Gifted Children/How to nurture my 4 year old highly gifted child

My son is just 4 years old, and i already have exhausted my creativity. I have bought all toys that could challenge him (for ages 5+, 8+, 10+). He explored them and run out of them very quickly. I took him to Botanical Gardens, Sea Life Exhibitions, Zoo, Museums, etc, etc. He loves this, but i can't do it in a daily basis.
With only 4 years old, he reads, knows about planets and galaxies, fractions, maths, all shades of colors, all sort of shapes (i had to learn some to tell him the exact names), electricity, nutrients and vitamins, human body organs and their functions, music theory, reading music sheets, etc, etc.
He also has a perfect pitch ear, and he plays some classical music excerts, and children songs, he learned just by himself, in toy instruments.

Lately, i feel exhausted, and lack creativity.
I can see that he is bored, but i can't give any more. When he's bored, and lacking a new challenge, he just watches TV and plays on the computer.

I feel as if I had worn all resources, and worry what to feed him next, to keep him motivated.

I also lack talking to parents with gifted children. It would be very good to have someone who understood. Normally people just criticize how much he knows, and how he will get bored at school, etc. I live in Portugal, in a very small town, and we are really far behind in giftedness topic.

I want to thank you all, for providing this service. I was reading some questions, other mums did, and identifying with many of them.
And all the answers i read are excellent, and try to meet parent worries.
Thank you for making us feel we are not alone.

Thank you for your patience.  It seems that anything we have to feel alone about is much more frightening and harder to bear, but we can get through almost anything if we don't have to do it alone.

There is one more older answer I'd like you to read. It's 2/18/2012, 10-month old very interested in books.

The three answers I referred you to contain the things I would tell you , but I want you to be aware of additional resources. is a free information service of the American Academy of Pediatrics.  The info is all about kids. is a free information service of the American Academy of Family Physicians.  It has information for families and people of all ages.

You can feel safe and confident that those two sources have information you can trust.

There are some web sites on which many moms can connect with other moms.  There are millions of moms like you who are feeling very isolated, even in big cities, with people all around, it can feel lonely. Some let you ask questions of the general community.

For the sites with other moms I want to give you a few words of caution. THEY ARE NOT HEALTH OR CHILD PROFESSIONALS.  You may see questions or answers that a mom may believe are correct, but as you know, some people like to rush in with advice they may believe is right, but can be very wrong, even dangerous.  If you see health or child-rearing comments, be cautious, especially if it's medical.  Verify it with another source that I listed above.  You can make lots of Internet friends and much of it is safe, fun and healthy, just be careful.  Let me know how things go.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.