Gifted Children/My 2 year old is clearly gifted, now what?

Question
My son started reading at 22 months old.  He's now 2 and a half and he's reading new books daily that contain 2, 3 and sometimes 4 syllable words.  He can count to 100, knows the planets, the days of the week, the months of the year, can identify the United States on a globe and he can type simple sentences into Microsoft word (using one finger of course).  He also understands basic punctuation and has been asking me about contractions this week (i.e. "won't, can't, etc.)  He's funny.  He tells jokes that are sometimes shockingly sophisticated.  

My question is - now what?  I know this kid is absurdly smart for his age.  Do I tell his nursery school next year?  Do I prepare to get him into some kind of special school?  Can he still just go to a regular kindergarten even though he's so far ahead?  Should I have him evaluated independently by someone and if so, who?  I'm proud of him and I encourage him daily but I'm wondering if there is something else I should be doing - especially when he starts school.  I don't want him to be a weirdo or feel like he's abnormal in some way but I also don't want him to be bored and lose interest in learning.

Answer
It sounds like you have quite a remarkable son. This is a good time to start learning about what it means to be gifted. It affects everyone in the household, not just the gifted child.  Free Spirit Publishing, www.freespirit.com, is an outstanding resource for information about all aspects of raising a gifted child. I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information in this response. You'll be reassured, when you see the resources available, that you'll have guidance throughout your child's upbringing, as he moves through various developmental stages.

As your son approaches school age, you'll be more knowledgeable about getting his intellectual needs met, whether that's in public school with gifted accommodations, private school, home-school, or a combination of options.

There is often a tendency to over-emphasize intellectual development, at the expense of emotional development. Your most important task is to be the guardian of your son's emotional development. A gifted child may be years ahead of age intellectually, but emotional development stays close to age. It's called "asynchronous development". There's a strong pull to think of the child as advanced emotionally, and others will respond to him that way, which is why it's so important to stay mindful yourself of his emotional development. Gifted kids need consistency and firm boundaries even more than kids with average intellect. He needs you to be the parent, the adult, even when he thinks and acts like he should be running the household. He needs you to teach him "people skills", such as communication, tolerance, respect for self and others, good manners, cooperation, etc. No matter how smart someone is, if they can't get along with people or manage their behavior, there is little chance of success or fulfilling relationships. A child with a balance of academic stimulation, play, and rest, will do better academically than a child with overemphasis on intellectual development.

The most important thing you can do for your child is, if you're married, to make your marriage high priority. Have lots of family fun and make memories.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you for letting me serve you. Return anytime.  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD