Gifted Children/7 year doing math

Hi, I have a son who turned 7 on the 10th of sept, He loves to play soccer, go fishing, plays outside most of the time,rides his bicycle,plays chess and computer games, he is in first grade. Since he was in kindergarden he has caught the attention of his teachers in regards to his math abilities, but now i'm really impressed with the speed he answers some math questions(he likes me to give him math operations and he answers, quick and with a high percentage of accuracy, and how he uses math in daily basis, every number he comes accross he turns into let your brother have it 5 minutes.replies: i count to 300 seconds and not one more.
he does adding subtracting, multiplications that are ridiculous for this age,in the millions.He likes to play chess(he beat me once!). He is bilingual in spanish and english. Should i do anything in particular? I live in Argnetina, in the patagonian Andes, and the availability of proffessionals is limited.

Your son's ability with numbers is impressive. Does he seem extra bright in other ways as well? Giftedness manifests in many ways.  Some kids have one gift, others in a number of different ways and some kids are brilliant in some way but also have learning disabilities or have difficulty with social skills.

There is a lot you can do, even remotely, just as you contacted me.  It used to be that education was about knowing facts and expressing those.  Now, there's such a plethora of information available almost instantly, that that old system doesn't work well. It's important now to teach "Critical Thinking," learning how to learn, how to look at situations and problem solve, and teamwork.  At "" you'll find excellent material explaining the concept to the family, and they have advanced materials in many subjects including math, at least through grade 12. There are other resources even more advanced.  Other good sites are "" and "

Now that we can communicate all over the world, there are tutors available for teaching advanced students or for homework.  Some have a fee, others are free.

It is an option for you to have your son take advanced courses, even college level, on line.

With a tutor or online course, make sure you check them out thoroughly before signing up, especially if there's a fee involved.  There are many people and products out there which claim to be experts in gifted kids and course-work, but they really are just preying on parents like yourself, wanting to give your child the best start to a brilliant future.

In addition to the sites I mentioned above, you can trust these resources:

Free Spirit Publishing,, excellent stuff for understanding kids' different ways of learning, building character, ethics, family dynamics, etc., The American Academy of Family Practice site for health, medical, and family info.,  The American Academy of Pediatrics, similar to, but kids only.

One of your most important parent jobs is to be the guardian and guide for your son's emotional development.  Intellect can be years ahead of calendar age, but emotional development stays close to age. That gets overshadowed by the attention given to academics, but no matter how smart someone is, if they can't get along with people and manage their own behavior, they have little chance of success and fulfilling relationships. You can read more about that with materials you find on the site.

The most important things to do for your son to thrive are: 1. If you're married, make your marriage high priority, and 2. Have lots of family fun.

If you have trouble finding resources or have more questions, please get back to me.  Thank you for letting me serve you. Your feedback is important.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.