Gifted Children/Can you be gifted and dyslexic and can you be gifted without reading and writing well?

Question
I have a dyslexic daughter and a gifted son. My son is 7 and in 4th grade. He skipped a couple of grades. He is a straight A kid. My daughter is dyslexic but shows all the signs of a gifted child. Is it possible for a dyslexic to be gifted? She is very creative and good at things like singing and dancing and acting, rather then reading and writing like my son. Is it possible to be gifted without reading and writing well?

Answer
Yes, it's very possible for a child to be dyslexic and gifted at the same time.  It's possible for a gifted child to have trouble reading and writing. Some gifted people have one or sometimes two gifts that  so extreme that it seems impossible for any human to be that intelligent, like a person who can multiply extremely high numbers almost instantly. We use the word "savant."  There was a movie made years ago entitled "Rainman" in which the actor Dustin Hoffman played a savant in using numbers. For example, when a large box of hundreds of toothpicks was spilled on the floor, he could look at the pile of toothpicks and instantly tell you the exact number.  But he was also very impaired in most other ways; HE couldn't manage a job or care for himself.  Most gifted people are gifted in several ways, but not all, like you notice in your children.  There are many different types of thinking and intelligence, different people have different styles of thinking. It can be complicated.

You can find good reading on many different topics at Free Spirit Publishing (www.freespirit.com).

A very important thing to remember is that even though he's in a classroom with mostly 9 year olds, emotionally he's 7 years old.  He'll get plenty of academic stimulation in a lot of ways and places. WHAT HE NEEDS FROM HIS PARENTS MOST IS TO MAKE SURE THAT HIS EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT GETS THE ATTENTION IT NEEDS, TOO. THAT HAPPENS MOSTLY AT HOME.  It's called "asynchronous" development. You can read about that too.

The most important part of this answer, for your children and family, is MAKE YOUR MARRIAGE HIGH PRIORITY.

Thank you for letting me serve you. Your feedback is important.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD