Gifted Children/is my 5 year child gifted?

Question
my 5 year old child has self taught himself to read in the last 6 months, over the last 2 years he taught himself all the phonic language and then the reading began, he can read his older brother's 2nd class reader and can also read the newspaper and anything on the Tv or any sign, since the age of 3 he could spell words like umbrella, xylophone,also type these words on computer, he can also count from the age 2 up to a million etc, also since the age 2 he would recognize numbers like 22 or 345. he has just started to mess around on a keyboard and within 5 minutes he is playing jingle bells, twinkle twinkle etc.  he has also taught himself to count in Spanish, Italian, Polish, and can understand simple phrases in other languages.  He knows how to search anything on the internet by ways of google or youtube, there are lots more things he can do that simple baffle me!  he also has a diagnosis of Autism

Answer
Hello -

Your son's skills are advanced, and it is likely that he is gifted.  It is possible for a child to be gifted and have autism at the same time.  A gifted child can be gifted in one type of skill or thinking, a few or many types of skills and thinking, but usually not all types of skills and thinking.  It can take quite some time to identify and understand the ways in which your son may be gifted, and how you can best help him use those abilities.  Talk with your son's health care provider, or the professional who diagnosed the autism, to find out about testing to learn more about and help him use his abilities.

It's important for you to continue what you are doing to shape his behavior, teaching what's acceptable and not acceptable, helping him learn to function with autism.

"Free Spirit Publishing" (www.freespirit.com) has excellent books and other materials about understanding and guiding children.

www.familydoctor.org is a free service provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians and is good for information about health and family of all ages.

www.healthychildren.org is a free service provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics that has extensive information for anyone raising or involved with children.

Thank you for letting me serve you.  You are welcome to return to this site anytime.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD