Gifted Children/Is my 2 year old gifted or just bright

My daughter could recognize her lower and upper case letters by 1 1/2 maybe younger that is just when I noticed it. I did not teach her them. One day we were stopped at a stop sign and she started saying all the letters in the word stop. From there I started noticing that she was recognizing letters on billboards even if they were in cursive. I noticed that she had a long attention span at 6 mths. She has watched little einsteins since she was about 6 mths and has been able to sit through 2 episodes since then. She would probably watch 2 more if I allowed it. She is 25 mths old and can tell you exactly what will happen on each episode before it happens and knows the answer to each question and there are at least 30 episodes that I know she has memorized. I feel like her memory is so great for example she notices things that are misplaced and place them in the correct spot and you only have to teach her or show her something one time and she will remember it. She watched word world on PBS one time and she had the words recognized and could identify those same words. She will look through books for hours and has been doing that since she was about 1. I was able to teach her 1-10 in one day, she now counts everything and recognizes them. There is so much more all in all I feel like her memory and attention span is so much more advanced then other 2 year old. What do you think?

Your daughter is quite advanced, particularly in the use of language. At this time I can't give you an answer about whether your daughter is gifted or just smarter than most of her peers.  Your vocabulary and syntax tell me that you're quite bright.  Some memory and intelligence is passed down in families, you being so smart increases the probability that your daughter is gifted. Fortunately, it isn't important right now to distinguish between the traits.  You're doing the right things to nurture your daughter's intelligence.  

Kids are born with an empty mind. They don't have a lot of "stuff"  to compete with forming new memories.  You've probably heard of "photographic" memory. The medical word is "eidetic" memory. Most kids are born with eidetic memory, but as they learn and new information fills up the mind, the eidetic memory fades away, so when they reach school age only a few percent have retained the eidetic memory.

At your daughter's age everything. everywhere with everyone are learning experiences. You don't have to be concerned about providing intellectual stimulation. It's all around. Overstimulation is likely to be more of a problem. Parents have a duty to make sure that emotional maturing is taking place.

There's an answer on 2/18/2012 "10 month old very interested in books" You'll find a lot of good information and a list of resources.  You can also go to /gifted children for some basics and articles to get acquainted with the topic of giftedness.

Thank you for your patience. Please return to this site anytime. Thank you for letting me serve you.  Your feedback is important.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.