Germany/help identifying German church & town square

unidentified church
unidentified church  

I am hoping to identify the church and town square depicted in this watercolor:

Would you happen to recognize the scene?

Thank you in advance,

ANSWER: Hello Ethan,

thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, I don't know which church or town is shown on the painting. However, I could post this on my blog and ask around if people know if that's okay with you.

Kind regards

QUESTION: Yes, please feel free to post it on your blog.

Hello Ethan,

I am happy to let you know that I posted the image of the church on my blog, and indeed someone recognized it.
They told me that the painting shows the cathedral of Bamberg. Bamberg is a town in Bavaria, southeast Germany.
Here you can find some more information about it:

The following link brings you to a German website with an image of the cathedral from as good as the same angle as the painting.

Hope this helps

I live in Germany, so I am really at the source of politics and culture. You can ask me about entertainment, pop culture, politics of the day, general culture. I am also interested in German history, especially the time after 1945, i.e. the evolution of modern Germany, the division in Western and Eastern Germany, the fall of the Berlin wall. If you're wondering why some things are the way they are in Germany, don't hesitate to ask me, and I will try to give you a helpful answer.

I was born and spent most of my life in Germany. Right now I am living in Northwestern Germany. I am generally interested in politics and culture. Thus, I feel I should be able to help people from other countries understand Germany and German culture a little better.

I studied translation from English and French into German. I've been working as a freelance translator for 5 years now. So, I am able to understand and use the English language.