Gifted Children/gifted?

My 2.5 year old son always seemed to reach developmental milestones early. He walked at 9 months and was potty trained at 25 months. Since he was 15 months he has loved the alaphabet. By 18 mo the he knew all letter names and sounds. By 26 months he read cvc words and familiar stories. He just turned 2.5 and he is writing all the letters forming them correctly and attempts to read every word he sees. He initiates all the letter play and is somewhat obsessive about them. He also knows all 50 States and puts state puzzles together on his own(always in the same order Texas first. The highest Ive heard him count is 130 and he recoginzes address on our walks 741,743 and asks where 742 is. He counts groups of objects up to 20 and knowsshapes even hexagon cube cone cylinder. He looks for words everywhere we go and remember the colors of the letters we see at differently places,  even weeks later. Other people are amazed at the things he does all on his own as are we. He tends to play with older kids at the park and follows them around but is also very friendly with kids his age and loves babies. He just loves learning and absorbs everythinv so quickly. Ive read that children are not tested for being gifted until at least 5, and at his 2 year appointment the doctor said he was advanced but still within the normal range of development. I'm wondering if this is still in the normal range or if these are signs he is gifted.

I lean in the direction of seeing your son as gifted.  Tests become useful at age 4-5. You don't need to do anything different about stimulating his intelligence right now. He needs you to establish in him a solid foundation in social/emotional/people skills. Attention to that is very important because it's often crowded out by excessive attention to intellect. He'll never lack for intellectual stimulation, and may seem way beyond his age in academic thinking, but emotional development stays close to age.  It's called "Asynchronous development." It's important for parents to always be mindful of that difference, because others tend to have expectations of behavior that are too high, and the child's brain and nervous system just aren't developed enough to meet those expectations no matter how many times you tell him what to do, or repeat rules, and there's no role for punishment.

You'll find an answer "10 month old very interested in books", posted on 2/18/12, in which I address some basics of giftedness and there's a list of resources.

Thank you for letting me serve you.  Your feedback is important. Please return to this site any time.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.