Gifted Children/Lily can operate home theater

My daughter just turned 18 mo. She can turn on my home theater and insert a DVD. This is a sequence of seven buttons plus inserting the DVD. I'm thinking Lily may be ahead of the curve a bit mentally. Your thoughts?

It would be inappropriate for me to speculate based on one activity whether or not your daughter may be gifted.  Having said that, your acuity in making observations, associating abstract thought with concrete acts and ideas, your vocabulary and syntax, tell me that you are of higher intelligence.  Some component of intelligence is hereditary. She's got that in favor of being gifted.

The two most important things you can do to nurture her is to:

1. If you are married, make your marriage high priority!  
2. Consciously nurture your daughter's emotional well being and "people skills."  Those tend to get left behind by excessive emphasis on intellectual stimulation. It's called "asynchronous development"  No matter how smart someone is, there is little chance for success or fulfillment if they can't get along with people.

At her age everything, everywhere, everyone is a learning experience.  You don't need to be overly concerned about formal learning.  Testing is not helpful until age 4 or 5. Read the answers June 2012, Online IQ Tests, and Feb 2012, 10-month-old very interested in books.  The info is pertinent, even though their ages are different.

It'd be a good idea to recheck your child-proofing.  A toddler shouldn't have access to anything electric, that could be toxic or lodge in her throat.  Curiosity and wanting to be grown-up can be especially dangerous for extra-intelligent kids.  "If the DVD fits, I wonder what else could go in there, hmmmmmmmm, a quarter? a cookie sheet? maybe a butterknife?"  They don't have the knowledge to know all the consequences, or the internal controls to bring those to mind when the wheels are turning at lightning speed in their brain.  It's just another learning task in childhood.  You are't being mean or scolding, you're teaching in a matter-of-fact voice: "These electical things can be dangerous. At three and four, kids are ready to use those without a parent by their side."  It keeps it out of becoming a control issue.

These are gold:

1. Free Spirit Publishing,

2.  The American Academy of Pediatrics, health, well-being, medical info about kids.

3.  The American Academy of Family Physicians, like the AAP site for all ages and lots of definitions of "family."

4., formerly associated with this service. Brief articles and info

Be careful about sites which are more interested in income than children's good.

Thank you for letting me serve you.  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.