Gifted Children/strange coincidences from my 18 month old

My 18 month old daughter does some things that seem to indicate she knows way more than she should.  For example,  one night I was discussing what type of dictionary my son needed for school, and my daughter went to the bookshelf and picked out the exact dictionary that I said he should take from about 7 different dictionaries and brought it to me.  Another time my husband was telling me that his brother and sister in law were coming to town.  My daughter happened to have my cell phone in her hand and she called my sister-in-law’s number even though it wasn't in the recent calls because I NEVER call her.  Is it normal for these types of “coincidences” to happen like that? Especially when she hasn't shown that she is exceptionally advanced. (ie she doesn't know how to read or even most of her letters)  I don’t necessarily think that she is “gifted” as in academically advanced although she does seem to have a larger vocabulary than my other two children at that age, so what would explain these types of behaviors.

Some kids can be so smart that it's scary. I've had similar experiences with my daughter. I lean in the direction of seeing your daughter as gifted. What she did was remarkable.  Even the most gifted kids can't read or know the alphabet at only 18 months, so not knowing those things does not at all mean that she isn't gifted.

Giftedness can be confusing - it has so many different faces.  The most common type of giftedness is a general giftedness across many skills and academic areas, but not genius. A lot of gifted kids have learning disabilities also, even autism. They may have giftedness to one particular skill to an astonishing degree - we call those kids savants. Testing at your daughter's age is not useful, and you don't necessarily have to do anything differently from what you do with her now, no extra intellectual stimulation that is.

I encourage you to begin learning about giftedness. There is a previous answer at 2/18/2012 "10 month old very interested in books." is a good place to start.

At you'll find many brief articles about giftedness. The woman who manages the site used to be in the position I'm in now.

Get acquainted with Free Spirit Publishing,, which is a treasury of resources for kids and family, games, books, etc about all different styles of learning including giftedness, and character, behavior, etc. Don't get sucked into the people/programs/web sites that claim authority about giftedness and learning, but are really just preying on parents who want to give their kids the brightest future possible. You can trust the ones I've named above and below.

For general health and well being in kids it's good to know about, a service of the American Academy of Family Physicians, and, a service of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Just as I tell all parents, the number 1 thing parents can do for their kids is to make their marriage high priority. Number 2 is to have so much family fun that you can hardly stand it!

Thank you for letting me serve you. Return any time.  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.