Gifted Children/Educational setting for gifted children

I have an 8 year old son who has had quite an educational experience so far.  He was expelled from Kindergarten at 6 for disruptive behavior and that is when we had him tested.  The initial tester claimed that he had ODD and couldnt get through the test with him so she placed him in the 115 range for intelligence.  Since I was there for part of the test (she came and got me from the bathroom while I was changing my youngest's diaper because she was so rattled by my son's behavior!!!#, I knew that he was purposefully #?# answering the questions incorrectly #I know - more or less - what my son knows#.  When I queried him a bit later about the experience he replied "I don't want to give up my smarts and definitely not to that obnoxious #yes he used that word# lady".  So I had him reevaluated by a therapist who specializes in gifted education.  He really liked her and was more compliant but still did not entirely follow the testing procedure #as she put it "He took his sweet time"#.  He did test in the gifted range but she said that she thought the test scores were repressed b/c of the manner in which he did things.  We took the results and results from another psychologist #he was also diagnosed - incorrectly - with an anxiety disorder# and enrlled him in a school that specializes in "social and communication challenges for bright kids".  Although this isnt his cohort #most of the children fall on the spectrum#, the school has worked for us over the past two tears because of their outstanding social thinking curriculum #they take a lot of time to build the community# and because he is in a mixed age class and can work at his own pace academically.  Its all been blissful #notwithstanding the enormous tuition and 2 hr car commute daily# except that he really lacks peer connection.  Although the school does an outstanding job in helping the students relate to one another, my son is definitely the 'odd man out' and really doesn't connect with the others.  I am eyeing schools in my areas - from Waldorf to other models - and am stumped about what to do.  The nurturing environment of his current school brings out the best in him #there are no harsh lights, noises, or ill mannered teachers & students#.  All of these things affects my son negatively.  Ive now seen my son at his full potential #or at least I think so# - where he goes from being essentially a non reader to reading 3 grades above level in a year and from hardly adding to doing linear algebra #no joke#.  Ive also seen my son at his worst - totally non compliant and engaging in psychological terror on his teacher #long story but it is true#.  Next year terrifies me.  Any suggestions?  Ive even considered doing a cross country move to find the appropriate setting.

I can imagine you're feeling exhausted, anxious, angry, worried, confused, disgusted, and (did I miss anything).  Right now, along with me, slowly take a deep breath in, then slowly out; let your shoulders relax and drop.  They tend to want to hunch up around the ears when a person is anxious.  

Take another deep breath. Take a few moments to feel good about you.  You're extraordinary, with all you're dealing with you keep going, and do so with maturity.

I want to ask a few questions which will help me give you a good answer. Is your son's father involved?  Do you practice a religion?  How many people live in your home? Are there siblings? Do you work outside your home?

You are not required to answer, but it would be helpful. I'll give you some time with the questions and I'll come back late afternoon or evening.

Dr. Coleman

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.