Gifted Children/Lazyness and giftedness

Question
My 4 year old son has been evaluated and tagged as highly gifted by local Psychology University. Since he was one year old, he learned things, and did things, that were way ahead pairs.But in school and at home, he doesn't want to do almost anything. He's teacher complains he never finishes any work, and he's very slow doing anything. At home, he just concentrates in things that he loves, and that are a knew challenge for him, but he almost doesn't play, doesn't draw, doesn't color, and if i let him, he would spend all day in computer or watching TV. He's also very active, and i'm worrying because he never stands still, he's always jumping, and restless, he cannot seat quiet for a meal, even a quick one, or even for simple tasks. He often hurts himself, because of being so restless.  Is this common among gifted children? Should i worry for some kind of disorder?
How can i motivate him when he has to learn new things, that doesn't interest him? Sometimes i can do this with a reward, specially with candy, but i don't want to spend all his life rewarding him, in order for him to do he's work.
We live in a very small town, in Portugal, and there aren't any gifted specialists here where we live. i would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Answer
Hello,

You did the right thing by writing. It will be Thursday or Friday when I can give you an individual answer.  Until that time, these are the best for you to read; the moms have the same kind of issues that you're dealing with:

1. 4/28/2012 "Behavioral issues in my possibly gifted child"

2. 2/24/2012 "Keeping such a bright child entertained"  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD