but have a german contract. If I have unusued vacation at the end of the ...
  A: Should German law be applicable you could generally not carry the unused vacation into the this ...
Divorce benefits for a German woman4/7/2010
  Q: Is it true that the German ex-wife would get more benefits from the German ex-husband in terms of ...
  A: Whether the spouse can claim for spousal support depends on the income situation of both spouses. ...
german citizenship3/28/2010
  Q: My daughter would like to play professional basketball in Europe. I believe the teams are limited to ...
  A: Three foreigners are allowed to play in a women or men team playing in the German Bundes Basketball ...
What would happen if a German father refuses to pay child support for a child3/27/2010
  Q: What would happen if a German father refuses to pay child support for a child that is living in the ...
  A: Actually, there is not much more which you can do to enforce claim against someone than taking him ...
paternity and child support3/24/2010
  Q: While in the Army I was stationed in Germany and had a daughter with a women there. For the past 8 ...
  A: If you accepted your paternity once you are liable for child support. It is the right of the child ...
Divorce in Singapore3/22/2010
  Q: Haarhaus, My husband and I are both born in Germany and married after German law in 2002. We have ...
  A: I can only tell you how a German court would decide on the matter if it declared itself ...
my kids3/14/2010
  Q: I have a big problem i live in germany..i have 2 kids with my ex girlfriend..i see my kids every 2 ...
  A: So far, fathers of children who were born out of wedlock only are entitled joint custody if the ...
Visa after Divorce3/13/2010
  Q: I am a Filipino National and married for 9 yrs with a German man. We live in Dubai together for 6 ...
  A: P.S. I cannot tell you if it would make a difference if you now applied for an unlimited residence ...
Non Disclosure Agreement3/11/2010
  Q: Are NDAs subject to German law more onerous than those subject to English law, and are there any EU ...
  A: There is no general legal standard in the EU or in any EU national jurisdiction for all kinds of ...
divorce proceedings german3/9/2010
  Q: I am an American soldier, and i am married to a German citizen. What are the stipulations regarding ...
  A: Separation period of one year if both spouses agree upon having a divorce, if not the period is ...
Self employed and working in germany/taxation3/4/2010
  Q: We are an English family looking to move to berlin later this year. We are self employed (work with ...
  A: You will be subject to German income taxation. As you work for one employer only I am not quite sure ...
Ehevertrag3/1/2010
  Q: I am a Syrian girl (only have a Syrian nationality) married recently to a German man (he has a ...
  A: in principal, a notarial marriage contract stipulating a matrimonial regime of separated assets ...
Inheritance rights of spouse's children2/28/2010
  Q: I am a British citizen, living in Germany, married to a German citizen. I own the flat we live in ...
  A: P.S. What you can do in order to refrain the compulsory share to the estate owned by the father only ...
inheritance, pre nup, and child support payments for children of a new spouse's previous marriage2/26/2010
  Q: I've been feverishly reading many of the posted questions on this site with excitement and hope for ...
  A: Please let me answer your question number three. The home in the US is subject of the American ...
vollmacht/custody2/24/2010
  Q: I am divorcing a German national, prior to leaving Germany I signed a Vollmacht (power of attorney) ...
  A: The court would have to consider if an exercise of the joint cistody is feasable at all regarding ...
Debtors2/13/2010
  Q: I am owed a significant sum of money from a company that contracted me to work for another client ...
  A: There are ideed reliable debt collection agencies in Germany. However, if the debtor does not ...
Income tax and SOFA Status2/11/2010
  Q: I am a military spouse and my husband is stationed in Germany. I have SOFA status and I've been ...
  A: In Germany, you distinguish between social security contributions (Sozialabgeben) - including ...
bank accounts2/2/2010
  Q: My father who was German lived in England but also had a German bank account that his pension was ...
  A: You will need the help of a sworn translator. However, maybe you furnish the will to the bank and ...
joint ownership of property and inheritence1/31/2010
  Q: Myself and my sister have dual English/ German nationality through my father who is German. Our main ...
  A: 1) Yes, in principle. However, you should be aware that Germany does not require the appointment of ...
Inhertance Tax1/27/2010
  Q: I'm an American citizen living in the US. I have real estate in Germany which I've owned for 20 ...
  A: P.S. You said that you wish to appoint your former wife as your heir. So I skipped the fact that you ...
Divorce1/24/2010
  Q: my husband is German and we are going through a divorce. I'm hoping you can help. My husband is ...
  A: We have land registries here which show the owners. If you know the address of the property you can ...
GERMAN CIVIL SERVICE EXCLUSION1/21/2010
  Q: Sir... I am German, my partner is US citizen, we live in Australia. Is it possible to obtain a ...
  A: I do not quite understand your question. At first, I thought that it is the Zivildienst ...
Divorce Settlement1/19/2010
  Q: My husband and I are looking to get divorced in the next couple of months. I don’t have the ...
  A: Concerning the situation according to German international divorce law: If both spouses were married ...
MARRIAGE THROUGH VIDEO CONFERENCE12/12/2009
  Q: SIR,I MARRIED A GERMAN NATIOANAL GIRL FROM GERMANY ON VIDEO CONFERENCE CALL.I WAS IN PAKISTAN WHILE ...
  A: If the marriage was concluded in Pakistan the countrie´s regulations regarding its validity apply ...
Yes or no answers12/11/2009
  Q: If a German mother has a child in a one night stand, can she get a default order of paternity and ...
  A: Unless the man has accepted his paternity or a positive declaration has been issued by a court ...
child custody/ divorce12/9/2009
  Q: my wife and i are getting divorced. i recently received the petition in the mail requesting the ...
  A: The support question and the custody question are two different issues. So, you would have to pay ...
Child Support and Taxes12/7/2009
  Q: I have 2 questions. 1) Can a child with dual citizenship (German and US) be claimed under the ...
  A: 1. Eligibility for Kindergeld depends on the residence not the citizenship (exeption: the parent ...
Civil Union Question in Germany12/6/2009
  Q: I am a male considering entering into a Civil Union with a male partner in Germany -- I am in my ...
  A: Here are the answers to your two questions: 1. Not that I know of. 2. Yes, as far as there is no ...
Question about citizenship11/30/2009
  Q: I am aware of a policy that Germany has stating that grandchildren of expat Germans qualify for ...
  A: Generally speaking children of Germans obtain the German citizenship. However, a lot of countries ...
german father died in Uk at daughters residence, but rented flat left in germany11/23/2009
  Q: please help so we can be left to grieve! My grandad came to live with me and my Mum (we both have UK ...
  A: You can waive your inheritance within six months at the German probate court (declaration deserves ...
Claiming step children on German taxes11/21/2009
  Q: I have a quick question, which I have been unable to find the answer to elsewhere. I am a U.S. ...
  A: As you might know the parent the child lives with can either claim for Kindergeld (child benefits) ...
german wife seeking child support11/20/2009
  Q: I and my wife were married almost 6 years. when we decided to separate we ended up fighting over the ...
  A: The child living with you has a support claim against the mother, too. However, as support claims ...
child support11/19/2009
  Q: My husband is an only child and his mother has passed on. About 3 months ago, my husband had to have ...
  A: The statute of limitation for child support claims is four years. Moreover, irrespective of the ...
German Divorce11/18/2009
  Q: Turkish boyfriend is currently married to a German citizen and is living in Germany on a Schengen ...
  A: Please be aware that the residence permit of your Turkish boyfriend might have ended already at the ...
German inheritance to be received in the UK11/13/2009
  Q: Herr Haarhaus guten tag. My wife and I have been married and living and working in the UK for the ...
  A: I assume in the following that your wife is domiciled in the UK. Principally, even in this case ...
Divorce w/ Denmark Marriage11/12/2009
  Q: I am an American married to a German citizen and we got married in Denmark and both currently live ...
  A: I can only advise on German law, not on American or Denish law: Before filing for a divorce the ...
how do you communicate a courts order to the person in question according to the 2007 eu law11/11/2009
  Q: I am interested in sending from Greece to Germany, to a German citizen a Greek courts deicing ...
  A: Well, as the furnishment of a document which has to do with a legal proceeding is an official act it ...
Power of Attonery Germany11/7/2009
  Q: I need to get power of attorney for my mum in Germany. How do i do it? She is ageing and needs ...
  A: I would like to counter your question with my own: As you live on the other side of the world - are ...
US citizen has child with German citizen11/2/2009
  Q: I'm a US citizen and have had a child with a German citizen, we are not married. Does being the ...
  A: I assume that the child was born and lives in Germany. In the event that you accepted your paternity ...
Termination of alimony10/30/2009
  Q: I was divorced in Germany and has been receiving child support fir our two kids and alimony. My kids ...
  A: As he remains the father of the children he is still liable for child support. The new spouse does ...
us/ german divorce10/28/2009
  Q: I am hoping that you can give me a general idea of how to divorce a German citizen, I am a us ...
  A: You need a divorce jdgement renderred by a court. As there is a German citizen is invloved a ...
I want to seperate from my wife10/28/2009
  Q: I am Tanzanian,living in Nürnberg. I married to a Germany woman 12.04.2004. Til now we have no ...
  A: In case of the separation of spouses (not divorce) the residence permit of the foreign spouse ...
custody10/28/2009
  Q: My son has two children with a German girl, they are not married, They lived as a family in England ...
  A: Unless he accepted his paternity by notarial deed or at the child welfare office your son is not ...
Prenuptial agreement10/27/2009
  Q: Could you recommend me please about several notary public (a qulified impartial lawyer) lawyers, not ...
  A: They cost all the same. For fnding a notary public in Munich, you can use the online search of the ...
International Prenuptial Agreements; Independent residence; Divorce10/27/2009
  Q: I am Israeli citizen; I’m currently living in Germany. My boyfriend is German and we intend to get ...
  A: You will be able to prolong the visa indefinetly. You can work but need not to. Independent ...
From what countries is it easy for German women to get child support enforced10/27/2009
  Q: From what countries is it easy for German women to get child support enforced if the father will not ...
  A: Here is a list of the 65 countries that signed the UN Convention on the recovery abroad of ...
prenuptial agreements under German law.10/26/2009
  Q: I am a American and have been dating my German boyfriend for two years. In July of 2008 I quit my ...
  A: Prenuptial agreements are quite common in Germany. It is a reasonable measure of asset protection if ...
What will happen if a duel US/Belgium national has a child in Germany and the mother wants child support10/23/2009
  Q: What will happen if a duel US/Belgium national has a child in Germany and the mother wants child ...
  A: The applicable law for child support is German law because the child lives here. You can contact a ...
American divorce decree in Germany10/22/2009
  Q: I was divorced with my German ex-wife back in February 2008. We both resided in Arizona USA during ...
  A: In order to get the divorce decree acknowledged, one of you has to file a petition for ...
separation/divorce10/18/2009
  Q: . we were married for less than 2 years, we separated after 23 months of marraige, we have a 20 ...
  A: The child support claim does not depend on how long the marriage exists. Finishing a marriage to go ...
probate10/18/2009
  Q: Does a german "unbeschraenkter Erbschein " issued in germany override probate decisions in the event ...
  A: The conflict of ontradicting decisions renderred in different jurisdictions is resolved by the fact ...
paternity and child support10/17/2009
  Q: My husband is in the military and was stationed in Germany. He left Germany in 2005 and was ...
  A: The test would have to carried out by an expert named by the court. Your lawyer would have to ...
Child Maintenance10/17/2009
  Q: The Dusseldorfer Table has age brackets (0-5, 6-11, etc). My husband currently pays according to the ...
  A: The child´s substantive claim is calculated according to bthe Düsseldorfer Tabelle. The judgment ...
visa issue10/15/2009
  Q: my husband graduated from a german university and currently working in an IT company since 2 months ...
  A: The answer to your question depends on the kind of residence permit which your husband obtained. If ...
German divorce and inheritance10/14/2009
  Q: I have a general question about how marital assets are divided in a German divorce (2 German ...
  A: In the event that German matrimonial law should apply to your case the gains which have been ...
Child born in Germany10/13/2009
  Q: I am currently stationed in Germany and I have given birth to my daughter just last week. The ...
  A: You or the biological partner may file an action for a declaratory judgement regarding the ...
Minimum child support10/13/2009
  Q: My husband is an American and his exwife is German. His two children are living in Germany on a US ...
  A: 1. Yes, 900 Euros if he works, 770 Euros if he is unemployed. If the new partner/ spouse is employed ...
Child Support10/13/2009
  Q: My daughter was born in Germany in 1989 and live in Germany. She is now 20 years old, working and ...
  A: According to German legal reasoning the solidarity among family members does not end at the age of ...
German Inheritance tax10/8/2009
  Q: Does the estate of a US Citizen need to pay the inheritance or any other tax to Germany before ...
  A: P.S. In Germany, the administrator of assets, i.e. the executor must file the tax return to the tax ...
Child Support10/7/2009
  Q: I have been divorced from my wife for the last seven years. She returned to Germany with our ...
  A: As your daughter would move back to Germany its respective support law would apply. According to ...
benefits10/3/2009
  Q: I am a German citizen living in the U.S.. I came here as a child and have never worked in Germany. ...
  A: According to 3 24 of the XII Social Code Germans who live abroad have access to German welfare ...
Inheritance law10/2/2009
  Q: I have a question about inheritance law in Germany. My father a Norwegian citizen died in April ...
  A: According to German law, testaments are valid if they either are recorded by a notary public or if ...
Divorce in Germany - British Forces10/1/2009
  Q: Good Evening. I am currently divorcing my German wife in NRW. She is local, and I am a British ...
  A: The increase in value of the house due to the renovation would be subject to the Zugewinnausgleich ...
Kindergeld9/29/2009
  Q: My wife is working in German firm( near Buhl)deputed from parental office for 2 years. we have ...
  A: Foreigners may apply for Kindergeld if their residence permit are entitled to work here and if their ...
Soon to be father9/29/2009
  Q: I am English currently living in the UK. My partner lives in Germany. We are planning to have a ...
  A: You need not to marry. All you is this: Acceptance regarding your paternity to be filed at the ...
German Inheritance Law9/25/2009
  Q: My son died in Germany last year. He was an American citizen and did not become a naturalized ...
  A: P.S. regarding your rating please note that I fully answered your question. You may not have liked ...
long gone sell by date9/24/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you can help me. This morning I went shopping at a large supermarket chain store ...
  A: Unless you suffered damages of any sort I cannot see that you have a claim. You could get in touch ...
validity of uk will in germany9/24/2009
  Q: i am a british citizen. my wife has dual nationality uk & german and is currently resident in ...
  A: 1/4 of the estate assets´ value including the value of donations which were given when the deceased ...
Can an au pair quit without 2 weeks notice and then face monetary penalties9/20/2009
  Q: I am an american au pair who came to work in Germany. My family was a nightmare and finally I told ...
  A: I am sorry that your au pair stage took such a bad end. Maybe it is possible to find another family ...
german will/inheritance9/19/2009
  Q: A Brazilian friend who for 6 years was a companion of a prominent single German businessman was left ...
  A: Your friend should set an inquiry to the local court (Amtsgericht) which is competent for the ...
Parental rights (father) outside of marriage9/18/2009
  Q: I'm a Canadian citizen currently staying in Leipzig. My girlfriend, a German citizen from this ...
  A: Your rights will depend on whther you accept your fatherhood. If not, you will not appear on the ...
Sitler will9/1/2009
  Q: Baron Mattias Von Sitler left a sealed will in 1700's to be opened 100 years after his death, ...
  A: P.S. As I said in my last posting: Hüttental is located in Westfalia and for this reason petitions ...
Is this Correct Yes or No7/16/2009
  Q: One Educated American woman who did her homework even asked a German lawyer, that if a prenuptial ...
  A: Not necessarily correct. http://www.vatersein.de/News-file-article-sid-1105.html ...
childbirth in germany between two minors who are american7/15/2009
  Q: If two minors have a child in germany and both want to be on it's birth certificate is it true the ...
  A: As far as I know the mother appears automatically in the birth certificate. She has to announce the ...
Seperating and divorcing in Germany7/11/2009
  Q: I am a South African married to a German, have been living in Germany for 5 years now with ...
  A: As of Jan. 01 of the year following the separation (not divorce) both spouses will have to change to ...
Inheritance7/10/2009
  Q: Does a German inheritance certificate override a testament? What if the inheritance certificate ...
  A: No it does not. On the grounds of a different interpretation of the testament an inheritor can ...
Discrimination. Denied med. treatment by 2 clinics based on nationality.7/10/2009
  Q: My question is: Is it legal in Germany to deny a medical treatment (or a med.consultation) based on ...
  A: The doctors´ fear of being ruinde by the notorious U.S. jurisprudence in medical malpractice issues ...
Lean on Ground Book7/9/2009
  Q: I have a house in Germany that a lean was put on the “Ground Book” in 2005. This lean was due to a ...
  A: You will have to sue the credito for approval to cancel the lien. The German court of the district ...
Do you think this man did the right thing Yes or No?7/2/2009
  Q: Do you think this man did the right thing Yes or No? A Spanish Citizen, Maria Jose Carrascosa ...
  A: It is an extremely sad story. I have not heard of the case before. Neither do I speak Spanish in ...
Is this Correct Yes or No7/2/2009
  Q: I have been told that Germany is considered a notorious International child kidnapping friendly ...
  A: Around 10 years ago, Germany was pilloried because of the lax enforcement of international ...
Debt collection - Accident in South africa6/29/2009
  Q: A lady on holiday from Germany has rear-ended me with a car rental vehicle, in traffic (in SA). She ...
  A: I cannot believe this. It is worldwide standard and obligation for car renting companies to provide ...
Email ownership6/25/2009
  Q: My company is a US owned company with offices in EU particularly Germany. The German office is ...
  A: Center of the discussion is not the company property right of the e-mail accounts but intrest ...
Costody over a child with down syndrome6/19/2009
  Q: my name is Daisy i have a cousin with down syndrome. My aunt recently receive a letter stating that ...
  A: If an individual becomes 18 years old the entitlement of the parents to represent the former minor ...
german wills6/16/2009
  Q: I have a question about Wills in Germany. In January of 1985, my grandmother passed away. She left ...
  A: You can direct your inquiry to the court which is locally competent for the city where your ...
Vertragsrecht6/15/2009
  Q: Mein Vater hat mir 1995 im Rahmen der vorgezogenen Erbfolge Immobilienbesitz in Muenchen mit ...
  A: Ihr Vater wird die Zahlungen einstellen, sobald er den Vertrag rückgängig macht. Dies ist eine ...
divorce law6/15/2009
  Q: I am an American married to a German citizen. Our house in Florida is in my husband's name. His ...
  A: If the income of your husband changes he is well advised to file a petition to modify the judgement ...
dual taxation!6/11/2009
  Q: can you help me please? my local inland revenue office seem to know nothing, and don't even seem to ...
  A: As you keep the center of your life interests in Britain you would be assumed a resident there, Art. ...
PARENT SUPPORT6/9/2009
  Q: I am citizen of Canada and resident of Switzerland. My father immigrated to Germany in 2003 and in ...
  A: The Introductory Act of the German Civil Code stipulates the German international private law. Any ...
Testament / Will -6/8/2009
  Q: Last year my husband and I made a joint Will with a Notary. The provision was everything went to the ...
  A: The will should be valid. Your child is nonetheless entitled a compulsory share. You only have to ...
divorse5/13/2009
  Q: I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina and my wife is from Serbia but we live in Germany. We are married ...
  A: The gains accumulated during the marriage by both spouses would be shared between them. If for ...
Debt collection5/12/2009
  Q: Good day. I am an attorney in South Africa. I work at a company that provides an employee wellness ...
  A: It depends what kind of debts she has incurred. In principal, the creditor would have to sue her. ...
German Contract Law - Limitations of Action5/4/2009
  Q: We entered into an Agreement to Purchase 60,000 roses for self-propagation. The Agreement was dated ...
  A: It is three years as of the end of the year when the claim arised. However, the expiration of the ...
GERMAN MARRIAGE4/29/2009
  Q: I WAS BORN IN GERMANY AND MARRIED AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND GOT MY AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP MANY YEARS ...
  A: You could participate in the German Compulsory Health Insurance if your wife is compulsorily ...
Court Proceedngs in Germany4/26/2009
  Q: In a court of law in the USA, a witness has to take an oath on the Bible before testifying. How does ...
  A: In Germany, you can be put under oath as a witness, too. However, the procedure rules do not attach ...
Final Income Tax for Estate Processing4/23/2009
  Q: I am to receive an inheritance from Germany probably next month. The death occurred back in 2007. ...
  A: The value of the estate serves as a basis for the calculation of the inheritance raxes. Unpaid ...
adopting from Germany4/21/2009
  Q: Me and my husband are wanting to adopt a baby from Germany. He is currently in the military and ...
  A: I would recommend that you get in touch with the child welfare office, division for adoption ...
late father in germany children in australia4/15/2009
  Q: My father returned to germany in 1971 got divorced from our mother in australia around that time.He ...
  A: Provided that your father had not testated otherwise you would be his sole inheritors. You ought to ...
living in UK working in Germany4/14/2009
  Q: I live in the UK and have been offered approx 12 days of teaching work, spead over 3 months, in a ...
  A: According to Art. XIII of the German-British Double Taxation Agreement there is be an income ...
Inheritance blocking4/11/2009
  A: Please note that I would have to read your prenuptial agreement in order to give you a thorough ...
US Expatriate with Debt in Germany4/7/2009
  Q: I lived in Germany for two years working as an expat when my contract was cancelled due to the ...
  A: The legal means which the Sparkasse could take agaisnt you depends on the agreements which you had ...
German inheritance4/3/2009
  Q: What are my tax liabilities if any both in Germany and the UK for selling a house that I have ...
  A: The tax burden depends on where you and the decedent lived at the time of his death, what sort of ...
Land Registry entries4/2/2009
  Q: Is it possible to obtain details and history of a property from the Land Registry (Grundbuch)? If ...
  A: You must apply for an extract from the register (Grundbuchauszug). Although this is a public ...
how many tiem you pay tax as a single man and a couple in Germany?3/30/2009
  Q: As stated a question on the topic, wondering the time of tax payment in Germany? do Germans pay ...
  A: If both partners earn about the same the advantage of being married is limited apart from the higher ...
children3/27/2009
  Q: How do the courts in Germany address runaway minors? What legal issues, if any, are in place that ...
  A: The family court is competent to order a separation of the child from the family only as a measure ...
family law3/26/2009
  Q: I plan to marry a German man in August. I am English. If we drew up a prenup(as my partner wishes ...
  A: In Germany, we have the so called Düsseldorfer Tabelle for the assessment of the child support. The ...
German citizenship3/12/2009
  Q: Good day I was born to a german father and a south african mother in 1968.They got married two years ...
  A: I would like to refer you to the German Embassy with your question. Until 30th of June 1998 it was ...
Inheritance law - UK, France and Germany3/6/2009
  Q: I am a British citizen married to a French citizen living and working in Germany. We have bought a ...
  A: From the viewpoit today presumably German inheritance law would be predominant in your case because ...
NO will3/3/2009
  Q: My wife is German and we live in the United States. She still has her German Citizenship. Her ...
  A: I would advise you that your wife and her brother revoke the granted power-of-attorney at the banks ...
divorce and pregnant2/27/2009
  Q: I have been separated for 3 years from my (ex) husband who now lives in England. I am getting a ...
  A: This is correct. However, if the child would be born in wedlock your partner could declare his ...
inheritance laws dual citizenship parents2/23/2009
  Q: Haarhaus...I'm the American wife of a US soldier in Germany. My dad was a US soldier who married ...
  A: You can get in touch with the bank because your brother is co-owner of an account which at least ...
Child Support Questions2/18/2009
  Q: I am a US citizen living in the U.S. , my ex-wife a German citizen and my daughter a U.S. Citizen ...
  A: Please note that I cannot give you fullscale and costfree legal advice. Here are some basic ...
Tax Class during seperation2/17/2009
  Q: I am a non-EU citizen married with a German and after completing 3years i got my permanent ...
  A: In the calendar year you separated everything stays as it is. The following year the assessment ...
German Baby Mama Gone Bananas2/12/2009
  Q: In 2006, a German national gave birth to an American man's child, however, kept the father's name ...
  A: Unless he has accepted his paternity (such acceptance must be officially recorded) and unless the ...
German Tax Beauraucracy2/3/2009
  Q: I am a British Citizen recently returned to England after several years working self employed in ...
  A: I understood that you still have to file tax returns for the last year or so and that you cannot get ...
Last Will and Testament1/30/2009
  Q: My uncle left a handwritten testament signed by him and his spouse without notarization. Uncle died ...
  A: Although he was disinherited in your uncle´s will his son is entitled a compulsory share. This is ...
Vorfaelligkeitsentschaedigung fuer US Army-Angehoerige bei Umzug von D nach USA?1/21/2009
  Q: Mein Mann (US Army) und ich haben 2004 eine Wohnung in Heidelberg gekauft. Im Mai 2008 bekamen wir ...
  A: Eine derartige Regelung gibt es meines Erachtens nicht. Möglicherweise hätte die Bank aber einen ...
Inheritance: In-Testate Succession: Non-biological Child1/17/2009
  Q: In German Law, can a non-biological child, birthed after wedlock, inherit 100% of the deceased ...
  A: I understand that the child was born during a marriage but that one parent had not been one of the ...
Inheritance and debts1/16/2009
  Q: My cousin died in Italy recently. He owned a property in Tuscany and had total debts of 150000Euros. ...
  A: It does not matter if you even knew your cousin or your aunt. According to German law due to the ...
Inheritance issues - German husband, American wife1/14/2009
  Q: Inheritance issues are to be considered now that my husband may possibly not survive his cancer ...
  A: Usually the will which was written at a later date prevails over earlier wills. The nationality as ...
German estate law 1869.1/11/2009
  Q: My great grandfather took his wife's maiden name after she died in Germany in 1869. I have been told ...
  A: Please note that these are only speculations because at the time Germany had not existed at that ...
Inheritance12/17/2008
  Q: Alright, my problem is that my grandmother who had both German and U.S citizenship died a couple ...
  A: I understood that the daughters received their share after their father (first husband) passed away. ...
Inheritance, Tax andLand Registry12/16/2008
  Q: Sehr geehrte Hr Haarhaus. I have 3 questions. Brief history: I am an Irish citizen. I married a ...
  A: 1. Yes, he must file a tax return as long as the business exists. However, in Germany we have the ...
German Inheritance Law12/11/2008
  Q: My German aunt, who lived in Singen, Germany passed away and my mother was notified of her ...
  A: As the decedent lived in Germany and as the estate is located here German law is applicable to the ...
I need your advice12/8/2008
  Q: I am PhD student(Promotion) in Göttingen. I asked Jugendamt to help me for my daughter for ...
  A: The regulations regarding the Kindergeld are the same anywhere in germany. Other benefits may vary ...
Inheritance tax upon death of German Permanent U.S. resident12/3/2008
  Q: Harthaus: My spouse and I are German permanent residents in the U.S. We have a son who is both ...
  A: In principle, the nationality of a person does not have any effect on the tax situation in Germany. ...
Stapelfahrer ohne Fuehrerschein11/30/2008
  Q: I'm a Canadian citizen living in Germany. My residence permit is good until next year and allows me ...
  A: It is not true that a normal driving license would be sufficient to to drive a forklift (the German ...
Inheritance11/27/2008
  Q: I live in the U.S., but my family originated from Germany. My birth name is Jenny Redweik. My ...
  A: In Germany, there is no such thing like a probate proceeding meaning that the estate is ...
Holiday entitlement11/26/2008
  Q: I have just three vacation days left in zhis year. The company I work for is in difficulty at the ...
  A: In my opinion, it is not possible to use your holidays for 2009 in advance. There is also no right ...
living in UK paying tax in germany11/24/2008
  Q: I have been living in the UK for over ten years now, I came over for educational reasons (finalised ...
  A: As a German lawyer, I am not able to give you any advice on the provisions of the national income ...
Inheritance tax11/19/2008
  Q: I'm a German citizen with an Australian permanent residency.I inherited money and property in ...
  A: The question whether the Luxembourg account is taxable in Germany depends on if the decedent lived ...
inheritance11/18/2008
  Q: I would like to know if I have any claim to my father's estate when he dies. I was born out of wed ...
  A: Well, ist the Civil Registry of Meerbusch (Standesamt Meerbusch. Adresse: Alter Kirchweg 57 40667 ...
German Inheritance TO parents11/18/2008
  Q: My German girlfriend, currently resident in Spain, was recently divorced from her Belgian husband, ...
  A: Yes. As an alternative her parents could waive their compulsory share at a German notary. In this ...
US Citizen paying German Taxes11/12/2008
  Q: I am an employee of the US government and my husband works for a contractor on the local U.S. Army ...
  A: If your husband is obliged to contribute to the German soacial security system he should be entitled ...
Caution deposit from House Owner11/11/2008
  Q: I moved from a rented house in April and the house owner told me that he will gvie back my caution ...
  A: The landlord is entitled to hold back an amount which will forseeably cover the residual costs for ...
employment and taxation11/5/2008
  Q: I am currently negotiating an employment contract with a small start-up company registered in ...
  A: In fact I do not know what they mean by using such term in English . If you named me the term in ...
inheritence11/4/2008
  Q: i am a german citizen and an indian by birth.i want to make my will.i want to give my house and bank ...
  A: In Germany, there is no probate proceeding. There is no court appointed administrator managing the ...
Marriage Rights & Concerning Desertion11/2/2008
  Q: I have been married to a German man since December 1995. In 1999 we immigrated to the USA where he ...
  A: Maybe you ought to contact an English speaking lawyer in the town where you live in. As a divorce ...
Flat renting10/31/2008
  Q: I've heard of a German law which states that when you rent an appartment in Germany, someone can ...
  A: No, the maximum period is six weeks for visitors and it must not be an enduring stay. Near family ...
inheritance10/28/2008
  Q: I would like to ask you about inheritance.Which left me as my next of kin died. But it is very ...
  A: In Germany, the inheritors can be held liable for debts of the decedants. If the liabilities exceed ...
inheritance taxes10/25/2008
  Q: My wifes German aunt died this yearleaving a bank account to the sister her husband and 5 children ...
  A: The answer depends on how the content of the will has to be interpretated, in otherwords - how your ...
Inheritance in Germany10/23/2008
  Q: I have just inherited some money from a relative in Germany, who was German and resided there as ...
  A: You are liable to German and Denish inheritance taxes. However, according to Art. 26 of the ...
income-tax law10/22/2008
  Q: i am looking for the germann incom tax law - translate to english and the original german law. i ...
  A: § 370 f. Abgabenordnung (AO - German Tax Code) General Rule: Fine or imprisonment up to five years ...
notarised declaration of liabilities10/22/2008
  Q: we had our office at germany till 1999 and one party became dafaulted. that owes us USD 962000. the ...
  A: I would have to review it. In principle, abstract liability declarations are enforcable without the ...
German marriage - divorce in UK or Germany?10/13/2008
  Q: I´m British married in Germany to a German. I wish divorce husband and return home to the UK with ...
  A: In a German court proceeding, the increase in value would be subject of debate because the gains ...
Rent/Immigration10/12/2008
  Q: my husband and i have our flat rented out in Germany, but we live in the US. We rented it to my ...
  A: You have nothing to do with the immigration affairs of your tenants. If you cannot get hold of the ...
German Inheritance Tax Law Duty of Disclosure10/12/2008
  Q: For a beneficiary, what is exactly is "Duty of Disclosure" that has to be done 3 months after the ...
  A: Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You will have to inforn the tax office within three months ...
Issue of residency by marriage10/3/2008
  Q: My brother is a Nigerian married to a German in 2004. He joined his wife from Nigeria in 2005, but ...
  A: You did not inform me about of the class of residence permit your brother had in the past and has ...
Defacto relationships10/3/2008
  Q: I have assets in Germany but I live in Australia and have a de facto partner and we are about to ...
  A: In principle, the agreements should be recognized in Germany unless they do not violate the public ...
Recovering money from a German scammer9/30/2008
  Q: I am in Australia and would like to recover USD $1895 from a German citizen who sold me a vase but ...
  A: In Germany lawyers charge their fees on the grounds of the scales and regulations as stipulated in ...
Certificate Of No Marriage9/29/2008
  Q: How to go about getting a CENOMAR for a German National in Hong Kong? Hope to hear from you soon! ...
  A: You ought to send an inquiry for the issuance of an Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis to the Civil Registry ...
Parental Financial Responsibility9/28/2008
  Q: My wife, formerly a German citizen (now U. S.)is concerned that she may become liable for her ...
  A: In principle, the government is able to claim money from the children which it has advanced before ...
last will and testament of father9/27/2008
  Q: My son´s father has died recently and left his son a lot of debts, such as a leasing car, bank debts ...
  A: In order to get rid of the debts your son must declare a waiver regarding his inheritance at the ...
applying for my german passport9/26/2008
  Q: My father was born in Germany in 1944. He left Germany in 1969. i was born in South Africa in 1971. ...
  A: Unfortunately you did not give any information on your fathers nationality at the time when you were ...
TESA & German Taxes9/23/2008
  Q: I am a contractor working with the US military and fall under the SOFA agreement and have also been ...
  A: As a citizen of a nation which is a EU member she is entitled for Kindergeld. She only would only be ...
Tax & Insurance issues9/23/2008
  Q: I will start with a brief synopsis of the situation, and then pose my questions. I am a U.S. ...
  A: The German-American Double Taxation Agreement refers the exclusive right to tax retirement pensions ...
AUSTRIAN ERBSCHEIN9/5/2008
  Q: My father, an Austrian by birth, passed away in May. He was getting a pension (war reparations) from ...
  A: There is no such thing as an international certificate of inheritance which would be recogized all ...
Inheritance tax7/31/2008
  Q: My parents passed away (living in Germany)and left their house to my brother, my sister (both ...
  A: Please note that any succession must be announced to the German fiscal office within three months. ...
German Inheritance7/30/2008
  Q: 14 yrs ago my passed away.(She was German)2 of her relatives passed on later,leaving inheritance. My ...
  A: Unfortunately; I did not understand your issue. Are you called to succession or not? - If you are ...
Real Estate Transfer and Sales7/22/2008
  Q: My sisters and I are looking to transfer ownership of property in German from our father. Does this ...
  A: Tranfers of real property are subject to a notarial recording in Germany. However, there are ways ...
unclaimed inheritance7/18/2008
  Q: A German citizen lived in Tanzania during World War2 Hitler's government confiscated his assets ...
  A: I suppose that the goldmeine and the farms were located in East Germany (for assets located in ...
German family law7/17/2008
  Q: My name is Tor Holst and I am a swedish law student undertaking an investigation on behalf of a ...
  A: From the legal perspective a child born out of wedlock is deemed to have no father unless the man ...
German Conscript Requirement7/17/2008
  Q: Sir, Once the Bundesweir has sent "notification" to a young teenage male he will serve in a ...
  A: Firstly, the German army is called Bundeswehr and not Bundesweir. The teenage has still the right ...
dual citizenship7/13/2008
  Q: My mother was born in Endersdorf, Czechoslovakia prior to World War II. Her family was moved to ...
  A: I would think that you still have the German citizenship because your mother was a German at the ...
German citizenship7/13/2008
  Q: My grandmother was born in Germany and left in the late 1920s when she was very young. My mother is ...
  A: The answer to your question depends on whether your grandmother took over the American citizenship ...
Inheritance Law in Germany7/11/2008
  Q: My neighbor is a German citizen who's husband died 3 years ago.In his will he named her as the first ...
  A: You did not tell me whther the deceased was a German national and where he had his last domicile. ...
Elterngald received7/11/2008
  Q: How can you check whether a child of yours of german nationality has received Elterngald on the last ...
  A: The easiest way would be to set an inquiry to the competent offices. They may vary from state to ...
Inheritance Law7/10/2008
  Q: My husband and I have lived in Germany for 2 years. We have purchased a house here. At the moment we ...
  A: In principle, there is no way to evade the rules of compulsory portion - in spite of purchasing land ...
question about dual citizenship for US adoptees from Germany7/9/2008
  Q: Moser, I am neither a US nor a German citizen (actually I am French and born in Korea), but I am ...
  A: Annyonghaseo Ms. Cransac, as the Secretary General of the German-Korean Lawyers Association I would ...
Father's inheritance7/8/2008
  Q: Late last year, my father, who had been living in Germany since 1966, passed away. My sister and I ...
  A: I suppose that German inheritance law would apply because American international law (I assume that ...
Obligation in respect of a partners Debt7/8/2008
  Q: My partner (who is German) has a student loan that originated in Germany can am I liable in respect ...
  A: It depends to the matrimonial regime applicable to your marriage. This depends on the jurisdiction ...
Property in Germany7/1/2008
  Q: My mother passed away this past year. 3 years ago she was left some real estate in Germany by her ...
  A: There is no probate proceeding in Germany and no distribution by the trustee. I assume that your ...
home insurance policy6/28/2008
  Q: my husband, a German citizen and living in US, owns two apartments in Germany. He took out and paid ...
  A: One would need to know the reason for the reclaim of the insurance amount. Please note that in ...
Parents work in germany, children study in Morocco6/27/2008
  Q: My husband and I are Moroccan citizens. We both have been working with a german company. We have now ...
  A: The Federal Fiscal Court has ruled that a child whoses parents have a foreign nationality returning ...
American Soldier German Spouse6/27/2008
  Q: I am an American Soldier married to a German citizen. I work for the U.S. Army and husband works ...
  A: You would be exempted from filing returns regarding German income taxes only if the military ...
divorce and testament6/24/2008
  Q: while married I loaned my life savings to my German father in Law so he could buy some land from the ...
  A: it took me about 15 minutes to formulate the answer to your inquiry. Law is a complex matter and I ...
Service an American Divorce in Germany6/23/2008
  Q: I have a Wisconsin Divorce that needs to be served on the wife in Germany as she recently relocated ...
  A: If you do not give me the proper name of the German state your ex-spouse lives in I am not able to ...
German-South African Dual citizenship6/22/2008
  Q: I was born in South African to a South African mum and a German dad, and I would like to know if I ...
  A: You have obtained the German citizenship by birth. German law does not require you to give up your ...
German Laws regarding deceased family memebers with debt6/21/2008
  Q: Good Morning, My mom received a letter in the mail stating that a cousin of her's had died and owed ...
  A: I think it is the same everywhere in the world: Succession means stepping into the shoes of another. ...
tax,inheritance and financial6/18/2008
  Q: I am a British subject wishing to domicile in Germany. I have a house in the UK (mother and I will ...
  A: As you asked your inquiry in a very general way unfortunately I cannot give you any specific advice ...
Divorce in Indiana - real estate inherited in Germany6/17/2008
  Q: I am a German citizen, married to a US citizen and have my permanent residence in Indianapolis, IN ...
  A: I saw your question in the question pool and take the liberty of answering you. The applicable ...
Hausmeister6/15/2008
  Q: Sehr geehrte Hr.Haarhaus, von Nationalitaet her bin ich Inder. Seit gut 7 Monaten bin ich in ...
  A: Your landlord is obliged to heat even in the summer time if the temperature in the rented place ...
Inheritance6/14/2008
  Q: I'm a US citizen and will inherit a house in Munich from my uncle. I will be the only inheritant. ...
  A: As I do not know anything about the value of the house I cannot give an answer regarding your ...
dual citizenship stemming from grandparents6/12/2008
  Q: My father's parents immigrated from Germany. My father was born in Oregon. I understand he could ...
  A: Your or your father´s place of birth would be irrelevant for that question. According to § 4 of ...
Language School Contract6/11/2008
  Q: I am an American living in Germany until October of 2008. My question regards a contract I signed ...
  A: the contract cannot be terminated on the grounds that your name was spelled in a wrong way. It is ...
estate transfers from america to germany6/3/2008
  Q: I have an estate worth 5.2 million dollars and want to understand what the implications are for ...
  A: We have an inheritance and gift taxation in Germany. Both taxes are regulated in the Inheritance ...
residence visa in germany6/3/2008
  Q: how can i get residencde in Germany. iam pakistani .49 nyearsold. MBA. 20 years administrative and ...
  A: It is not easy even for qualified people to abtain a residence permit allowing to take an ...
kindergeld6/1/2008
  Q: I'm a romanian citizen, I work and live in Germany and my family is in Belgium (wife - tax free ...
  A: If you are fully liable to German income taxes (i.e. if you have your settled abode or usual place ...
Landgericht5/24/2008
  Q: A German businessman has got an interim injunction against me at district court in Hamburg regarding ...
  A: The kind of the legal remedy which you might take depends on whether a court hearing has already ...
child support5/22/2008
  Q: I live in North Carolina and have a child not receiving child support. His father is a British ...
  A: Unless are you able to seize his salary the father´s employer is not involved in the case and it is ...
information about visitor5/21/2008
  Q: hey, here is farwa I am German National but basically belongs to Pakistan. I have one question for ...
  A: I do not know if the person you wish to invite is a family member, a friend of yours or a stranger. ...
German child support5/18/2008
  Q: I wrote to you a few weeks ago about what is the age limit for a child to receive support from a ...
  A: The question of how far reaching such change would be depends on the income of both parents. As the ...
Citizenship through sibling5/15/2008
  Q: Is a person able to acquire German Citizenship through a brother or sister? Thanks ANSWER: Not in ...
  A: I can understand neither your demanding attitude nor your weird rating. You got a clear answer to ...
Kindergeld5/6/2008
  Q: I'm a foreigner, working as a research assistant at one University in Niedersachsen Bundesland in ...
  A: The entitlement does not depend on the nationality. Citizens of European countries are also entitled ...
Looking For My Brother4/21/2008
  Q: I have a half Brother In Germany... Im not sure Where tho. I have all of our fathers information. My ...
  A: If you want to find out about your half brother you need to find the mother first. However, you ...
Decedent's debts4/16/2008
  Q: I am an attorney and I had a consultation with a client and told them I could not help them because ...
  A: the debtors of the decedent can collect the debts from the inheritors because the succession took ...
dual citiizenship in the USA4/15/2008
  Q: ich moechte die amerikanische Staatsbuergerschaft erwerben und lebe schon lange in Amerika - moechte ...
  A: Normalerweise muss man beim Erwerb einer ausländsichen Staatsangehörigkeit die deutsche ...
Inheritance and company shares advice4/14/2008
  Q: My Father recently passed away. As he was a German citizen domiciled in Germany I believe that all ...
  A: You did not mention how the business is organized legally. If it has a corporate structure - like a ...
Working Law - hour amounts4/11/2008
  Q: I'm looking for information on the maximum hours that can be worked by an employee per week as ...
  A: I assume that your amount of weekly working hours has been set either in your labour contract or in ...
German Inheritance4/6/2008
  Q: My Grandmother passed away in 2004. Her will left 25% to each of her 2 sons. The remaining 50% was ...
  A: I understood that you asked two questions: 1. I understand that the son embezzeled the money. A ...
Inheritance4/4/2008
  Q: Me and my family have a very good friend in Germany ,he is 75 and wishes to leave us his house.The ...
  A: The nephews are not entitled a compulsory share if they are disinherited. If they can contest the ...
Inheritance tax on UK citizens resident in Germany4/4/2008
  Q: I would like to know whether a UK citizen, resident in Germany and owning property in Germany, is ...
  A: If either the decedant resided orthe inheritor resides in Germany at the time of his death all his ...
child support4/3/2008
  Q: what is the age and exceptions for a child to become when the child support is ended and the ...
  A: I assume that the child lives in germany and thus German law applies. A full aged kid may claim ...
uncles will4/2/2008
  Q: My aunt @ uncle lived in germany, My uncle died in 04, my aunt in 07. I recived a copy of the will ...
  A: Batchelor, The first thing is to review the wills regarding the two successions. My question would ...
My mother-in-law's estate3/30/2008
  Q: My mother-in-law passed away at the beginning of the month and was a resident of Dierdorf Germany. ...
  A: The first thing for your husband to do would be to have the will delivered to the local competent ...
German citizen / Canadian citizen; Barbados marriage3/30/2008
  Q: The husband is a German citizen, the wife is a Canadian citizen. They met online and flew to ...
  A: I can only answer the question from a German point of view. A wedding which took place abroad ...
inherit3/27/2008
  Q: I have been separated for over 2 years now but not divorced and his mother has just died, that means ...
  A: Fist, you should look if there is a will favoring you or your children. If not, according to the ...
inheritance3/26/2008
  Q: First of all thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question. In the following case: ...
  A: The most important thing for you to find out is whether your uncle wrote a will. For this reason I ...
Earned Income Tax3/25/2008
  Q: I am working for the U.S. based company. They're transferring me to Berlin to work there for at ...
  A: The social contribution costs have nothing to do with the question if you are subject to German or ...
german bank3/24/2008
  Q: I lived and worked in Germany and borrowed some money from German bank with interest. When I left ...
  A: The bank can sue you for repayment and apply for an acknowledgement of a German judgement in the ...
inheritance US mother--I live in Germany3/24/2008
  Q: My mother died in Jan.2007--in Minnesota US. I am a US citizen, 35 years German resident. What forms ...
  A: Apart from the national laws there are Double Taxation Agreement between the U.S. and Germany ...
Child support3/19/2008
  Q: I am a friend to a woman who has a 17 year old child. They live in Germany. The father of the child ...
  A: As I said she should get in touch with the local competent German Jugendamt first (child welfare ...
Inheritance3/18/2008
  Q: My question is similar to the couple who contacted you regarding inherited debt. My mother, a ...
  A: Yes you are bound by German law. As you seem to live abroad the period during which you would have ...
Can I stay?3/14/2008
  Q: I am a Canadian (4 generations and 0% German). I am currently living in Hessen together with my ...
  A: If you do not intend to marry your status will depend on the reason why you want to stay in Germany: ...
Divorce in UK after marriage in Germany3/11/2008
  Q: My partner has been separated from his German wife for 16 months. Both he and his estranged wife ...
  A: I do not know about UK law, but only German law. We do not have such thing like an approval of ...
Enforcability of German civil court decisions in U.S.3/11/2008
  Q: Mr. Haarhaus, can a German Landsgericht enforce a civil judgement against a U.S. citizen in the ...
  A: It is possible for someone who won a lawsuit in Germany to try an enforcement in the U.S.. In order ...
Visitation2/27/2008
  Q: I am a US Soldier I have a son with a German women, and we are not married. what are the steps for ...
  A: At first, the parents should try to find a settlement regarding the visitation themselves. As you ...
child support2/26/2008
  Q: My cousin has recently been contacted by an 11 year old german girl from berlin who it seems is ...
  A: Unless your cousin has accepted his fatherhood or there is no positive decalaratory judgement he is ...
Inheritance tax2/13/2008
  Q: My 2 sisters and I inherited a 50% interest in a house in Potsdam. The house has been sold for ...
  A: As the real estate is located in Germany your inheritance is subject to German inheritance tax. You ...
Alimony2/12/2008
  Q: We were married in 1999, separated in 2000 and finally divorced in 2004. Our child is now 7 years ...
  A: There are scales regarding spousal support which are newly published every several years ...
dishonest client2/6/2008
  Q: I am in Australia and asked a question with Andeas Moser. He promptly answered and we both agreed ...
  A: local bar association: Rechtsanwaltskammer Nürnberg, Fürther Str. 115, 90429 Nürnberg public ...
US soldier and german court ordered child support2/4/2008
  Q: "I was stationed in Germany in 1988-1990. When I arrived at my next duty station in Kansas, I was ...
  A: An obligation to pay support only arises for parents. You are a parent if you either acknowleged ...
kindergeld2/3/2008
  Q: I am an American working in Germany as an ordinary resident. I pay german taxes, but not social tax ...
  A: What´s this? - I have exactly answered your question. Instead of giving a follow-up you give me a ...
Easiest/cheapest Germany property disposition2/1/2008
  Q: My mother is German and lives in Germany. My sister and I are US citizens and living in the US. My ...
  A: As you already might have heard there is a reform pending regarding the inheritance and donation. ...
tax and business bills2/1/2008
  Q: i am self employed and in 2001 after 9/11 my career went bad,i got sacked by text on holiday and ...
  A: In general, one is only liable to criminal prosecution regarding tax issues if he/ she does not file ...
Pay tax as a single German Man, while paying alimony and child support for first marriage1/30/2008
  Q: (I asked this question just before, here is to clarify our citizenships). Dear Mr. Haarhaus, It ...
  A: I cannot forsee how long your case will take because this depends on the practice of the court and ...
US Citizens Obliged to Pay German Inheritance Tax1/29/2008
  Q: My brother and I are U.S. citizens. We are heirs to an aunt who recently passed away in Germany and ...
  A: Yes, you will be liable to German inheritance taxes because the decendent lived in Germany. If you ...
Inheritance of real estate1/28/2008
  Q: My brother and I inherited a building in the former East Berlin. We are US citizens and our Mother ...
  A: Art. 5 para. 1 of the U.S.-German Inheritance Tax Double Taxation Agreement provides that the ...
inheritance laws1/26/2008
  Q: Can you please help me? My oncle died in november,he left a hand written will with a notary leaving ...
  A: You should get in touch with the local competent probate court which is the Amtsgericht of the ...
Father's upkeep and debts1/26/2008
  Q: My parents were both born in Yugoslavia and fled to Germany shortly after WWII. They became German ...
  A: In principle, in Germany children are obliged to support their parents unless they are able to cover ...
Spousal Support1/23/2008
  Q: I am a US servicemember, I was married to a German National for a number of years, we were divorced ...
  A: As I do not know what SOFA should be I cannot answer your question in this regard. In general, you ...
child from previous marraige1/18/2008
  Q: my german grandfather and grandmother divorced and he remarried they no contact since , i have ...
  A: As she has been divorced from your grandfather your grandmother would not be entitled a share to the ...
working holidays1/11/2008
  Q: How many days holidays are i´m entitled to at the age of 49
  A: The statutary minimum amount of holidays for everyone as regulated in the Federal Holiday Act ...
Alimony and Child Support1/7/2008
  Q: I Am an american GI in Germany and after over 3 years, my German wife and I are seprating. She went ...
  A: You will have to pay support for your children irrespective of the wages of your wife/ ex-wife. The ...
Inheritance Law Germany1/7/2008
  Q: I really appreciate your time on this. Happy New Year 2008. Now, here goes our problem My french ...
  A: Please note: You should check if your wife´s father had the double citizenship and if he had closer ...
inheritance1/6/2008
  Q: I live in Ireland and jointly own a property in Berlin,we have two children who we want to inherit ...
  A: You will almost certainly need a separate will because according to the common law jurisdictions to ...
inheritance1/5/2008
  Q: My german mother who is deceased inherited money from her aunt who was a german also. I was ...
  A: I assume that your issue is about receiving a certificate of inheritance (Erbschein) at the probate ...
Re: Employment Wages1/3/2008
  Q: I am a US citizen residing in Dallas Texas but I am employed by a German company called Premium ...
  A: After trying the Munich fax number unsuccessfully I contacted the German directory enquiries. I am ...
Seperation/Child Support1/3/2008
  Q: I am an American Soldier married to a German. We have been married only 14 months and we also have a ...
  A: 1. The support for your son depends on your income and on his age. The computation of the income ...
Inheritance from Germany12/14/2007
  Q: I live in the United States, and have recently become a U.S. Citizen. However, my father lives in ...
  A: In Germany there is no probate like in the U.S.. The local court will report your father´s death to ...
parents' debts12/11/2007
  Q: In Germany are children responsible for the debts of their recently deceased parents? ANSWER: Only ...
  A: If you are not called to succession by a will you would not be obliged to settle the debts. Anything ...
German inheritance when living in UK12/11/2007
  Q: My mother, originally German but now a British citizen, is about to purchase a property and move to ...
  A: I assume that your mother has not lived in Germany in the last 5 years. Should your mother move to ...
Estate in Koblenz What German Laws Does District Court Use for Inheritance12/11/2007
  Q: After reading the German Civil Code, all 5 Books, where is the procedures (laws supporting the code) ...
  A: In Germany there is no such thing like an American style probate involving the administration by a ...
Divorce12/6/2007
  Q: I am Indian and working in Germany just from November. I bring my Indian Husband here few days ...
  A: You can file for a divorce if both of you have a habitual residence here. Both of you must have ...
is my marriage Legal12/4/2007
  Q: My husband was married to a german citizen when he was on a tour of service in germany. They were ...
  A: In principle, the court fees are shared between the parties equally and apart from an advance ...
laws12/3/2007
  Q: my sister in germany is married to indian there who is abusive ,she is in rehab as she has ...
  A: Your sister can file for a divorce at the German family court. In principal, she will have to live ...
Visitation and Child Support12/3/2007
  Q: I am an American soldier in the state. My son's mother is german we where never married, I have ...
  A: Yes, they do. I do not know if the question of the dual citizenship relies on the location where ...
Collecting Debt12/1/2007
  Q: I am a Canadian resident who lent $10,000 Euros to a German girlfriend for the purchase of a car. A ...
  A: debts are there to be paid. She also owes you interests. However, I would not recommend you to take ...
fathers name on german birth certificate11/30/2007
  Q: i'm a british citizen living in the uk.my german ex girlfriend was studying in the uk..she fell ...
  A: You can go to the German general counsulate and have your declaration regarding the acceptance ...
Inheritance of inheritance rights11/29/2007
  Q: Sehr geehrter Herr Haarhaus, Let's switch to English. My husband lived in North America for many ...
  A: I am happy to be a your service. In regard to the tax situation please note that the German tax ...
children11/29/2007
  Q: ok so I am american and I got married to a german woman and she got pregnant and said it was my kid ...
  A: You can challange your paternity at the family court which is competent for the district where the ...
Legal Age for Child To decide where he lives11/27/2007
  Q: Please could you help me answer this question for my partner's son. He is 9 and desperately wants to ...
  A: The right of child custody and thus the right to determine its residence ends if the child attains ...
Confused11/26/2007
  Q: I'm a bit confused with my situation. I'm an American soldier living here with a German for almost 3 ...
  A: The question about the decision on the babie´s name depends on who the legal custody has. Should ...
My half German son11/25/2007
  Q: I just wanted to know if it was possible for my son's mother to have my sons name change from her ...
  A: The answer to your question depends on if both parents have the joint custody or if the mother has ...
Child Support After 18 years old11/23/2007
  Q: Am I required to pay Child Support after my son turns 18 years old and my child support order has ...
  A: As the kid lives in Germany German support law would apply. A full aged kid may claim support from ...
Ex wife in joint house with new man11/21/2007
  Q: my wife (German) and I (Australian) have been separated for 18 months (Married 9 years). The ...
  A: I cannot advise you here whether your support payments are too high. Your payment or non-payment ...
citizenship11/15/2007
  Q: hope you can help me I was born in Germany in 1972 from german father & german mother. Moved to ...
  A: when you were 16 you had already been capable of acting in regard to your citizenship on your own ...
germany postdoc TvÖD contract11/11/2007
  Q: I am willing to work as postdoctoral researcher in Germany. I am a bit confused with the contract ...
  A: I am not able to answer your questions straight away. If you would like me to check your questions I ...
Intestate Succession & Cohabitation11/9/2007
  Q: When a couple live together unmarried (or indeed a same sex couple without a ...
  A: Only a testamentary succession is recognized. There is no legal succession right because the partner ...
Assets11/8/2007
  Q: My significant other is a German citizen in the process of immigrating into Canada. He has assets ...
  A: it is not possible to seize assets neither in Germany nor abroad before the plaintiff initiates and ...
Inheritance11/7/2007
  Q: My uncle, a resident of Germany for 40 years, with British nationality recently passed away and left ...
  A: Due to your family relationship with the deceased the transfer would be taxed in Germany according ...
visitation10/30/2007
  Q: although we are not married and no DNA test have been undertaken and 90% sure i am the father can i ...
  A: If the child´s mother has agreed to your acceptance you have a visitation right. The first ...
inheritance10/26/2007
  Q: I'm sorry but this will be a long question. My grandmother lived in Giessen, Germany. She passed ...
  A: according to German law it is ideed the job of the heir to settle the inheritance. However, this ...
Will10/25/2007
  Q: my brother who lived in Germany has recently passed away , my other brothers and sisters are ...
  A: A will is valid according to german law if it is completely handwritten. You should report the ...
German Inheritance Law10/21/2007
  Q: I'm a US citizen, married to a German Citizen. We have lived in the US for 10 years. He has two ...
  A: according to German international inheritance law real estate in the US will not be covered by ...
Inheritance Tax Germany - US10/21/2007
  Q: Haarhaus: I am a German citizen living in as a permanent resident in the US and I would like to ...
  A: each country assesses the tax according its own regulations. The tax codes of a lot of countries ...
do i have to live in germany .........10/19/2007
  Q: my name is anie and i am 17 years old ma mother has been in Germany for10 years i have been living ...
  A: You can apply for the German natinality withot problem if one of your parents should be a German ...
Child Support10/4/2007
  Q: My son who lives in Germany with his mother will reach the age of majority (18) in December. His ...
  A: In principal you will have to pay further child support. However, the calculation of the support ...
Legal or not legal?10/1/2007
  Q: My current wife's first marriage was in Germany. She left her husband and came to the US with me. ...
  A: as you have married in the USA and live in the USA it is up American law to decide whether it was ...
inheritance law9/29/2007
  Q: My grandmother signed a contract of inheritance designating my cousins as sole heirs; later the same ...
  A: It is not possible for me to evaluate deeds and documents without having read them. In general, a ...
german will9/28/2007
  Q: my grandmother passed away in 1989 in Germany.She left a will and the legal heirs were my brother ...
  A: the statute of limitation in regard to the regular inheritance claim is thirty years. At first sight ...
divorce9/25/2007
  Q: I'm 33 year married in Germany and want to divorce. My three children are grown up and have own ...
  A: please note that the following comments cannot replace a legal consultancy in your individual case. ...
Transfer of house title9/20/2007
  Q: I am an American living in Germany with my German husband. We bought a house three years ago, but ...
  A: transfers of property are subject to donation tax or inheritance tax which are both regulated in the ...
child custody9/17/2007
  Q: My Ex Boyfriend and I have a 1 year old daughter together , but he has no child custody ... My ...
  A: as I am not an expert on the U.S. family law I can only tell you that the USA has signed the Hague ...
Inheritance Money and pay out Entitlement9/14/2007
  Q: My wife is German and we live in the United States in Columbus Georgia. My Mother-in-Law died in ...
  A: Noble, the share of your wife depends on various conditions. Is there a testament or not? Is the ...
child paternity9/10/2007
  Q: I´m a Portuguese young man wich had a relation (not being married), with a German girl(she lives in ...
  A: as you have not been married unfortunately German law grants the father no right for custody. ...
Child Support9/10/2007
  Q: I am deployed to Iraq. My ex-girlfriend was pregnant before I deployed. I signed the papers that ...
  A: you have two years to rescind your paternity at court as of you knew about the circumstances which ...
father living in turkey9/10/2007
  Q: sehr geehrter HR. Haarhaus Seit 1999 bin Ich von einen Türkischen staats angehörigen geschieden.Er ...
  A: Sehr geehrte Frau Baltaci, aufgrund internationaler Vereinbarungen zwischen Deutschland und der ...
inheritance tax for german citizen based in UK and parents in Germany9/6/2007
  Q: I am German and based in UK since 1991. My parents in Germany who are also German are exploring to ...
  A: according to the British Inheritance Tax Act a German national having his present domicile in ...
breach statutory duty8/15/2007
  Q: I have wanted to know if there is a tort in your law that is called breach a statutory duty? and ...
  A: there are so many regulation in civil, public and in criminal law which stipulate statutory duties ...
Paternity and support8/12/2007
  Q: I was seeing a girl long distance on the weekends. She was legally married to one guy and living ...
  A: as you say that your friend had been married at the time when you had a love affair with her the law ...
absent divorce8/6/2007
  Q: If Someone living in Germany wishes to divorce someone that has ran off with another person and 1. ...
  A: I understand that there are no children involved or that the children live with you. In both cases ...
obtaining dual citizenship7/30/2007
  Q: I have a friend who has a German passport, is a landed immigrant in Canada, and would like to know ...
  A: In principle, the German citizenship ceases to exists if a German obtains a passport of another ...
building on to a house7/26/2007
  Q: My wife owns a house in Germany,. The previous owner, her great grandfather, sold part of his ...
  A: according to § 903 of the German Civil Code principally any owner of a property can exclude others ...
debt collection7/18/2007
  Q: Mr. Haarhaus, If there is a money judgement against me in Germany can it be enforced against ...
  A: as long as you not have chosen the community of goods as your matrimonial property regime your wife ...
contested divorce7/16/2007
  Q: 2 u.s. citizens--1 is stationed in air-force in germany with 2 year old son, other in u.s. father in ...
  A: Dera Ted, if the German court considers itself internationally competent for a judgement in your ...
seperation agreement7/13/2007
  Q: my daughter who for the present resides in germany left her husband last may, along with her son, ...
  A: you did not ask a question in your inquiry. However, I understood your inquiry in that way that ...
Getting German Divorce Papers7/8/2007
  Q: If an American has a spouse who moved to Germany and got a divorce there, that you never contested, ...
  A: In Germany, every divorce is declared by a court judgement. The official copies of such judgement ...
child support7/7/2007
  Q: 2 different woman 1 father absent father lives in germany.He plays for the Walter Tigers and is ...
  A: You did not tell where the children live exactly, but for residents of 47 US-states and 11 provinces ...
Divorcing a german - with kids7/5/2007
  Q: I am in the process of divorcing my German wife of 10 years here in California. We have a 6 and a 4 ...
  A: I can only answer your question as far as the statutes in the German international family law are ...
American Rights under German Divorce7/2/2007
  Q: I will try to make this short. My wife started seeing someone about 8 months ago and decided that ...
  A: according to the German international famliy law the answer of your question about rights and ...
German child support6/26/2007
  Q: My question is: How long am I required to pay child support? I have always paid support for my 2 ...
  A: even after attaining of your children´s majority you will be required to support them, if - they ...
American kids, custody in Germany9/22/2006
  Q: I am an American who is still married to a German man. We are going through such a dirty divorce. ...
  A: Rausch-Kling, if I understood your inquiry right the divorce proceeding is already finished. ...
german inheritance laws9/12/2006
  Q: I asked a question badly yesterday. Here is my effort to get it right. My partner was born in germny ...
  A: it is the logical consequence of an adoption that the child´s legal ties to its blood relatives are ...

All Questions in This Category

German Law

Henning Haarhaus

Top Expert on this page