Gifted Children/Grandson

Question
QUESTION: I first noticed my grandson's advanced behavior on a trip to the grocery store.  At 14 months he repeatedly pointed to the shelves of products and identified letters and their sounds regardless of print script etc.  He could accurately give me the sounds of 18 letters of the alphabet including letters with different sounds like C "see" and "K" sound.  By age 2 yrs 7 months he was reading 1st grade readers with appropriate inflection etc.  He is now 4 yrs 1 month and he can add and subtract number thru 20.  Count past 100.  He links numbers and patterns without a problem.  He has finished a first grade level workbook on mathematics, reading and spelling.  I want to purchase him an appropriate curriculum to begin doing at home with his mom.  He loves doing paper work and can write all letters of the alphabet and can color pictures within the lines for the most part.  Please advise

ANSWER: Hello,

For some reason I wasn't notified of your question. I just found it now. I'm sorry you've been waiting.

I'd like to ask you a couple questions, if I may?  I'm wondering why you are looking for a home curriculum, out of a number of available options. Has your grandson's mother discussed having a home curriculum, and expressed the intention to commit to such a labor-intensive endeavor?

QUESTION: His mother was educated at home.  (She went to college on a full academic scholarship for aeronautical engineering)  Her husband was educated in public school and has a post graduate degree in computational mathematics.  They have decided to educate their children at home.  They reside in MA.  My daughter is looking for workbooks etc.  for him.  He loves to do "book work".  Both my daughter and her husband are committed to educating their children at home and understand the challenges this will represent.

Answer
Thank you for your responses - they are helpful.

There are 2 resources which are absolute treasures:

Free Spirit Publishing, www.freespirit.com, has books, family games, and more, about gifted children, academic development, and as important, if not more so, emotional and character development. It may require considerable rigorous self restraint when looking at the catalog , though, because their materials are so great it's hard to not buy armloads of their material.

The other is the Critical Thinking Company, www.criticalthinking.com, which is also a rich resource. Over the last few years there is a movement to teach critical thinking. Rather than memorizing tons of facts, we need to teach our kids how to think and problem solve, learning how to learn. The whole family can enjoy the multi-level materials.

There is a previous answer of mine which will be useful to you, from 2/2012 "10 month old very interested in books." The ages are different, of course, but there are a few issues I address, about being gifted, that apply to your grandson as well.

You're always welcome to write to me again.  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD