Gifted Children/Gifted child?

Question
I have read quite a few articles on gifted children. My daughter is 3 years and 4 months old.  When she was 1 year and 3 months old, she could identify numbers and alphabets. By 2 years and 3 months she could do simple additions and subtractions , read simple words. Now, she can do carry over additions, knows time to a certain extent and can read sentences.  The thing is she is interested only in math and not at all interested in reading or doing any other activity. Whenever she feels bored, she just starts doing math problems. Is my child gifted? A few weeks ago we unknowingly told her that there are other concepts such as multiplication and division.  From then on she was hell bent on knowing to multiply and divide.  She knows simple 2 and 3 multiplication tables.  Is it ok to teach multiplication concepts at such a young age? Her grandparents are against my teaching her multiplication as they think she cannot grasp the concepts. My husbands' IQ is 160 and am I wrong in considering my child to be gifted as well? If she is, do you think teaching her what she wants to know and likes doing, would be wrong on my part? As you might already know, you cannot force a child what he/she doesn't want to learn. It's certainly impossible with a child of her age.

Answer
Giftedness does run in families. I can't say your daughter is gifted with so little information, but I certainly think that is the case.  Testing isn't useful until 4-5 years old; that's when the word is usually applied.

It's good that you are following her lead about teaching the things she has shown an interest in.  It seems a bit odd that her grandparents feel she shouldn't be taught something she may not be able to grasp.  There is no reason not to teach her about what she's interested in. If she gets frustrated she can learn it sometime in the future. It's common for kids to be 100% absorbed in one topic, then suddenly have a new interest they're 100% interested in.

There is an answer posted 2/18/12 "very interested in books" which has a lot of information that will be useful for your daughter also, even those she's older than the child in that answer. You'll find a list of resources you can trust. You'll especially be interested in Free Spirit Publishing. You'll find materials there that will be useful throughout your daughter's childhood. Be cautious about other things you might buy from sources I didn't list.  There's a lot of things that people want to sell to parents trying to give their child a bright future, but they really just want your money.

It would be a good idea to suggest that her grandparents do some reading too.  It will be important to know more and you may be able to avoid conflict with them in such things as you described above. And certainly it's you and your husband who are the decision makers; it isn't your job to make sure other people are happy with the way you raise your child.

The most important thing you can do for your daughter, for your family unit, is to make your marriage high priority.

Thank you for letting me serve you. Your feedback is important.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD