Germany/Germany - general help for a research project

Question
QUESTION: I am a primary school student doing a research project on Germany.
In order to get a high grade on my project, I have to interview an expert. Would you be willing to answer approximately 5 or 6 questions about German food, men's and women's soccer teams, and the German language?

ANSWER: Hello Jenna,

thanks a lot for your question.
I'd love to help you with your project and to answer your questions.
Looking forward to receiving them.

Best wishes
Janina

QUESTION: Hi Janina,
Here are my questions for my project.

1. What food items are traditional food items in Germany?
2. Who are the most famous German celebrities/athletes?
3. After the German men's team victory in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which players received the most media attention?
4. What are the German words for (all soccer related terms):
soccer
goal
kick
shoot
pass
score
defender
goalie
forward
midfielder

Thank you so much for helping me!

Answer
Hello Jenna,

thanks a lot for sending your questions. I hope that I can be of help for your project.

Bread - Germany is said to be the country with the largest variety of types of bread. This is partly due to the huge regional variation, that is every region has its own baking traditions. Another reason is the fact that there were always different kinds grain available, like wheat, rye and spelt.
Sausage products / Cold cuts - Just as with the bread, Germany offers a huge (regional) variety of sausages and cold cuts. Traditionally, Germans don't have a warm dinner, but a meal called "Abendbrot" (evening bread). There, you get slices of bread covered with butter and slices of various sausages and cheese. There also many different sausages made for roasting or frying (Bratwurst).
Beer - Another food item with a huge regional variety, even though there is a regulation that says that German beer shall only be made out of hops, malt, yeast and water. This regulation is over 100 years old. There are many large German breweries that are known worldwide, but also many small local breweries, especially in South Germany.

Here's also a link to an article for more research:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cuisine

Actors: Daniel Brühl, Jan-Josef Liefers, Moritz Bleibtreu, Elyas M'Barek
Actresses: Jasmin Tabatabai, Heike Makatsch, Nora Tschirner, Maria Furtwängler
Singers: Helene Fischer, Andreas Bourani, Herbert Grönemeyer
Athletes: all the players of the Soccer National Team: Manuel Neuer, Bastian Schweinsteiger...
also: Nico Rosberg (F1), Felix Neureuther (skiing), Sebastian Vettel (F1)
Maria Höfl-Riesch (skiing), Natalie Geisenberger (sled), Britta Heidemann (fencing)

3.  After the German men's team victory in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which players received the most media attention?
Philip Lahm - Shortly after returning from Brazil, he announced that he would retire as captain of the National Team.
Also, Manuel Neuer, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Müller.

soccer - Fußball (ß is pronounced like s)
goal - Tor
to kick - kicken
to shoot - schießen
to pass - passen / pass - Pass
to score - treffen / to score a goal - ein Tor machen / score - Spielstand
defender - Verteidiger (male), Verteidigerin (female)
goalie - Torwart (male), Torfrau (female)
forward - Stürmer (male), Stürmerin (female)
midfielder - Mittelfeldspieler (male), Mittelfeldspielerin (female)

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Janina

Germany

Janina