Gifted Children/3 year old puzzle genius

Cindy wrote at 2009-10-01 06:00:15
My grandson is 3years 10 months.  At two he was diagnosed as autistic.  He didn't speak.  With his early diagnosis he speaks, reads at 2nd grade level, knows all the u.s. states and the capitals.  He knows all the continents and all the countries in Asia, Europe, North America, South America, and is working on learning Africa.  He can tell time, add and subtract.  He started doing puzzles at 18 months and now does 100 piece puzzles.  His favorite is the human anotomy puzzle.  He still has some autistic traits, but we are sure he will main stream into kindergarten.  Our big problem is keeping him challenged. Get your grandson tested and learn how to communicate with him in his world.

Janis wrote at 2010-11-15 07:30:59
I am not a medical professional. I am a mother of a child who tested high-functioning on the Autism scale (by a neurologist). We consulted a nutritionist and as a result, took him completely off of gluten. The nutritionist said something about a connection between gluten sensitivity, autism-like behavior and several other symptoms, including ear infections. Anyway, after going off gluten, my son's behaviors subsided considerably. People who have known him for a while agree unanimously that he has become far more flexible, more social, and more content child. Food for thought...

Laura wrote at 2012-07-11 04:23:13
Hello!  I know that it has been a very long time since the origninal post was introduced, but I was wondering what has been discovered with this child over time.  My son is very much like this, and he is diagnosed on the Autism spectrum.  He is now 7, and he is able to do 500 piece puzzles on his own.  He also had multiple ear infections in his first year, and he has had GI issues for as long as I can remember.

Niccole wrote at 2012-12-31 08:14:34
I have a 3 year old boy who has had chronic ear issues (mainly build up of wax).  I knew something was different about him around 1 years old and eventually he was diagnosed around the age of 3 with Autism.  My son is a wonderful little boy who does not speak (except a few chosen words), he is not potty trained, and he is amazing with puzzles.  He doesn't like to show off for people trying to help him (like physicians or teachers), but I can give him a new puzzle and he can usually do it faster than I can.  He is in speech therapy right now and we are waiting to get into different therapies for him.  Between his preschool, home, and speech therapy we have begun to use the PEC system and it has helped, still working on it.  My child seems very similar to your grandchild.

Gifted Children

My biggest area of expertise is in autistic and other developmentally disabled gifted kids (especially creatively gifted disabled kids). I can also answer questions about gifted/talented children in general. I can't answer questions about legal issues and such (eg fighting the education system), but I can answer questions about what it's like for the child and so on. I'm better at dealing with questions about school-aged children than preschoolers.

I am a highly creative autistic person with a tested IQ in the gifted range. I've also read a lot about gifted kids.

Just high school. I'm a first-year student at university.