Ghosts and Hauntings/Is Reiki a Cult?

Question

My girlfriend of a year has decided to become a reiki master. I have heard from several of my buddies that this is a cult. She thinks that this will help her see spirits and ghosts. She watches all the tv shows about them. I am also concerned because we are both devote catholics. Will one conflict with the other?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello Norman,

Thank you for contacting me at All Experts, Ghosts and Hauntings with your questions.

Another reiki master? I think that leaves you, me and my cats as the only living beings left on the planet who aren't. Seriously, although the practice of Reiki has reached cult status it is not in itself a "cult" [bear in mind that "cult" is from the root "culture" and Reiki is a part of our culture].

As for aiding and abetting her in the contact with other worldly entities I have my doubts. I suppose the theory is that if one can develop the crown chakra in particular that one can more easily make contact with the ghost and spirit realms. Perhaps in those with latent medium skills that is true. It may also help a handful of those without any medium or psi skills at all. But as with the practice of anything, some will not advance to that level at all. I personally believe that just obtaining the certificate of being a 'Reiki master' [usually after attending 20 - 25 hours of instruction] definitely has to be considered a 'first step' to progress regardless of the title "master" as there are few things worthwhile that can be mastered in three days - in my opinion. I think that the practice is harmless, as with most beliefs - the danger comes when interest and practice becomes addiction and obsession - but it is that way with most things.

As for her faith, Catholic, there may be some conflict as you have asked. Please refer to another question regarding religion that I answered recently for another All Expert client here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Paranormal-Phenomena-3278/2013/4/paranormal-investiga

As well, the catechisms regarding divination and magic, 2115 - 2117 may help. Numbers 2116 and 2117 are:

"2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity."

You will notice that the church 'warns' against the practices. In the Bible God out right forbids it. So perhaps contacting ghosts is not the best choice for a new past time for her. The final decision is neither your's nor mine, but her's.

Finally, should she decide to go ahead any attempt contact she should do so carefully. If not done correctly she could be setting herself up for a whole ton of trouble. There are dangers involved and this area of study is not for novices.  

Well Norman, I hope that this has in some small way been able to help with your concerns. As always, I can be reached here should you require any more help. As an after thought, All Experts does have experts in the Catholic faith who may be able to shed more light on this subject. http://en.allexperts.com/c/religionspirit/262.htm

Take care,

Ghosts and Hauntings

Greg Pocha