Gifted Children/interpreting SAI score

Question
My daughter took the first grade OLSAT. Her Total SAI is 150. Her Verbal SAI is 144 and her Nonverbal is 136. Please help me understand how she can have a Total SAI that is so much higher than the individual components. Does this mean she has the highest possible total score, but not the highest possible component scores, and if so, how is that possible? Any guidance is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Answer
Hi.  I received an unusually large number of questions in a short period of time. You will get a response; it's just taking a while.

Dr. Coleman

Hello,

It's important to keep in mind that tests are not fool-proof.  There are countless variables that can alter a score: Temperature of the room, time of day, anxiety, being hungry, time of the year, activity of the proctors, region of the state or nation,home environment, unskilled or inexperienced interpreters, etc.  Experts and test designers are quick to say that their tests can contribute to or guide education, but scores should not get too much emphasis and must be used only within the context of the whole child. The scores are not who the child is, and alone are not determinant of their potential.

Although they're called "standardized" tests, different school districts use them differently, scores that say "average" or "gifted" are not consistent from one district to the next.

Your daughters' scores are within the margin of error.  I recommend that you call the superintendent's office, ask for an appointment with someone who can help your understanding, how the district uses the tests, and what that means for your daughter.

Thank you for letting me serve you. Ask questions of me any time.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD