Ghosts and Hauntings/paranormal equipment question

Question
Hi what is a frank box,how does it work,how true is it can the results be faked

Answer
Hi James,

"Desperate for evidence." Those are the words that I use for anyone wasting their time, energy and money on a Frank's Box unless one's goal is to purchase an elaborate toy [or a broken radio]. The Frank's Box or Ghost Box has been around for about a dozen years and has undergone at least twice as many revisions. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The premise of this gadget [I use the term gadget for anything that is supposed to be an actual instrument but fails] is to allow communication between the living and the deceased. I can not say enough negative things about this toy. Bottom line is that it is a radio. Guess what radios do? That's right, they pick up radio stations - they are receivers - they receive among other things such as music - voices.

A Ghost Box is a radio that has been permanently altered to scan existing radio stations and to allow small, quick air play of the scanned station to be received before it moves on to the next station. Some have a useless white noise addition. Your car radio does essentially the same thing when you press search. It goes to the next available station and stops. The difference between the two is that the Franks Box keeps on scanning.

I have seen early models that were actually radios purchased from the electronic retailer Radio Shack [if that is not a dead give away that this is a radio I don't know what is] that were merely modified radios to scan stations continuously. The bad thing was is that they looked like radios complete with dials or digital displays of the stations. Later models removed the display so that it looked less like the very thing it is - a radio.

What are the most common things talked about on radios? Numbers such as addresses and phone numbers of advertisers, and names such as artists. What do people who kid themselves by using a ghost box usually ask? What is your name?, when did you die?, how many are you?... in other words questions that require names and numbers as an answer. I can not emphasize this enough...IT IS A RADIO!

Why do I call users of this gadget desperate? They are using a radio to pick up voices and proclaiming the random clips as evidence of the existence of ghosts. Using that type of "logic" I should be able to proclaim that I have a device that actually allows me to see the dead. It is called a television and the other night I swear that I saw the deceased comic Benny Hill on it!!! Oh wait... the television is also a receiver - my bad.

Toys like this are not only a waste, but an embarrassment to professionals in the fields of honest paranormal study and parapsychology in general. It is because of these toys that respect in our field is at a low; the fodder of skeptics and in this case, rightfully so.

My organization has done a lot of RAP work [recorded auditory phenomena] and have picked up many excellent RVPs[recorded voice phenomena - the updated term for evp]. At no time would we even consider using a ghost box. We have too much respect for the area of study that we have embarked upon.

James, I could go on forever bashing this device. Although there are those [the aforementioned desperate and the extremely gullible] who swear that this is a viable tool in paranormal investigation, Frank Sumtion, the "inventor" I'm sure among them, in my and many others [the majority actually] in this area of study, consider it a toy. Incidentally, I thought the radio, using 17 of his patented ideas was attributed to the genius of electronics, Nikola Tesla [some argue Marconi]. However I'm certain it wasn't good ol' Frank! After all, the Franks Box is basically a... that's right... RADIO!

I hoped that this has helped shed some light on this gadget. Should you require any more information, I'm here to help.

Take care,

Ghosts and Hauntings

Greg Pocha