Gifted Children/Advanced 2 year old- how do I help him grow?

My son is now 2 1/2 years old.  By 18 months he knew all of his letters by sight and could say nearly all of them.  He has a very high vocabulary and good word usage.  He can do simple addition and loves his numbers and shapes.  (He was upset that his Christmas present didn't have a decagon.)  He now knows all of his consonant sound and short vowel sounds.  Recently we have been working on phonics reading of short words and he picks it up really quickly.  His physical development is more on par with other kids his age.  I think he would be considered gifted.  I have two questions.  How can I help him get the intellectual stimulation he needs?  Where can I turn for help?  I don't want to sound like a braggart when I ask for help from other people so I don't know where to turn.

Go to an answer published previously 2/18/12 "10 month old daughter very interested in books"; the age is different but it's well suited to address your questions, provide an overview and additional resources.  After you take a look at that, please get back to me with any additional questions or points for clarification.  I want to be sure that you have an adequate introduction.

Thank you for letting me serve you.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.