Ghosts and Hauntings/What are spirirts

Question
My friend said that she has a Cat's eye, and that she can see spirits
But I have heard that after death, the soul is reborn into a new body. Then how can there be spirits.
And what exactly are spirits? Why have they not attained a rebirth?
And what makes them more powerful than humans?

Answer
ORIGINAL & REVISED ANSWERS
Hello Anne,
I am so happy to have another question from India. I am writing to let you know that I have received your questions. They are excellent, multi faceted and deserve an in-depth answer. I am going to need a bit of time to answer this thoroughly. Please look for a "REVISED ANSWER" from me in the near future. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Yours,

REVISED ANSWER:

Hello again Anne.

Thank you for your patience. I returned home late last night and did not open your letter until after 1 o'clock a.m. I wanted to give your answers the time that they deserve, thus my delay.

The first issue that I would like to address is what the three realms of existence are. First, there is the physical plane or Earth Realm. This is what you and I and the rest of the living, conscious world live in and are aware of. The next two are important as they differentiate between the two planes that exist after we leave our physical bodies - after we "die".

The first of these is the Spirit Realm. This is the world that exists in the light. It is where a departed soul is supposed to go upon dying. When one departs from this physical plane there appears a brilliant, pure white light that we are to go into to begin our new lives. It is here that a soul becomes a spirit. A spirit is an evolving and learning being. With time, these evolving spirits can travel between all realms and can return to the physical plane for visits, and then go back home to the light.

The third realm of existence, second of the two afterlife realms, is in between the plane of the physically living and the plane of the spirits. This is the realm of the ghosts. Ghosts are the souls of departed people [and some animals] that have left the earth realm but never went into the light to the spirit realm. The reasons as to why a person never makes it into the light and complete their journey are many and various, and I will not go into details here. As ghosts remain pretty much as they were while "alive", they do not evolve much spiritually. They basically remain the same person - minus a physical body. They are also trapped in that they cannot return to life as they knew it as a living being, and have lost sight of the light so advancement is impossible. The above information is paramount in understanding the rest of my answers to your questions.

The majority of the entities that your friend is witnessing are not spirits. They are ghosts. Occasionally she may see a guardian spirit, or a spirit in visitation, but the vast majority of who she sees are earthbound, lost, self damned, forlorn, confused, agenda driven, etc. ghosts [again the reasons for being in, or remaining in, the ghost realm are staggering].

The reasons that I find for your confusion, as is obvious by your questions and your location of India, is the belief of reincarnation. I have my own personal views regarding the possibility of reincarnation but will not bias my answer to you with opinion. If you wish to read some of my views, you can look at an answer that I gave previously to another All Experts question at:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Paranormal-Phenomena-3278/2012/12/spririt-communicati

The belief in reincarnation is fairly widespread. It is believed to have originated with Buddhism, where it is called "khor-ba" in many Tibetan dialects or "संसार" in Sanskrit. Hindus believe the "atman", i.e. the soul or conscious, takes on a physical body or re-enters the flesh in a non-stop cycle of life, death, life.... Actually the more modern term, to "reincarnate" itself is from the Greek meaning to re-enter the flesh. In even more up to date terms, new age style, is the study of "Past Life Regression". As I am more familiar with the "Bardo Thodol" or Tibetan Book of the Dead I will be making several references to it.

"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from childhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered by such a change." - The Bhagavad Gita 2:12-13. India has been second only to North America in studies of Near Death Experiences, and of course, first with the scientific study of reincarnation. The notable American MD and professor, Ian Stevenson from the University of Virginia, USA [which published 4 volumes of his work in this field]did extensive research on reincarnation, over 2500 case studies. Again, the majority of this work is done in places such as Tibet and India where this belief is ingrained in the very fabric of those societies. So I can see that because of the cultural and religious beliefs of where you are, it can be confusing to perceive a soul that is neither in the process of being reincarnated, nor having been reincarnated after their earthly demise - but rather stuck between states. I will try to ease some of that confusion.

Let's go back to the concept of the Spirit Realm, the world of existence that exists in the light where one should and is supposed to go after their earthly, physical life. In a perfect universe, and if reincarnation is indeed a fact, then it is from this realm where the soul would reside while awaiting rebirth. The cycle would then be earth realm to spirit realm to earth realm to spirit realm... ad infinitum. However, human free will gets in the way of a perfect universe. That free will allows some of us to make the decision to avoid going into the light [the spirit realm] which is where one has to be for the reincarnation process to begin. So if a soul has not, for whatever it's reason, excuse or rational, gone into the light it must then remain earthbound as a disincarnate being as becoming a reincarnate being is impossible from where it is.

According to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, upon death the soul has an immediate chance to go into the light. Another chance follows soon after should the soul "miss the boat" so to speak. However, should he still not make the transition then he will have to go through a journey in the afterlife for a number of weeks, finally ending where he should have gone in the first place. {I realize that this is a VERY over simplified version of the Bardo Thodol, but space is of the essence.] From the light, which the soul has finally arrived at, it begins the reincarnation process... enter another bardo.

Hindu accounts of reincarnation of course differ from the Tibetan ones. However, the overall process is similar. Now if you look back on your questions and replace the word "spirit/s" with the word "ghosts/s" you will see your concerns in a different light. Rebirth cannot be attained because the entities that your friend sees are NOT spirits - they are ghosts. Hindu society is aware of ghosts as you have as many ghost accounts as anyplace else. You just look at them through the eyes of your culture, religion and beliefs as we all do.

In answer to what makes them more powerful than us... being different does not make one more powerful. What is more powerful - a man or a shark? Take the shark out of it's environment and place it on dry land. Take a man off of dry land and throw him naked into the middle of the ocean. What happens to power when one is outside of that which gives them power?  Spirits and even ghosts have an environment that is different than ours, and in that environment they have an advantage. What makes us weaker is that we are incased and limited by our human body. We are also stuck in experiencing life through three spatial dimensions. The dead have no such boundaries. On the other hand, in our realm, in our physical world, we rule.
It is perhaps because of the lessons that can be learned through having this physical body that reincarnation occurs, if it occurs. And if this body is such a great learning tool, a temple of experience, then we have the power. Unfortunately, the majority of us do not realize that. If the ghost world were so powerful, it would only be a matter of time before the living were over-lorded by the dead.

Anne,there is so very, very much that I could write about with this subject and believe me I have barely scratched the surface. I hope that this runaway answer has in some way addressed your concerns. If there is anything else that you need to know about this or other areas of my expertise, do not hesitate to contact me - I'm here to help.

Sincerely,

Ghosts and Hauntings

Greg Pocha