Gifted Children/Is my 21 month old gifted ?

Question
Hello,
I stumbled across your site accidentally. I am wondering if my 21 month old has good memory or is actually gifted. i dont think she is different in her development of motor functions because she walked at 11 months, sat up at 6 months and crawled at 8months. But she was very alert since born and did not look like a new-born baby (ie. glaze-eyed look). She always appeared to be concentrating or assessing everything and would respond to my facial and verbal communication with purpose. When she played with toys she was very engaged, deeply-focused and enthusiatic.  She also displayed signs of boredom at around 6 months, because that is when she would have this glaze-eyed look (like adults do when bored).  At around 7 months old, I noticed that when she was given a new object, she would intensely analyse it by turning it this way and that over and over again. Around that time, she discovered books and she would turn the pages in a similar fashion, almost like she was very curious and eager to know and understand the contents. Once she could crawl (around 8mnths), she would constantly bring books to me and drag my fingers to the words so that I could read them to her. I showed her the alphabet and numbers at around 17months and was very surprised when she learnt all after only a couple of go's. She has known the alphabet upper and lower cases since then. Around this time she learnt the numbers 1-20 easily, and quickly grasped the logical sequence so 21 to 100 was automatic. Using the numbers to count up to 100 followed at around 18months. I taught her in English but then she applied the same logic for Korean and Spanish numbers instantly. She can spell about 10 words now and uses alphabet blocks to form the words as well.  She remembers and recognises sentences and completes them when I am reading her story books. She knows the words of most nursery rhymes (although she is not able to pronunciate clearly yet). She knows the titles of all her books and will say it loudly as she picks them.  She learnt to read the months and days of the week after a couple of go's. She has excellent memory and at times I have been caught out (eg. she asks for a particular book, I say it is not around, and she keeps asking for it and in fact it is there from the night before). She cant write, but if her scribble resembles a letter/number she will correctly point it out. She absolutely loves books and will read them out loud (but not pronunciate properly) when she is on her own. She has been able to name all the children in her child care class since 18months. She also gets frustrated and annoyed if I am struggling or have misunderstood her workds (eg. she says "goose" but I think she said "goat"). She can talk mostly in single words but has started using two-three word sentences since 20months.  Her new child care worker said when she was 16months that she was very smart, to which I laughed as both myself and partner are just average intelligent at best. But not so sure anymore after seing how quickly she seems to learn.  What do you think?

Answer
I just answered a question almost identical to yours. It's posted as "is my daughter gifted or just smart." It may take a few minutes until it's posted.  My recommendation is to read that, An answer 2/18/12 "10 month old very interested in books" also has information and a list of resources. If those things don't provide you the answers you're looking for please return to this site again and let me know.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD