Gifted Children/3.5 year old: Gifted, normal, or otherwise

My daughter is precocious for sure. A law into herself. In many ways she's always seemed advanced and in some ways behind, but at her own logical insistence. She always refused to be trapped in cribs, bouncy seats, highchairs, swings, and slings. When she began to talk and would see other babies in them she would get upset and say, "he needs to get out!" "He doesn't want to be in there!" This at the age of 2. She emediately began working to grip with her hands and could put a pacifier back in her mouth by 3 months, feed herself Cheerios and use a spoon by 6 months. She was painting and holding a brush properly by 1.5 years. She never really crawled, started pulling up on things at 10 minths, and then stood up and walked across the room at 11 months. Her language, motor skills,language, ability to read emotions and empathizes or project emotions, and motor skills have always been advanced to me. She's alway played with a purpose, arranging items in groups and families since she was 1.5, imaginative role playing about the same time. Very impatient, perfectionist, sometime obsessive preference for the order if events. But when it comes to letters, numbers, reading, potty training, she's not advanced and maybe behind. So I'm not sure what to think. She asks a lot of intelligent question and poses many logical answers. She has always enjoyed building blocks, painting, and movement. She's very visual and emotional. But I don't for see early computations or reading. What does this mean? She's so impatient, demanding, stubborn, particular, barely eats, barely sleeps, is go from the time she gets up until bed at around 5 am, on the go with a purpose. Bossy, sensitive, hates the idea of growing, or getting bigger. Insists she's still a baby and refuses potty training. When she turned 3 and we asked how old are you she got upset and said, "I'm not old!"

Hello, There is an answer 3/6/13 "baby talk, lots of baby talk."  Your daughter is older and speaks well, but the rest of my answer is well-suited to your question.  I recommend reading that, and please contact me again for any questions that come up in your reading or anything you feel wasn't covered sufficiently to meet your needs.  At that site you'll see resources listed for further reading.

It seems intuitive that gifted kids would potty-train early, but the opposite is true. One reason is that they can get so focused on their activities that they don't want to interrupt their play to use the bathroom.  Another reason is that gifted kids often prefer to observe and process information mentally before they attempt new behaviors. They want to feel confident with something new; they don't like to make mistakes. I can say with conviction that she will not start 1st grade still in diapers. It's good that you don't force the issue, although I'll bet you are getting comments like "She's STILL in diapers! She should be trained by now!" Ignore those comments, don't let them cause you to doubt yourself about the training.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.