Gifted Children/Gifted 5 yr old

My five year old daughter's Pre-K teacher believes she is gifted.  She has suggested that I get my daughter tested to see exactly how gifted she is.  But, the school system is not exactly keen on the idea of testing a student so young (they suggest after seven years of age#. Having these tests done privately isn't affordable at the moment, so I'm in a bit of a pickle.  
 We try very hard to keep her stimulated, but most games,toys,learning activities are very short lived. She tends to fly through workbooks, and when something is a challenge to her- she becomes obsessed with it. #i.e. a new, challenging game on her hand held device or learning to hula hoop - the hula hoop period lasted for weeks and didn't end until she mastered three hoops at once) But, once her 'obsession' ends - she's done with it, except for random revisits to make sure she's still mastered that skill.  
So, I guess my main question would be "What advice would you give to someone who can't afford private testing and has a reluctant to test public school system?"
Also, could you recommend reading for us as parents of a gifted child?  After some online reading, I truly believe she is gifted.....her Pre-K assessment scores plus her behaviors I feel are spot on with every checklist, article, etc.
      Thank you!

ANSWER: Don't worry about the testing right now.  It's often over-emphasized.  It starts being useful at 4-5 years of age, and gets more accurate as the child gets older.

Previous answers good for you:

2/18/12 "10 month old very interested in books" which is quite lengthy.  Even though
       daughter is older, it's appropriate for her, too.

7/22/12 "Should we get our son tested or wait?"

6/18/12 "On-line IQ tests for gifted."        

There is a list of resources at that sight.  You'll love Free Spirit Publishing  There's one exception - I no longer recommend "Children: the Challenge."
I reread it recently and was tolerant of some physical punishment, which is never OK.

Several points which are worthy of stating over and over:

For your family to thrive, MAKE YOUR MARRIAGE HIGH PRIORITY.

No matter how smart a person is, if they can't get along with people, they have little chance for success and fulfilling relationships.

Have as much family fun as possible. Laugh a lot. Be silly. Create family traditions and rituals.

Please get back to me with any questions sparked by your reading, or specific matters for your daughter only.

QUESTION: I would say I'm unclear on the correct path to take - some say test now, before we have major behavioral issues caused by boredom (we have had some minor issues in Pre-K stemming from boredom).....some say wait, it's not going to be accurate until she's older.  I'm just unclear on how to proceed.   Not so much that you are just seems all the info is conflicting.  I've spoken w/ her pediatrician and now my daughter will be going for an autism screening - the doc didn't seem to think she's autistic (Asbergers)but wants to eliminate it as a cause for my daughter being behind on social/emotional milestones.   Also, the school system will test her - but they want to wait until after she starts Kindergarten. To give her the chance to mature a bit more and see how she responds to a different curriculum.

ANSWER: Thank you for getting back to me.  Are you feeling ok with the plan now, or would you like  additional comments from me?

The pediatrician saw my daughter - she was in for a check up for her allergies.  I asked the doc for advice on the how to proceed b/c of her Pre-K teacher stressing to me how gifted she is.  After she (Doc) quizzed me for about 30 minutes she said she wanted my daughter screened for autism (asbergers specifically).  I do have a nephew with Asbergers, but I've never been able to spend any time with him.  From what I'm told he's a completely brilliant child, but suffers from alot of social anxiety.
 I am worried that she will be misdiagnosed, I've read that alot of gifted kids are misdiagnosed with asbergers, ADHD, etc.  My intention is to research Asberger's more to see what I think about this screening. The appointment hasn't been made I have time to think things through before we do this.

You're handling this complicated concern very well.  

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is the agency/organization that sets children's health policy, issues statements about pediatric care, is the highest word on disease, treatments, learning problems. They have an information site that's free, and my experience with them is that they have very rigorous standards for medical care and parent information. You can feel safe with trusting the info you get on that site. That's a good, well-written, place to start and not too overwhelming.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.