Gifted Children/cogat

Question
My 11 year old son ability profile is 9E (Q+). I understand the 9 but what do the other letters and symbol mean? Thanks.

Answer
The "E" indicates there may have been inconsistencies across the test, i.e. questions alike in nature received different responses. or the student did not complete all items, or their is some reason to question the integrity ad validity of the scores.

The (Q+) means your son significantly excelled in quantitative items - indicating talent with mathematics.

The test's publisher has an excellent site in which you can enter the score and receive a detailed interpretation, free.

www.riverpub.com/products/group/cogat6/results.jsp

There is an answer from me at 6/2012 re: "on-line IQ test" which will be useful to you as well, the principles and precautions about putting too much emphasis on test scores. Just substitute "cogat."

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD