Gifted Children/Is my daughter advanced?

My little girl just turned two last month. She was born a month early, so doctors warned me that she may develop a little slower with her milestones. She started speaking a few basic words at four months old. "Nana, Mama, Dada" and now she is newly two and I can have a full conversation with her. She can string a full sentence together such as "I don't like green beans because they taste yucky." Or "Mommy, can I have a delicious milk baba, please?"  She is COMPLETELY enamored of the moon and told me the other day that she was "going to fly a spaceship to the moon and take Mommy, Daddy, Nanie, and Papa with her."

At the age of 12 months, she could recognize about ten letters of the alphabet (upper case) and had the whole alphabet down by 15 months. I had to video tape me showing her flash cards, because not many people believed me. At 18 months, she had upper AND lower case letters down pat and could count to 20. She is now up to 30 and then can count by tens up to 100. She is obsessed with letters and numbers, and every trip to the store is a letter and number extravaganza.

She loves to draw and since 18 months old, she would doodle, but then say "It's a bird!" and it looked like a bird. I know she wasn't drawing a bird intentionally, but she saw it in her doodle afterwards. Now, within the past two months, she is drawing faces with eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and hair on top.

She is very into role playing and has doll houses and acts out scenes with her dolls. She has pretty much been playing  pretend since the age of 13 months. Bringing "soup" to Mommy to eat and things like that. Many people have told me that children that young aren't really supposed to be able to grasp the concept of pretending.

I have several friends with three year olds and she gets mad at them because they can't talk the way she does or pretend and play the way she does. Forget about two year olds, she will pick an adult to play with over a child her own age any day.

I was advanced when I was little. I went to first grade at age four and college at 17. I have heard that gifted children run in a family most times. I'm just shocked with all of the things that she can do. I think I may have answered my question while typing this, but I'm not an expert. So I am coming to you.

My mother keeps telling me to be careful because when she finally gets to school, she will know most of the stuff that the teachers are teaching and then get bored in school and start acting up. I don't believe I was ever that way, but I can't STOP her from learning this fast. It just happens. Lol.

My question is, would you say, based on this letter, that my child is gifted? Is there anything that I can do to encourage her learning? Is there really a reason to worry about her starting trouble when she starts school because she isn't learning anything and bored? She doesn't have an insane temper, just throws a minor temper tantrum about once a day and a crazy temper tantrum maybe once every week. I don't see any behavioral problems beyond what a normal toddler should do.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you have a great day!

Yes, your daughter is advanced.  You are right that high intellect runs in families, and that contributes to your daughter's intelligence. Her language skills are remarkable.  Her drawing of sophisticated (for her age)figures is remarkable.

There is an answer that was posted 2/18/2012 "10 month old daughter very interested in books."  Even though your daughter is older, the information suits her well.  You'll find a list of resources that you can trust.

You don't need to take any action to encourage her intellect.  At her age everything is a learning experience; you couldn't slow that down if you tried.  What is extremely important is that you stay mindful of her emotional development. That is discussed in the above reference.  Even if your daughter does at times feels bored she must be taught appropriate behavior to handle that and it must not be used as an excuse for misbehavior (I'm not suggesting that you or she would do that.)  There is no reason to assume that when she starts school there will be behavior problems, especially since you will be teaching her appropriate behaviors.  The resource "Free Spirit Publishing" has material about every aspect and feature of giftedness, both about your daughter, what that means for parenting, academic learning, emotions, effects on the family and even things that your daughter will be able to look at and read.

Please take a look at that and get back to me with any questions.  I want to make sure that you feel like you have received good service from me and that you are confident moving forward.

Thank you for letting me serve you.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.