Germany/Rail travel

Can I get rail travel to Saarlouis from either Belgium or Amsterdam ?

Hello Ian,

thank you for your question.

It is possible to go from Amsterdam or Belgium to Saarlouis. However, there is no direct connection. I looked for connections on the website of Deutsche Bahn (the German railway provider) and it looks as if you would have to change trains at least twice. There are several possibilities to get to Saarlouis from the places you mentioned, via Cologne or Luxemburg for example. The reason why you have to change is probably also because Saarlouis isn't a very big city, and so it's not necessarily on the main travel routes.

If you want to check connections you can do so on the English language version website of Deutsche Bahn:
Unfortunately, you won't always get information about the ticket fees, as Deutsche Bahn doesn't have the information of ticket fees from the Dutch or Belgium providers.

So you might also want to check the English language website of the Dutch railway travel provider:
If you are looking for the connection from Amsterdam to Cologne here, you will have to enter "Keulen" instead of Cologne, as this is the Dutch name for the city.

There is also an English language website of the Belgium railway for international travel:

Hope this helps.
Kind regards

I live in Germany, so I am really at the source of politics and culture. You can ask me about entertainment, pop culture, politics of the day, general culture. I am also interested in German history, especially the time after 1945, i.e. the evolution of modern Germany, the division in Western and Eastern Germany, the fall of the Berlin wall. If you're wondering why some things are the way they are in Germany, don't hesitate to ask me, and I will try to give you a helpful answer.

I was born and spent most of my life in Germany. Right now I am living in Northwestern Germany. I am generally interested in politics and culture. Thus, I feel I should be able to help people from other countries understand Germany and German culture a little better.

I studied translation from English and French into German. I've been working as a freelance translator for 5 years now. So, I am able to understand and use the English language.