Ghosts and Hauntings/Ghosthunting Equipment Downloads.

Question
Hi Greg,

My  8 year old son has downloaded some of the free ghosthunter software on his computer. What I want to know is how accurate are these things? Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Answer

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts / Ghosts and Hauntings with your question. It is unfortunate that there are some people who put credibility into these gadgets [in my books a gadget is something that is something slightly above a toy and far below an actual tool or instrument that a professional would use].

One of the most popular downloads is something called ghost radar or ghost sonar. These are supposed to use the field produced by a computers wifi signal and any variations in this signal could be due to a ghost presence... yeah, right. The ghost shows up as a blip on a phony radar scope. For example the ghost blip may appear at the 12 o'clock position indicating that it is straight in front of you. However, if you turn the computer 180 degrees so that you are facing 6 o'clock, the ghost blip stays at the 12 o'clock position still in front of you instead of behind you as logic would dictate. I have actually downloaded the program on four different computers and run them side by side simultaneously. A blip may show up on one but not the others. Again logic dictates that it should show up on all four. That never happened.

Often these devices have an additional feature, a random word generator. Not only does the ghost show up... he speaks... again - yeah, right! I put the "ghost" to the test... I wrote down words and asked the "ghost" to read them. Never happened. The gadget has of course been programmed with words that could mean just about anything to someone at some time - a modern version of cold reading. Occasionally, the words may make sense to a particular person, but that is both psychology at work and a coincidence. Nothing more.

Another gadget is the EVP maker. One records their own words, the program breaks the words into syllables and those syllables are then played back at random. The "ghost" is to put syllables together to form words that it want to say... yeah, right. Record to the thing a one syllable word and you have a ghost with a very limited vocabulary. The word "by" would be a good one as it could be interpreted in a variety of ways; bye, buy, bye-bye, bi.

There are a load of programs out there that are free and some that ask you to waste your money on. And 99.9% are indeed a load! They are available for pcs, tablets, android devices and iphones. Of course there are the gullible, the naive and in the case of 'ghosthunters", the desperate for evidence. Your son is young so I'll categorize him as one of the naive, innocent of the facts.

Are these devices harmful. As a rule no. But that depends on the person using them. As long as your son understands this as a toy and that it is just pretend [which are the facts] he should have no more problems than thinking GI Joe is a real solder. I well imagine that if a child were to take the blips and words at face value, nightmares could result, as well as a fear of certain places. You'll have to monitor the situation and if a problem is suspected please inform me and I can help you out in reversing the issue.

I hope that this has helped answer your concerns. In short, these things are fun if one realizes that as real instruments they are useless. Most professionals in this field of study will agree. They are also detrimental and harmful to the study of the paranormal. To have an ounce of credibility in what we do, we have to use the proper tools. After all, hospitals don't use easy bake ovens to sterilize equipment.

Take care,

Ghosts and Hauntings

Greg Pocha