Gifted Children/My Grandson doing jigsaws

My Grandson is 2 1/2 and is doing 100 piece jigsaw puzzles. He also knows the whole alphabet both upper and lower case and counts to 10. I believe this is above average but do you think it is exceptional? He is also very particular about things being in order,such as blocks put together by size and colour, books stacked according to size from biggest to smallest.He also knows most shapes including oblongs,rectangle, square and is aware they are all similar but different.

Your grandson is blessed to have such a caring grandmother.  Yes, I think his ability with puzzles and his ability to sort and group in a variety of ways, (color, size, etc) and recognize letters is exceptional. It's a bit early, and more information would be needed, to give an opinion about giftedness, but certainly there is reason to keep that in mind. You're doing a good job with using everyday living experiences as teachable moments.  If you would like to know more about learning differences you can go to which has basic knowledge and some topics within the subject of giftedness presented in short articles and lists.  Another very good resource is "Free Spirit Publishing" which has so many useful and fun materials about kids and learning, family, character, discipline and the importance of having fun that it could be dangerous for someone with a credit card and a curious mind.

Thank you for letting me serve you. Come back anytime.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.