Gifted Children/Is my two year old advanced?

My daughter turned two this past August. It is December now and she can recognize lower and upper case letters, she can count to 30 and by 10s up to 100. She knows all her shapes including rhombus, octagon, heptagon, parallelogram, and other polygons. She is obsessed with dinosaurs. She can name at least 7 different ones by specific name or names them by family. She knows about carnivores and herbivores, she knows that plants, like flowers and grass. grow from seeds in the ground. She knows that birds, alligators, and turtles come from eggs.

She is also really sensitive emotionally. She has never liked smaller children. While in daycare, there was an infant learning to stand and she would cry if the poor girl got near her. She also shows no interest in petting any animals. She will play with them but doesn't care to sit and touch them. If she does pet them, she pets them by barley touching their fur. She has never been aggressive. Not once has she ever bitten or hit someone out of frustration. If she gets upset or frustrated she tells me that she is going to sit down until she feels better. She hasn't had a bad tantrum yet. I usually don't have to swat her behind because she follows directions and listens well.

When playing with other children, if they take a toy from her or become aggressive, she will just stand there and look around in a confused manner. A few instances children her age have tackled her to the ground and she lies on the ground, almost traumatized and cries. After that, she will avoid them at all costs - even if she has to give up playing with any toys. She is confused rather than angry.

My daughter has also begun to talk about monsters. She tells me they are sad because they are lonely as they have no friends but she will be their friend.

She has great manners. She cleans up her room without any assistance before bed or will clean a spill she makes. She says "excuse me" when she passes gas or when passing someone, thank you, and I'm sorry if she hurts someone or does something wrong. She greets everyone who makes eye contact with a big smile and a "Hello!" Her pronunciation is particularly well defined. Most strangers have no problem understanding her and she knows exactly what she wants or needs. She will ask for milk, juice, water. A honey sandwich or a jelly sandwich, cheese or bread, cereal or toast. And she asks "May I has some toast, peas?" Her manners certainly melts hearts!

She is mostly potty trained. She cannot take off her underwear alone but will seat herself on the potty when she needs to go. She forgets to wipe but is always eager to wash her hands or brush her teeth.

She has always been extremely independent. She will occupy herself for hours, changing activities at will to keep busy. She doesn't watch a whole lot of television. She will play in her room, look at a book, color, or just meander from one thing to another without someone there to constantly entertain her. She can't sleep with someone in the room and all the lights must be off. She loves to play with others but she is perfectly content by herself.

Right now, she has become particularly good at drawing smilie faces and she draws them all the time. She is trying to draw a triangle but it ends up as a "D," or a strange circle. She loves to rhyme words or asks that I tell her a riddle? She has learned to be very patient. If she is eager to have something before a nap, I tell her she has to wait. She accepts it, goes to sleep, and remembers when she wakes up. (On my bad days, I have used chocolate as a bribe for nap time - only once so far)

I hear so much that people always think their kids are smart but I only have my one child and most of her friends have always been older than her. I thought maybe she would level out eventually but the closer preschool comes, the more I wonder. I spoke to a preschool and they insisted that they don't even cover the subjects she already knows. Our church has a preschool teacher and she commented on how she was the smartest two year old she ever saw. I don't know what average is but I don't know if she is average or advanced either. I hear she is too young to be evaluated but I feel like she is strangely smart and mature, but only because of the praises I get about her. Is this normal or do I have a smarty pants on my hands?

I answered almost the exact same question yesterday. It's posted on the Internet, "Is my 3 year-old gifted?"  One big difference though is that your daughter can occupy herself a lot.  My daughter was exactly the same way at two.  You'll see within that answer a couple other answers to read. Those, put together, lay out what giftedness means and how to guide your daughter.

Thank you for letting me serve you. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.  You're welcome to return to this site any time.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.